• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I dont have any old Vari x scopes around.
    Newer stuff is thicker in turret body and wont clear offset ring in medium height.

If only Ruger had that rear ring slot back a half inch.
    But they dont.

EGW makes a pic rail. Aint pretty. High w offset at rear would work, but would be too high.

This, added to the old 1022 fingergroove shooting like crap......has me rather annoyed at Ruger.

Non prefix Number 1s are collectible. This configuration is 26" w just the rib.....what would today be known as the B model.

Common model in the non prefix ones. But being
    280 rem gives it decent rarity points. ....per the classic sporting arms- collecting Number One table.

Unfortunately this gun has no box or papers and was hunted. Bit of rust pit on tang and grip cap. One spot along buttstock/ receiver edge.

Stocks grip cap can be swapped out.

The other....hurts the value. No rust.....itd be a 2K rifle. GB prices are high (asking) now anyway, plus its right before deer season

The rings, vert split.....are made of unobtanium. Fetch 300 plus if found.

Am torn on getting an old Leupold at stupid price to hunt this gun, or say to hell with it and just ditch it

Rather have a custom done in stainless.
    But man oh man this one is pretty

I will look through my junk tomorrow for old 2's and 3's, I do know that I have a Lou strait 12 power thats going purple but its on a Cooper and I thnk I have a old Redfield 3x12??? that has the internal rangefinder in it and I think its going purple if I can find it... I know I don't have any vert rings.

Thats some of the best wood I have ever seen on a Ruger lever, that was built for an employee, friend or someone paid for it..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I will look through my junk tomorrow for old 2's and 3's, I do know that I have a Lou strait 12 power thats going purple but its on a Cooper and I thnk I have a old Redfield 3x12??? that has the internal rangefinder in it and I think its going purple if I can find it... I know I don't have any vert rings.

Thats some of the best wood I have ever seen on a Ruger lever, that was built for an employee, friend or someone paid for it..

Yeah the Ruger #1 expert on another forum said its an upper end example....even for an oldie.

Saw on another site a guy put a stainless bbl on a blued action that had been armaloyed.
    Looked stainless. Also did the grey lam.

Think ill either have a stainless built or get a bad barrel rig and rebuild. But will proly go MPI atick if I cant find an old HS or ?

Synth is the way for me.

I should shoot a deer with this then sell it. Can drop my Redfield Rev 3-9x in the vertical rings and run it as a 3-5x LOL

Have my steyr 3006 prohunter im diggin quite a bit. No worries about that stock afield.
    If this one sells so be it. If not pop a doe late gun on a big field up north.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Newer scopes have thicker turret body so the offset ring touches......filed a bit on a new offset medium ring and it looks like I need just a tiny bit more.
    Sloped the main flat and moved the curve of the higher flat back. Just not enough.

File and 400 grit.

Needs more. Tried to blend w orig but could say screw it and run it in a mill, just cut a pocket big enough.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    mule deer are no harder to kill than whitetails ....just shots come at greater range.
    I have taken three mule deer in Eastern Montana on Public Block lands combined with private land previously hunted as Blocks.

Also taken five antelope on same lands.
    All with 270 Win. federal 130gr. sp hi-power.

No mountains, just gentle hills.
    Contact Region 7 Montana Fish, wildlife & parks office in Miles City, MT.

they also have wonderful waterfowl & pheasant hunting just around Miles City & South in Broadus.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    You will like your 280 it like the 270 is just necked down 30-06 just shoots .284 bullets. I have noslers 120gr & others up to 175gr that I load in my 7mm-08 & 7mm Rem. Mag.

my 7mm-08 prefers 160 sp speers @ around 2650 fps.which is not as flat shooting as 130gr. in my 270.

All my rifles are + 3.0" @100 to give me max PBR with highest rise @150y of 4.0".

I really enjoy that cause with no trees judging distance in the plains is very hard. experience it is best

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You will like your 280 it like the 270 is just necked down 30-06 just shoots .284 bullets. I have noslers 120gr & others up to 175gr that I load in my 7mm-08 & 7mm Rem. Mag.

my 7mm-08 prefers 160 sp speers @ around 2650 fps.which is not as flat shooting as 130gr. in my 270.

All my rifles are + 3.0" @100 to give me max PBR with highest rise @150y of 4.0".

I really enjoy that cause with no trees judging distance in the plains is very hard. experience it is best

Have you seen the bullet seconds that Midway has listed.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    280 might be a necked down 30-06 in a sense, but you can't form 280 from 30-06 without it ending up too short..

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Never heard of. Peterson is Lapua quality (or better) at less price and made in USA.

Just offering another option...

Quality Cartridge is located and manufacturers in Hollywood, Md.
    They have very high standards themselves... Been in there shop many times, my family farm is just up the road....

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    280 might be a necked down 30-06 in a sense, but you can't form 280 from 30-06 without it ending up too short..

shoulder is about 0.050" short
    then fireform with starting load of choice...some say reduced charge.
    some say otherwise.
    270 win can be used but may need anealed.
    If you can't get 280 brass it's decision time.

you should be able to find 280 rem or 7mm rem. express ammo then save cases.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Have you seen the bullet seconds that Midway has listed.

no. not sure I need anything if I understand your meaning

I have fantastic 2X life time supply of .284 bullets since I own two 7 mm rifles.
    whenever I buy a rifle I always try various bullets for best accuracy.
    Back when premium bullets were available & reasonable.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    no. not sure I need anything if I understand your meaning

I have fantastic 2X life time supply of .284 bullets since I own two 7 mm rifles.
    whenever I buy a rifle I always try various bullets for best accuracy.
    Back when premium bullets were available & reasonable.

Yes. I was asking because pricing is very reasonable from Larry on these seconds. Plus free ship with 50 bucks spent. Lots of 6 , 6.5 , 7 and 8mm bullets this time.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Yes. I was asking because pricing is very reasonable from Larry on these seconds. Plus free ship with 50 bucks spent. Lots of 6 , 6.5 , 7 and 8mm bullets this time.

many thanks
    dont shoot 6.5 or 8
    and I have at least 30 boxes of various premium bullet in 284 & 243
    sad part is I no longer have .243 Win. and I have rare new boxes of 100gr. speer grand slams & everything from 105gr to 80 gr in hornady sierra & speer.
    just not taken pictures to sell 'em

Top Bottom