• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    It sounds as if a 10/22 rabbit hole has opened up beneath the feet of the OP here. I feel partially responsible since I was one who mentioned it but since I have also messed around with 10/22s a fair bit, I am going to throw out a few points.

Lots of great knowledge and experience out there. This noob rabbit wants to hear it all!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^^ And boom! There's a TON of cheap, free mods and even easy diy minor gunsmithing mods for a 10/22. I've done them all and gotten some very good groups out of my daughter's rifle.

Do all of those 1st then send the barrel to Randy if you aren't happy. I've been meaning to email and see if he can work on a S&W 15-22 barrel too. But... it's also my daughter's gun that I'm supposed to leave alone. This quest for small groups is very frustrating. :): I was never able to shoot an Appleseed Rifleman score using that 15-22 no matter what ammo I tried.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Out of curiosity, what is the Revere's Riders AQT course of fire, target size/type, etc? While I'm asking, what does AQT stand for. Thanks.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    The AQT originally stood for "Army Qualification Test". This was later coapted by Project Appleseed using the same "D" silhouette targets the Army used, and renamed the "Appleseed Qualification Test". Revere's Riders is to some extent an offshoot of Project Appleseed.

The Appleseed and RR courses of fire are similar but different. The 25 yard/25 meter events both used scaled target sizes to simulate shooting at longer ranges of 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. Instead of the D shaped head and shoulders target silhouettes used by Appleseed, Revere's Riders uses targets shaped like the Liberty Bell, similar to D silhouettes in size but a little different in shape.

The Appleseed events I have attended have all been shot at 25 meters and the RR rifle events at 25 yards. The Appleseed AQT usually uses a four value scoring system for each hit, either 5 points, 4 points, 3 points, or zero points. The RR events have used a "hits count" scoring method, either one point or zero. A "hit" on the Liberty Bell silhouettes is roughly equivalent to either a 5 point or 4 point hit on the Appleseed silhouettes.

Course of fire for the two is similar with slight differences.

Stage one for both is shot standing, with or without a sling, with no requirement for a magazine change. Ten shots are shot at a single 100 yard simulated target with a 2 minute time limit.

Stage 2 of both requires a transition from standing to either sitting or kneeling and requires a magazine change after the first two shots. A total of ten shots is fired, five into each of two simulated 200 yard targets so not only is a mag change required after the first two shots, a shift in NPOA is required after the first five. The time limit for Appleseed for Stage 2 is 55 seconds. Revere's Riders is a bit more generous - 60 seconds.

Stage 3 of both again requires a transition, this time from standing to prone, and again with a magazine change after the first two rounds. In the RR qualification, five shots are taken at each of two simulated 300 yard targets, requiring a shift in NPOA after the first five shots. In the Appleseed AQT however, three silhouettes are shot with three shots on the first and second, and four shots on the fourth. So a second shift in NPOA is required. The time limit for Stage 3 in RR is 70 seconds and for Appleseed it is 65 seconds.

Stage 4 is very similar for both. Ten shots in prone position with no transition and no mag change, with 4 silhouettes for both AS and RR and a 5 minute time limit for both. Point count for Stage 4 is doubled for both. Alternatively, a total of 20 shots can be fired over a 10 minute time limit with a single point count per hit.

Overall, I believe the course of fire for RR is a bit easier than for AS. It is certainly easier to get a perfect score with the RR qualification. The difference between 25 yards and 25 meters is not great, but it is not insignificant. The Liberty Bell target silhouettes are somewhat more forgiving than the head and shoulders D target silhouettes and the "hits count" scoring system is more forgiving as well. The time limits for the transition stages are 5 seconds longer for RR which is actually quite significant. And there is one less shift in NPOA required in Stage 3 of the RR qualification.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    delete - previous post was correct

Yes. But in the Appleseed AQT two shifts in NPOA are required in Stage 3. One after the first three shots, and one after the next three shots. It is also easier to get confused on the Appleseed Stage 3 AQT. It is more intuitive to shoot 5 shots into each of two silhouettes than it is to shoot 3 at the first, 3 at the second, and 4 at the third. A lot of people get confused the first time or two shooting the Appleseed Stage 3 AQT and wind up shooting 5 shots at the first target. That is unfortunate, because when there are too many hits on a single target silhouette, the highest scoring hits are thrown out, and then you run out of cartridges on the last silhouette.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

The ar1022 stocks are very gimmicky. Cheaply made and mass produced plastic. If you go 1022 look at some stocks available. The Tacsol stock is super nice

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Anyone have experience with this guy? Is it going to be super heavy?

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

I'm considering one of the Rimfire Hunter models. Boyd's makes it enticing since I can adjust the LOP and it has a comb, both items I'd like to do with a factory stock.

I think you are looking more at the tactical style and I haven't heard much about those but I have heard good things about Boyd's in general.

I'm just not sure, me being a woodworker if I would be happy with their finish quality. Does anyone have experience with them here on INGO?

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I have not owned any Boyds stocks, but I too have heard pretty uniformly good things about them and have seen a lot of them in photos. I have never owned a tactical stock for a Ruger 10/22 but some that I have seen left me unimpressed. There was a Talo distributor exclusive 10/22 Tactical a few years back with a pistol grip and a six position folding butt stock by ATI and Choate also makes a similar folding butt stock for 10/22s. Unless you really need this feature, I think a one-piece stock will offer greater rigidity and potentially greater accuracy.

Boyds makes wood laminate stocks. Although I actually prefer the look of a solid, walnut stock, laminated stocks offer a lot of rigidity. If you want a stock with a more vertical pistol grip, the Boyds "Blaster" models offer a grip as vertical as that of an AR. And with the thumb hole, you can wrap your shooting thumb around it like an AR pistol grip. Note that the Blaster stock is scalloped out on the side of your shooting arm to allow your arm to remain more in-line when you grip the pistol grip. So it comes in right hand and left hand models. This stock also has an elevated comb which most shooters will need when using a rifle scope.

If you need or want a stock with adjustable length of pull and an adjustable comb riser, look at the Boyds "At-one Thumbhole" model. This affords a wrap around pistol grip that is a little less vertical with the adjustable LOP and cheek riser.

The nice thing about a wood stock is that you can customize it to some extent should you need to. So if the grip is a little too fat for your hand, you can slim it down and re-profile it a bit. Of course, this would require some refinishing afterwards, but I am sure Boyds could offer some advice and direction in that regard.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Looking more closely at their profiles, I would probably want a cross between the At-One and the Blaster to get all of the features: adj LoP stock, adj cheek riser, vertical grip with thumb hole, and lightweight. I'd need to put in a length of picitinny rail for QD sling mount. I'd be too chicken to put a hole for a fixed sling attachment then be wrong about the location ;)

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The nice thing about a wood stock is that you can customize it to some extent should you need to. So if the grip is a little too fat for your hand, you can slim it down and re-profile it a bit. Of course, this would require some refinishing afterwards, but I am sure Boyds could offer some advice and direction in that regard.

Might need to call upon gregkl for some local advice on fixing the finish :)

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Looking more closely at their profiles, I would probably want a cross between the At-One and the Blaster to get all of the features: adj LoP stock, adj cheek riser, vertical grip with thumb hole, and lightweight. I'd need to put in a length of picitinny rail for QD sling mount. I'd be too chicken to put a hole for a fixed sling attachment then be wrong about the location ;)

I installed quick disconnect cups in my thumbhole stock. Makes for a clean setup with a sling or without, as there is no swivel stud to contend with.

In general, I highly recommend a wood stock. As was mentioned by others, they are easy to modify. The laminated version are extremely durable and stable. I don't have Boyd's but do have two different Revolution brand stocks (Trailblazer and Tundra). Refinishing is super-simple as all you need to do is re-apply a clear poly coating of some sort (I use Casey's Tru-Oil). The color of the laminate is throughout, so you don't have to worry about color being lost/matched if you cut/mill anything.

oBf0PPNm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    nXcyPOAm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IlYL62um.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I installed quick disconnect cups in my thumbhole stock. Makes for a clean setup with a sling or without, as there is no swivel stud to contend with.

In general, I highly recommend a wood stock. As was mentioned by others, they are easy to modify. The laminated version are extremely durable and stable. I don't have Boyd's but do have two different Revolution brand stocks (Trailblazer and Tundra). Refinishing is super-simple as all you need to do is re-apply a clear poly coating of some sort (I use Casey's Tru-Oil). The color of the laminate is throughout, so you don't have to worry about color being lost/matched if you cut/mill anything.

oBf0PPNm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    nXcyPOAm.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IlYL62um.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Very helpful information, as usual, thanks all!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The ol lady has. 50th yr grey lam standard. I got a mannlicher 2nd from CWP and the problem was at the stirrup type front swivel hole. No prob, bought it to cut to sporter anyway. Got a rubber pad and grip cap that way. Refinish was w Truoil.

Came out fine. But IMHO laminates are not as tough as people think. The birch pretty soft. Layering helps and the adhesive strengthen, but its still pretty soft.

After messing w two conventional laminates i wont own another. The ol lady likes the grey. Good for her.

Id burn the damn thing. Its a carbine stock ( ugh ) and a laminate LOL

Top Bottom