• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snakeboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Lowell
    Hello all. I have been a ghost for a long time here. And have finally a question to post.

I am wanting to buy one or two (would like two) 22lr revolvers, JUST for plinking.

First one will be a Ruger single six or bearcat. Is there a difference between the two?

The other will be a snubby type. I like the Smith and Wesson 317, but its more than I want to spend. (keep in mind its JUST for plinking) How is the Charter Amrs Pathfinder?

I dont mind (actually like to) tinker. So if I have to tinker/tweek with any of them, its ok.

Thanks

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The bearcat is smaller than the single six. I have a Ruger single six and would recomend it. The single six will probably fit your hand better has adjustible sights and an extra 22 mag cylnder and would be a better all around plinker I know mine is for me.

Never messed with the snubbie type 22's. If cost is a concern try looking at Taurus they are "somewhat" similar to S&W but cost a lot less.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would agree thqat for less expensive .22 snubbies, the Taurus 94 types are hard to beat. I had a 3" that was very reliable and pretty smoothe.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Single six and Taurus

The Single six is a great gun and shoots well. The bearcat is smaller and a little harder to hold on to. Taurus makes a Snubbie in .22 or 22 mag. The Charter Pathfinder also comes as a convertible package(.22/22mag)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The Single six is a great gun and shoots well. The bearcat is smaller and a little harder to hold on to. Taurus makes a Snubbie in .22 or 22 mag. The Charter Pathfinder also comes as a convertible package(.22/22mag)

Simon speaks the truth. The Single Six almost always makes the trip to the range with me and it is a joy to shoot. In fact, it the handgun that I learned to shoot on.

I wonder if there are any single sixes available used anywhere???

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    i have a taurus model 94 and it's a very good plinker, the trigger could use some work but for a nine shot, the weight is not bad and is evenly distributed. Can shoot the thing pretty good at 50 yards...even better at 10-25 yards...

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Charter Arms Pathfinder with a 2" barrel and I love it. I shoot the heck out of it every range trip. Couldnt even guess how many rounds I have through it. My choice was between the Taurus 94 and the Pathfinder. Taurus 94 has 9 shots and the Pathfinder 6 shots. Both are DA/SA and both have a pretty nasty DA trigger pull. I had a chance to shoot a Taurus 94 at the range when I was trying to decide and I really was not very impressed with it so that is why I ordered the Pathfinder. I have talked to a few people that own 94s and they seem to like them so it must just not have been for me.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I am wanting to buy one or two (would like two) 22lr revolvers, JUST for plinking.

First one will be a Ruger Single Six or bearcat. Is there a difference between the two?

ok.

Thanks

Where are you located?

I have several Single Sixes with various barrel lengths, frames, grips, and finishes and a few Bearcats too. If you want to meet sometime and burn some ammo, drop me a line.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    save up and buy a used pre-lock smith & wesson. they last forever, if anything goes wrong they have a lifetime warranty and they increase in value so if you ever need to sell you'll get your $ back. Be patient and surf the auction sites as well as gun shows... good luck - I love plinking with my smith model 63:ar15:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    save up and buy a used pre-lock smith & wesson. they last forever, if anything goes wrong they have a lifetime warranty and they increase in value so if you ever need to sell you'll get your $ back. Be patient and surf the auction sites as well as gun shows... good luck - I love plinking with my smith model 63:ar15:

I like the S&W 617, It's a little expensive, but you get what you pay for:yesway:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    single six all the way.....

wmbkb7.jpg

SerasVictoria

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If you are not wanting to spend much money for a revolver to just plink with, I've heard that a Heritage Arms is pretty accurate. They only cost around $230.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    While a single six is probably the "better" choice, you can't beat the sex appeal of a bearcat. They just look too cool. If you're set on buying two revolvers, I'd just get those two.

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    have u ever considered a ruger sp101 in .22 they are a discontinued model and might cost a shave more then others, but you could have a fun plinker and a rare bird all at the same time. there is a 4 inch model and a 2.25 inch snubbie, if you can find one

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I have had a large variety of .22 revolvers. Rugers, Colts, High Stantards, Iver Johnsons, S & W's. Nothing, I mean NOTHING shoots , points, handles and most of all, hits what you are aiming for like a Ruger Single Six. Plus, with the magnum cylinder you have a man stopper. I have owned Single Sixes since 1971. One of the few things in my life that I don't regret.

Top Bottom