• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Ok, here's the deal. I have been reloading straight-walled handgun ammo for a few years, and now I want to try some .30 caliber rifle. I have both .308 Win and 30-06 rifles, and I am just getting my feet wet with these. Since I am just learning the trade, I am not interested in high-tech bullets, just some generic bullets - probably 150 grain? I am not a sniper or long range shooter. Eventually I may work up some loads to go deer hunting, but for now I just want to try it out with some "practice" rounds to get to know the reloading part and break in my rifle skills.

Any suggestions on some bullet brands / sources for these practice rounds? I already have brass and dies, powder and primers, but if you have any pet loads that are inexpensive and good for starters, feel free to share you recipe.

Thanks!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    If you just want to mess around with a 308 track down some German 7.62 plastic training round ammo. Cheap to fire.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Pulls from a reputable source could be found for cheap and would be good for plinking. American Reloading comes to mind. In case you're thinking about the factory seconds or blems that are offered on some reloading sites, proceed with caution. I have purchased factory seconds from many of the online retailers with good results but have also found some bullets larger than bore diameter by up to .005". I only discovered this when the round wouldn't chamber. I went back and micced the remaining rounds from that batch and discovered around 12 or 15 that were too large in diameter to chamber. The pulls have never given me the same problem.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok, here's the deal. I have been reloading straight-walled handgun ammo for a few years, and now I want to try some .30 caliber rifle. I have both .308 Win and 30-06 rifles, and I am just getting my feet wet with these. Since I am just learning the trade, I am not interested in high-tech bullets, just some generic bullets - probably 150 grain? I am not a sniper or long range shooter. Eventually I may work up some loads to go deer hunting, but for now I just want to try it out with some "practice" rounds to get to know the reloading part and break in my rifle skills.

Any suggestions on some bullet brands / sources for these practice rounds? I already have brass and dies, powder and primers, but if you have any pet loads that are inexpensive and good for starters, feel free to share you recipe.

Thanks!

$63 for 500 shipped

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not trying to hijack this thread...does a bulk bullet in 30 cal with a steel core shoot as well as a lead core? Is there more barrel wear than with a lead core? Thanks in advance.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Not trying to hijack this thread...does a bulk bullet in 30 cal with a steel core shoot as well as a lead core? Is there more barrel wear than with a lead core? Thanks in advance.
    you probably won't see a difference.

Barrel wear shouldn't be an issue.

Just dont get .310" or larger projectiles meant for aks/sks'/mosins and such.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Pulls from a reputable source could be found for cheap and would be good for plinking. American Reloading comes to mind. In case you're thinking about the factory seconds or blems that are offered on some reloading sites, proceed with caution. I have purchased factory seconds from many of the online retailers with good results but have also found some bullets larger than bore diameter by up to .005". I only discovered this when the round wouldn't chamber. I went back and micced the remaining rounds from that batch and discovered around 12 or 15 that were too large in diameter to chamber. The pulls have never given me the same problem.
    American Reloading tends to use the word "Mixed Lots" in most of the specs of the pulls they have for sale.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you just want to mess around with a 308 track down some German 7.62 plastic training round ammo. Cheap to fire.

Says it's still deadly. I wonder if a coyote would think that or just get a bruise.
    I'd like to get some just to test for velocity, and get a 1x4 to see if it would actually penetrate it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Hard to beat hornady eld bullets for the price to performance ratio
    I gotta say, I like you brother, but I chuckled on this one.. :).

Almost nothing in those red boxes is for "plinking" by the common person's definition.

And this is spoken by a guy who kinda looks down his nose at many Hornady products, when it comes to precision use, until they can prove their worth. (Hornady: One free miss in every box!)

But plonking at cans is for gun show pulls, 147 machine gun ammo, "copper washed" bullets, casting, and name brand "seconds", for when you might need to bet a Fiver on something.

Last edited:

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I really like Hornady item #3037. It's a .308 bullet, 150 grains, FMJ-BT. I use it in my old CMP surplus rifles with 47.4 grains of IMR 4064 for ~2700 fps. The load is much more accurate than I am at 100 yards.

Pulls, seconds, etc. can be had for less, so I guess it depends on how much you're looking to spend. Those Hornady bullets were ~20 cents a piece when bought online in bulk. They will be a bit more than that presently, but waiting for a sale could probably get you close to that price. Maybe 23 cents.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I gotta say, I like you brother, but I chuckled on this one.. :).

Almost nothing in those red boxes is for "plinking" by the common person's definition.

And this is spoken by a guy who kinda looks down his nose at many Hornady products, when it comes to precision use, until they can prove their worth. (Hornady: One free miss in every box!)

But plonking at cans is for gun show pulls, 147 machine gun ammo, "copper washed" bullets, casting, and name brand "seconds", for when you might need to bet a Fiver on something.

Its cheaper in the long run because you don't have to develop 5 different loads, and re zero for 5 different purposes, and re zero each time

Plinking, your paying an extra 20 cents per round, but but anything else, you take the ammo you already have loaded, and go to work.

In my mind, not re zeroing, and spending more time reloading, having ? different loads I have to keep inventory on, etc is saving me money.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Says it's still deadly. I wonder if a coyote would think that or just get a bruise.
    I'd like to get some just to test for velocity, and get a 1x4 to see if it would actually penetrate it.
    Its like 10 grains of plastic at 4000/4500+ fps. Looses energy quick. Good for close fun plinking. and FIREBALLS... the ammo makes good fireballs out of a 24 inch barrel.

If you have a G3/91 or clone there is a special bolt for this ammo that allows it to cycle.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Its like 10 grains of plastic at 4000/4500+ fps. Looses energy quick. Good for close fun plinking. and FIREBALLS... the ammo makes good fireballs out of a 24 inch barrel.

If you have a G3/91 or clone there is a special bolt for this ammo that allows it to cycle.
    I would use it in my bolt action rifle. I didn't think they had that much velocity.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom