• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I recently got a GSG1911-22. With the fake supressor on, the size of the hole looks just like a 45 caliber hole. Having this pointed in yer face (or your image in a mirror, heh) you cannot tell its a 22. If i was going to pick a 22 as a house gun, this would be it. As for concealed carry, my 45 stands ready, heh.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Misses don't count.

My wife simply doesn't like the recoil of a .380ACP or above and she trains with her Walther P22 exclusively. She is comfortable and confident she can make numerous hits to a man sized target. So her primary SD is the P22.

Don't exclude the power of the psycological stop. The vast majority of attackers are either after your stuff and aren't willing to get shot for it, or after you until you put up any type of armed resistance. Only a microscopic few are willing to continue an attack after encountering resistance.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Sounds like all the arguments for a .22 here (save cost) are an argument to go with 5.7x28 FN.

Hmm?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Misses don't count.

My wife simply doesn't like the recoil of a .380ACP or above and she trains with her Walther P22 exclusively. She is comfortable and confident she can make numerous hits to a man sized target. So her primary SD is the P22.

Don't exclude the power of the psycological stop. The vast majority of attackers are either after your stuff and aren't willing to get shot for it, or after you until you put up any type of armed resistance. Only a microscopic few are willing to continue an attack after encountering resistance.

She should look into a PK380. Recoil is very light and the gun is the same manual of arms as the P22. 9 rounds of 380 vs 10 rounds of 22.

SEIPREPPER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    what are the best .22 LR pistols out there for comfort, capacity, and reliability? I work 40 miles from home and if SHTF I want to have a pack in my car ready to get me home. I figure that a .22 LR pistol is perfect to keep in this pack with a lock on it of course in case i am ever in that position...

bigwood1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Ya carry what u want but a misfire on a squirrel is minor compared to a person with a .357 in your face I'm all for reliability

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    what are the best .22 LR pistols out there for comfort, capacity, and reliability? I work 40 miles from home and if SHTF I want to have a pack in my car ready to get me home. I figure that a .22 LR pistol is perfect to keep in this pack with a lock on it of course in case i am ever in that position...

Ruger SR22

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Here are part of the man's conclusions who actually did the "study" referenced by the video in the OP - quoted from the source for convenience:

"Some people will look at this data and say "He's telling us all to carry .22s". That's not true. Although this study showed that the percentages of people stopped with one shot are similar between almost all handgun cartridges, there's more to the story. Take a look at two numbers: the percentage of people who did not stop (no matter how many rounds were fired into them) and the one-shot-stop percentage. The lower caliber rounds (.22, .25, .32) had a failure rate that was roughly double that of the higher caliber rounds. The one-shot-stop percentage (where I considered all hits, anywhere on the body) trended generally higher as the round gets more powerful. ...

In a certain (fairly high) percentage of shootings, people stop their aggressive actions after being hit with one round regardless of caliber or shot placement. These people are likely NOT physically incapacitated by the bullet. They just don't want to be shot anymore and give up! Call it a psychological stop if you will. Any bullet or caliber combination will likely yield similar results in those cases. And fortunately for us, there are a lot of these "psychological stops" occurring. The problem we have is when we don't get a psychological stop. If our attacker fights through the pain and continues to victimize us, we might want a round that causes the most damage possible. In essence, we are relying on a "physical stop" rather than a "psychological" one. In order to physically force someone to stop their violent actions we need to either hit him in the Central Nervous System (brain or upper spine) or cause enough bleeding that he becomes unconscious. The more powerful rounds look to be better at doing this.

One other factor to consider is that the majority of these shootings did NOT involve shooting through intermediate barriers, cover or heavy clothing. If you anticipate having to do this in your life (i.e. you are a police officer and may have to shoot someone in a car), again, I would lean towards the larger or more powerful rounds."

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

You'll probably never have to use your defensive handgun, but if the balloon ever goes up, you're already having a statistically unlikely day. Do you really want to rely on a psychological stop at that point? The decision is an individual one. My approach: Stack the deck in my favor as much as practically possible.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A .22 is all you need if your shot placement is good. That being said, I'd rather have a 9mm.

I have both of the previous mentioned weapon calibers. I prefer the .45 acp

i can shoot my 1911 ever bit as well as my Ruger MK l. And my Ruger MK l is deadly accurate. Now, I can get more rounds off with the .22 accurately, but as long as I make the 1st shot count with my .45...that's all she wrote.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One thing that bothers me about that study. it doesn't say HOW they died. Was it self defense, was it police, or was it a SELF INFLICTED gunshot wound. The latter would certain SKEW the shot count, one through the roof of the mouth, it's all over. And a lot of homes have little .22's laying around.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If 22 is enough then 45 is like Thor's Hammer. Bad guys simply turn into a pile of red goo at only the sight of a 1911.

(Purple? Did I leave it out on purpose or because I typed this on a smart phone? I will let you decide.)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

There are a lot of nice ones. But the Ruger MARK series is undeniably one of the best built guns out there. I have ZERO doubts that my Ruger MK l purchased in 1981...will be shooting far longer than the new SR22's, or the M&P 22's. They are just incredibly over engineered for durability.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    In 1962 or 63 a friends wife's mother was shot in the forehead from about 45-50 feet. The lead stopped in her forehead giving her a bad headache. Dad got 5 years in the pin. Goes to show that it's hard to get through a heard head.

tlivin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Indianapolis
    WHAT HAVE AND IS BEST

The firearm that you have on your person and know how to use is probably the best firearm no matter the caliber. Yes bigger calibers may stop the attacker faster. Me personally I cannot hit the side of a barn with pistols no matter what caliber but with revovlers I can generally hit what I am aiming at. I do agree with the video that training it one of the keys to surving an attack.

Chris m

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I carry a .45 nothing wrong with a 22 it's just I want something to hit them and stop them cold. And in a home I feel as if the 22 would carry through more walls because its such a smaller round and could cleanly punch through drywall

Top Bottom