• ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Because they aren't the same.

ugh..i'm bouncing all over the place...i dont know what to do anymore. Basically i want an affordable high-powered rifle...everyway i go someone point me in a diff. direction. I dont know much about rifles so i'm really not sure exactly what i'm looking for. As long as i can take cyotes out at 200 yards thats really all i care about. My wife would rather me buy a .22 mag so she could shoot it also. I sold my marlin 925m and i've been kickin myself in the ass ever since...

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    ugh..i'm bouncing all over the place...i dont know what to do anymore. Basically i want an affordable high-powered rifle...everyway i go someone point me in a diff. direction. I dont know much about rifles so i'm really not sure exactly what i'm looking for. As long as i can take cyotes out at 200 yards thats really all i care about. My wife would rather me buy a .22 mag so she could shoot it also. I sold my marlin 925m and i've been kickin myself in the ass ever since...

Well, my opinion is that if you want something consistant and that performs well you don't want a Mosin. Mosin's are cheap and fun to shoot but not what I'd choose to perform.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana

You could accomplish that with .223.

Honestly, if you're wanting to punch paper cheaply and accurately, just get a .308 and be done with it. It's a more efficient cartridge and you can get milsurp ammo that is match grade accurate. The -06 only has a true advantage over the .308 in bullets weighing more than 180 grains. Your wife can learn to shoot the .308 with relative ease. I would not say that's a feat easily accomplished with an ill fitting mosin nagant with a steel buttplate.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    ok so i guess the real question is, is a .22 magnum enough power to put down a cyote humanely out to 100 yards? If so i guess i will just buy the one i used to have and get the same setup on it as i did before. That one i know can shoot dimes at 100 yards, i just want to make sure it can get a clean kill out there.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    You could accomplish that with .223.

Honestly, if you're wanting to punch paper cheaply and accurately, just get a .308 and be done with it. It's a more efficient cartridge and you can get milsurp ammo that is match grade accurate. The -06 only has a true advantage over the .308 in bullets weighing more than 180 grains. Your wife can learn to shoot the .308 with relative ease. I would not say that's a feat easily accomplished with an ill fitting mosin nagant with a steel buttplate.

:yesway:

OP, are you wanting a bolt action rifle with a scope?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    ok so i guess the real question is, is a .22 magnum enough power to put down a cyote humanely out to 100 yards? If so i guess i will just buy the one i used to have and get the same setup on it as i did before. That one i know can shoot dimes at 100 yards, i just want to make sure it can get a clean kill out there.

I don't think so.

I'd want:
    22 250
    223/556
    30/30

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL

IMHO, 30.06 is kinda' overkill for coyotes, and much less likely to be shot by your wife. If you're determined to own a new gun, look at the Handi-Rifle that was mentioned in a previous post. .243 is a poplular caliber, several factory loadings for different game, ammo is easily found, flat shooting enough to go to 200 yards easily, most people think it the minimum for deer sized game, but will easily take most varmints, including coyotes. Recoil is not bad, if your wife shoulders it correctly, she should be able to shoot it with no trouble.

If you want a repeater, look in the used market for a good bolt gun. Savage has gotten a lot of press lately, pretty good rifles for a low price. You may have to add to the $300 to get a decent scope in the deal, but you should be able to come up with a good package for not a lot of money.

Just looked, several Savage w/accu-trigger .243 or .223 on gunbroker w/scope for less than $500, some less than $400 used. Look around!

Good luck.
    AB

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Headshot at 100 - 22 mag will suffice. Anything else will have you looking for a carcass.

.223 will do a nice clean job way out past 100.

There are lots of good choices out there, but if you're looking for economy, something in a standardized military caliber will save you a lot of coin in consumables.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Funny, the guy asks for info on a cheap center fire rifle and it ends up being a discussion about caliber which usually doesn't effect the cost of a center fire rifle.

And then in a couple of posts it becomes apparent that the OP is looking for too much rifle for the task.

OP, you can buy a 22 magnum, which will do all that you want it to do for less than $300 with scope at many outlets. I bought a Marlin 917 for about $260 and gave it to my daughter for her predator gun on her farm. It works just fine out to 200 yards, but she waits until they are closer.

Ya gotta love this internet thing. Do you think it might catch on?

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Funny, the guy asks for info on a cheap center fire rifle and it ends up being a discussion about caliber which usually doesn't effect the cost of a center fire rifle.

And then in a couple of posts it becomes apparent that the OP is looking for too much rifle for the task.

OP, you can buy a 22 magnum, which will do all that you want it to do for less than $300 with scope at many outlets. I bought a Marlin 917 for about $260 and gave it to my daughter for her predator gun on her farm. It works just fine out to 200 yards, but she waits until they are closer.

well you know, just looking for as much input as possible. At least i'm not on here pretending i know it all. I'm here to learn, thats all

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

In all the Coyote Hunting threads I've read on here very few if any said they use 22magnum. If you hit them in the head I'm sure it's great but I can't do that.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    well you know, just looking for as much input as possible. At least i'm not on here pretending i know it all. I'm here to learn, thats all

Right on brother. I have a scoped 22 magnum rifle I would loan you to try out on your 50 yard yotes.

Let me know if you want to try it..

There is this "PM" thing on this forum.......

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    In all the Coyote Hunting threads I've read on here very few if any said they use 22magnum. If you hit them in the head I'm sure it's great but I can't do that.

I'm sure it'd could be done if they all lined up together and stood still long enough :dunno:

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    if you take some time to search, a 30-06 can be had for your price range if you're dead set on it. I bought a used remington 700 in 30-06 that came with a decent optic setup that has worked for everything I've wanted it to do for in the neighborhood of $400. People on here will tell you 223 or 308, because they are in the majority on here. I hunt coyotes with my 30-06, but you must choose you're background closely as with any rifle. If you think the wife won't shoot a -06, she won't shoot a 308, difference in recoil is nominal at best. I'd just say, get what you want, and call it a day. IDK if prices have gone up or I got a killer deal, just saying, do what feels right. If not, you'll not like what you end up with.

Top Bottom