• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I've run 20 cases through the sizing die. The bullet falls in most of them after sizing. I've tried Lee, Lyman and RCBS dies. I tried the seating die to tighten them up some. Only to have the edge of the neck rolled.
    I loaded 100 rds with these dies without any problems in 2013.
    The box of bullets is labeled 224. Measured a few, all 224.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Is there corrosion on your decapping expander ball? Are you sizing them “full length” enough? Is your die set up correctly? Did Rick Moranis use his family shrinking ray on your decapper? (I’m kidding…)

Are you sure it’s 223 brass? Things like the 25-45 Sharps end up in range pickup. It’s converted brass and only 0.03” wider on the neck.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    It sounds like the neck is not being sized. Are you using a standard full length sizing die or is it a full length bushing type die? Does the die have an expander button on the decapping rod?

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Is the brass "known" once fired?
    measure the neck before resizing, then measure again after.
    May have work hardened brass. Had some LC brass early on in my reloading journey that did the same thing.

Lots of good direction in above posts.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Is your seating depth properly set? It almost sounds like you’re putting the die further into the press where it begins to hit the crimp ring. Back the die off and turn the seating plug down.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    The Lee set is #90502
    The RCBS set is #11101
    Can't read the number on the Lyman.
    All cases are head stamped 223 or 556.
    Based on this information, you have standard full length sizing dies so no problem there.

I like the suggestion above of measuring neck diameters before and after sizing. There should be a significant difference with the type of die you are using.

Are you setting up the die according to the manufacturer instructions?

Do you have some different brass that you can try?

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    All cases were decapped with a universal decap die. I have two 5 gallon buckets full.

"measuring neck diameters before and after sizing." Checked 10 in the last few minutes.
    Before running them through the sizing die they measure .2249. After running them through the die they measure .2246. After running them through the seating die and then the sizing die they measure .221. 221 is the diameter of the expansion part of the decap pin. The bullet measures .2238.

"That is not a solution, for several reasons."
    After adjusting the depth of the die it seems to be doing a pretty good job.
    Now I wish that all my bullets were boattail instead of flat base.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I counted 1,000 cases to work with. Measured until I found 1 at 1.755 and set the seating die to barely crimp the neck. Ran all through the seating to crimp the neck some. Measured with a bullet, separating those that a bullet would fall through and those that won't. Turned the seating die 1/2 turn in and ran those that go through again. Measured again with a bullet and separated. Did that 3 more times until bullet wouldn't fall through any of the cases.
    Used a nail set by hand to expand the neck enough so the bullet would start into the neck.
    Set up for making a few dummy rounds so seating die would be set. Screw the seating die in until it touches the shell holder and adding 1 full turn. Very little crimp on the neck using the RCBS die. Can turn bullet in crimped neck. Press bullet by hand into the case body.
    No crimping action with the 3 Lee's or 1 Lyman seating dies.
    Tried the factory crimp dies, no increase in tension on neck.
    I tried the Lee seating dies by hand. Can push case in until the head is flush with the bottom of the die and touching the crimp area. Sounds like the die is to long.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    If your sized cases are not gripping the bullet, you must determine the root cause of why your sizing dies are not squeezing down the neck to provide proper neck tension and bullet grip. Relying on the crimp to hold the bullet in the neck is incorrect loading procedure. Do not shoot any ammo that relies solely on crimp tension to hold the bullet. To do so is asking for trouble.

Reactions: Leo

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Found the problem, worn/broke linkage handle pin. Replaced with a 4" bolt for now. Sent about 300 through the sizing die last night. Will test load a few dummies today.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    If your sized cases are not gripping the bullet, you must determine the root cause of why your sizing dies are not squeezing down the neck to provide proper neck tension and bullet grip. Relying on the crimp to hold the bullet in the neck is incorrect loading procedure. Do not shoot any ammo that relies solely on crimp tension to hold the bullet. To do so is asking for trouble.
    I agree I bought 200 pieces of Privi Partisan .270 brass on the cheap. .17 cents each. I full length sized them and started loading and the projectiles would fall through the case neck. I don't ever crimp rifle brass unless the bullet has a cannelure. I decided to anneal the case mouths and got a bunch of useable ammo. I've never annealed any of my rifle brass as I don't shoot alot of it. As I understand it, the more you work brass the harder it gets. So I tried to soften it up a bit before throwing it away. It worked and I learned something new.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    As I understand it, the more you work brass the harder it gets. So I tried to soften it up a bit before throwing it away. It worked and I learned something new.
    Work hardened brass wants to "spring back" in the direction of its former dimensions when you size it. Annealed brass has less spring back and will conform more consistently to the inside dimensions of the die. Annealed necks will also provide more consistent neck tension in your loaded rounds.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This comment is not the solution to the original post but something I came across when buying some brass.

In heavy bench rest shooting there is something called "soft seating" They want the bullet to just grip the neck enough to stay in place with finger pressure. They install the bullet long and when the bolt closes, the bullet is just touching the lands. Sinclair sold a variety of reamers so that brass could easily chamber without any sizing. Once someone has thinned the neck way out, it does not respond to sizing and seating bullets normally.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    Years ago I used SAE20W oil to lube cases. A bit messy but no stuck cases.

I thought I'd move up some, spend some money and do as others. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a can of One-Shot. Read the label and applied to the cases. Of the first 10 5 got stuck. That wore me thin. I wiped them down pretty good with paper towels. Got my bottle of SAE20W oil out. Applied very little to my finger, rubbed my thumb on it, rolled a case between them and sized 10 cases before having to get another dab of oil. It took me longer to remove the stuck cases than sizing a 2 gallon bucket with the oil.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

I thought I'd move up some, spend some money and do as others. I went to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought a can of One-Shot. Read the label and applied to the cases. Of the first 10 5 got stuck. That wore me thin. I wiped them down pretty good with paper towels. Got my bottle of SAE20W oil out. Applied very little to my finger, rubbed my thumb on it, rolled a case between them and sized 10 cases before having to get another dab of oil. It took me longer to remove the stuck cases than sizing a 2 gallon bucket with the oil.
    Lanolin, and it makes your fingers soft and smooth, the Mrs. likes that.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Almost all issues with One Shot spray have been linked to user misapplication.

Sorry if that doesn't feel good to hear; it's decent lube, but like many things, there is a technique to it. Actually, a couple work pretty well.

I've reformed brass, sizing enough that I cracked an RCBS die, and never stuck a case. One Shot spray.

I use others, and have used powders for this and that as well. Currently, I like fingertips by hand, but I'm not running batches of 500 - 1,000 cases like I used to.

Top Bottom