• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice shooting doddg! You could try some "splatter" or "Shoot-n-see" targets. They're easier to tell where you're hitting at distance.

Hopefully the Bushnell spotting scope I'm getting tomorrow will fix that.
    It's only an 18-36 x 50 (I was told to get a bigger one), but a member here says it works great for 100 yds, 200: no.
    He's a guy I sold our 2005 Toyota Corolla to 2 yrs. ago.
    He wants me to try it out at MCFG before I buy it, but I trust him.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Oh my!
    50 yds is fine, like I expected after doing 25 yds. at Point Blank, and my other range only went up to 17 yds.
    100 yds is real. Picking up a spotting scope Sunday b/c w/o one I can't see my POI, and that's frustrating & no fun at all!
    The red stickers on a role help, I'm going to order some of those also.

That will save a lot of walking back and forth for sure.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Hopefully the Bushnell spotting scope I'm getting tomorrow will fix that.
    It's only an 18-36 x 50 (I was told to get a bigger one), but a member here says it works great for 100 yds, 200: no.
    He's a guy I sold our 2005 Toyota Corolla to 2 yrs. ago.
    He wants me to try it out at MCFG before I buy it, but I trust him.

Trust him all you want but DO meet him at MCFG and try it out before you buy. His eyes are not your eyes.

It may work well for his eyes as my Kowa fixed 27 x 80mm did for me 20 years ago. When I started shooting again several years ago my eyes could no longer reliably see .22 holes at 100 yards in varying lighting conditions with it. I guarantee the glass of the Kowa is much better than the Bushnell and the 50mm objective doesn't come close to the light gathering ability of an 80mm objective.

The 36X may make it work for you but since you have the offer to try before you buy, take advantage of it.

Also keep in mind that holes in the black are more difficult to see than on light colors so try it on a black bullseye as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Trust him all you want but DO meet him at MCFG and try it out before you buy. His eyes are not your eyes.

It may work well for his eyes as my Kowa fixed 27 x 80mm did for me 20 years ago. When I started shooting again several years ago my eyes could no longer reliably see .22 holes at 100 yards in varying lighting conditions with it. I guarantee the glass of the Kowa is much better than the Bushnell and the 50mm objective doesn't come close to the light gathering ability of an 80mm objective.
    The 36X may make it work for you but since you have the offer to try before you buy, take advantage of it.
    Also keep in mind that holes in the black are more difficult to see than on light colors so try it on a black bullseye as well.

He was insistent on me trying it out first & that's what I'll do.
    I have some targets with black in the middle with rings, I'll use those.
    Someone did point out that .22LR rounds on black were the real test.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Hey doddg, you might want to consider an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 x 56 scope. I got one off of e-bay for $265. Easy to see 22 holes in the black and one less piece of gear to lug around.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey doddg, you might want to consider an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34 x 56 scope. I got one off of e-bay for $265. Easy to see 22 holes in the black and one less piece of gear to lug around.

I'll write that down for future reference, thanks!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    TJK (name used w/permission) & I met today at MCFG for me to see if this Bushnell Sentry 18-36 x50mm spotting scope would work with me eyes.
    It was a good test.
    I used targets with a black background and the light was not bright due to impending rains.
    I could see! I would like to have more magnification, but it will do for now until I stumble onto something used that's better.
    Price was fair & it came with a fantastic box & a cover.
    It has a bench tripod & a full size bipod: a nice set up.

I9xmRvO.jpg

qlPg0sK.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    3rd time at the range at 100 yds with the 10/22 & RPR.
    The RPR is a little more accurate than the 10/22, comparing the 1st pic of each & the 2nd pic of each.
    Ordered 750 3" or 4" red target stickers so I'll be able to compare apples to apples.

1st pic: 10/22 = all in X except x3 in ring 9 & x1 in ring 7
    1st pic: RPR = all in X except x1 in ring 9
    2nd pic: 10/22 = all in X except x1 in 9 ring
    2nd pic: RPR = all in X

Today used Aguila Super Extra 40 gr. HV (1250 FPS) LRN

10/22 1st pic
    Bg5O77m.jpg

RPR 1st pic
    pEeL2eR.jpg

2nd 10/22 pic
    pEeL2eR.jpg

RPR

RPR #2
    0C3opiX.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nice shooting. Try using a target about the size of the X-ring. Aim small, miss small.

I've actually heard that expression! :thumbsup:
    Does that work for :oldwise:?
    I just got through ordering 3" or 4" red targets (750), so that will have to do for now.
    I will check on some smaller ones just b/c you suggest it! :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Good shooting! Your elevation is excellent! Do you use wind flags? Might help with your windage.

I like targets with a contrasting aim point, the smaller the better. Diamonds work real well also for me rather than circles. Makes a consistent hold a piece of cake.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I like these that Primary arms includes in their shipments. You don't get any finer of an aim point than the points of 4 triangles meeting. PM me your email Gary and I'll see if I can scan the sheet to a PDF file and send it to you so you can print off as many as you want.

jM2mdXl.jpg

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    There are a bunch of printable targets here. The one that made me think of it is the target with 1 inch squares (third post down).

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9833.msg83220#msg83220

I've also accrued a decent size folder on my computer of targets I've found online. There are quite a few with lines of 3/4" or 1" circles that I like when I want to shoot groups. Just using a Sharpie to make dots on a blank paper works well also if one rather spend money on ammo than fancy targets.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    First day at the range with the Henry Pump .22LR that I bought from a member here, Rala (name used with permission).

Rala (member's moniker), put the rings & scope on for me & he's expert at that with some great tools for such.
    He had already dialed it in for 25 yds, but I had to tweak it for my eyes, then moved up to 50 yds and 100 yds.
    It was nice having the Bushnell Spotting Scope (18-36x50) I got from TJK yesterday.

Here are 5 targets I shot at 100 yds with some progression.
    I really don't think it is a gun to shoot particularly for accuracy perhaps, & should maybe be used with iron sights.
    I'd like to put some kind of peep sights on it if I could figure out which kind to get.

While we met at MCFG, Rala was dialing in a Kimber single action rifle with a great scope on it (so smooth and hefty/10#.
    He put a single hole in a target with 5 shots at 100 yds.
    Nice to see that in person like the targets I see displayed here on INGO.

Targets 1 - 5 at 100 yds.
    I was just using some Aguila Super Extra 40 gr. HV LSN
    As you can see here I was having to dial in all over the place.
    hvj9SA3.jpg

Bq2e72D.jpg

bXKPZdw.jpg

QObp4Kc.jpg

60GMsyV.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Eh, not bad. Lever guns really aren't known for accuracy compared to bolts. With the 2 piece stock the fore stock makes them very, very picky on how and where they're gripped/bagged.

Rala gave me a heads-up about gripping the fore stock loosely & should be if how held too firmly it would keep the breech open (hopefully correct term), and not allow the round to fire.
    It didn't happen any today when I put 250 rounds through it playing with it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I like these that Primary arms includes in their shipments. You don't get any finer of an aim point than the points of 4 triangles meeting. PM me your email Gary and I'll see if I can scan the sheet to a PDF file and send it to you so you can print off as many as you want.

jM2mdXl.jpg

I ordered rolls of 250 of 4" red targets with 4 triangles just a couple of days ago & got them today: unbelieveable!
    They ended up costing only .04 cents each: it's going to beat drawing "+" & circles on my papers.
    I also ordered some 7/8 in squares & some small circles (I think they are 1" but it didn't say.
    Both of these were not expensive.
    The 3" targets cost more than the 4" & the 2" cost alot more than the 1" for some reason.

I just did a google search after reading your post the other day.
    Thanks! I'm going to love these:
    2As9vr4.jpg

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was able to test 3 more rds today at 50yd. The velocity results are in the Ammunition forum.

It was a nice 70 degrees this morning. Lovely weather for shooting.

Top Bottom