• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Shooting tiny groups is fun, but I enjoy killing lollipops as much as anything else and I can usually do that pretty consistently at 50 yards with CCI SV. I've shot some nice quarter inch groups with CCI SV and other inexpensive brands, but will admit that the high priced match ammo is certainly more consistent.

guinnb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    Next time we go shooting I'll bring you some of the "Special mod" rounds like I made for Cappy :) Well, that and a box of Eley target for you to try.

ccarver497

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    Greenwood
    I also notice that nobody suggest shooting the different loads blindly. What I mean is load up 5 mags with 5 different brands, label the bottoms and randomly shoot each one without looking to see which one it is yet. I think sometimes it gets into people heads that one Ammo should shoot better through their gun so they try a little harder to make a better shot just to prove somebody wrong. True testing is not knowing what you have and consistently shooting every load with same attitude.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I also notice that nobody suggest shooting the different loads blindly. What I mean is load up 5 mags with 5 different brands, label the bottoms and randomly shoot each one without looking to see which one it is yet. I think sometimes it gets into people heads that one Ammo should shoot better through their gun so they try a little harder to make a better shot just to prove somebody wrong. True testing is not knowing what you have and consistently shooting every load with same attitude.

I like that idea. May try that next time out. I only have three mags so I can only compare three different loads.

Matt

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The only catch is that you should be putting a couple of mags through with each ammo change before judging the groups. The barrel needs "seasoned" with each different ammo's lube, etc. before it can show the rounds actual accuracy.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone have feedback on Aguila standard velocity. 22 ammo?
    Does it compare with CCI SV?

My wife’s Buckmark loves it, but it’s been ho-hum in everything else. Across the board (as a whole for my 22s) it’s not bad, but it’s not great either.

I’ll buy it before any loose bulk 22, Remington branded 22, or the Federal choices below Gold Medal. But CCI SV is still my go to choice.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only catch is that you should be putting a couple of mags through with each ammo change before judging the groups. The barrel needs "seasoned" with each different ammo's lube, etc. before it can show the rounds actual accuracy.

:cheers:

He speaketh the truth. When I do my tests, I lob 3-5 rounds into a separate area of the target before shooting for a group.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    It's not exactly top-shelf, but Wolf Match Target/Extra is pretty solid at a price that won't endanger the kids' college fund.

I haven't shot any of the newer stuff since they moved the contract away from SK and gave it to someone else (Eley?). The SK made stuff was basically SK rifle match in a black box. My CZ liked it very much.

Aguila pistol match (in my rifle) is still the most consistently accurate at a I-can't-believe-its-so-cheap price. Truly sub MOA at 50y. $35 a brick. Totally falls apart at 100y though-- it's 3" or so at 100y outdoors.

Fed UM22 is the best I've personally used at 100y in my 455. Not quite sub-MOA with me behind the wheel. It was slightly better than Tenex and Midas or Center-x.

My best bud's 455 has the Lilja on it and it will shoot the Center-X into legit sub-MOA at 100y. Indoors, admittedly.

Sub-MOA at 100y is much harder with .22LR than I think people want to admit. 50y, not so bad. But 100y? VERY difficult from what I've seen.Could just

be my shortcomings as a shooter. I'm not talking about a group here or there < MOA but consistently doing it group after group just stacking them up. VERY hard to do IMHO.

My contrast, my .223s will go sub-MOA so easily and consistently it feels like cheating.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    It's not exactly top-shelf, but Wolf Match Target/Extra is pretty solid at a price that won't endanger the kids' college fund.

I haven't shot any of the newer stuff since they moved the contract away from SK and gave it to someone else (Eley?). The SK made stuff was basically SK rifle match in a black box. My CZ liked it very much.

Aguila pistol match (in my rifle) is still the most consistently accurate at a I-can't-believe-its-so-cheap price. Truly sub MOA at 50y. $35 a brick. Totally falls apart at 100y though-- it's 3" or so at 100y outdoors.

Fed UM22 is the best I've personally used at 100y in my 455. Not quite sub-MOA with me behind the wheel. It was slightly better than Tenex and Midas or Center-x.

My best bud's 455 has the Lilja on it and it will shoot the Center-X into legit sub-MOA at 100y. Indoors, admittedly.

Sub-MOA at 100y is much harder with .22LR than I think people want to admit. 50y, not so bad. But 100y? VERY difficult from what I've seen.Could just

be my shortcomings as a shooter. I'm not talking about a group here or there < MOA but consistently doing it group after group just stacking them up. VERY hard to do IMHO.

My contrast, my .223s will go sub-MOA so easily and consistently it feels like cheating.

Pretty much the experience as I’ve had. My Savage .223 shoots sub .5moa as long as I’m not shaking(depends on how much Dr. Pepper I’ve drank) Many of my 50yd groups are around 1moa with my 10/22, 2-4 MOA at 100 is pretty much the norm.

Matt

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Does anyone have feedback on Aguila standard velocity. 22 ammo?
    Does it compare with CCI SV?

The Aguila SV shoots great from several of my guns. I tested some ammo in my Pardini (bullseye gun) from a Ransom Rest at 50 yards and the SK standard was the worst that I tried, although several of my bullseye friends shoot it with great success. CCI SV was much better. Aguila Pistol match was the clear winner, but Aguila SV produced just a slightly larger group. One of my bullseye buddies does shoot quite a bit of Aguila Pistol Match.

Aguila SV shoots very small groups from several of my Ruger MkIIs and a couple of my long guns, too. I have gone thru about 20,000 rounds of Aguila SV, it's pretty good ammo. I use a lot of CCI SV too, though.

guinnb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    On this topic, going to shoot out to 200 yards steel this week. Which has more knock down power or energy at 200..CCI SV 40gr or the CCI 36gr Mini-mags? Gotta knock down the targets to count

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    On this topic, going to shoot out to 200 yards steel this week. Which has more knock down power or energy at 200..CCI SV 40gr or the CCI 36gr Mini-mags? Gotta knock down the targets to count 

I’d have to guess the SV. I used to have a ballistics app that listed CCI ammo but it was discontinued.
    Matt

Top Bottom