• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Its cheaper in the long run because you don't have to develop 5 different loads, and re zero for 5 different purposes, and re zero each time

Plinking, your paying an extra 20 cents per round, but but anything else, you take the ammo you already have loaded, and go to work.

In my mind, not re zeroing, and spending more time reloading, having ? different loads I have to keep inventory on, etc is saving me money.
    For the most part I'm with you on that.
    Its like loading 223 with my sons and my rifles, I run three different loads.
    55, 62 and 77 grainers. all that is used for fun or practice gets sized with a small base die and seated so they will load in any magazine and shoot in any 223 - 5.56 firearm we have.
    Match ammo gets loaded for each rifle.
    I try to keep it simple. lol

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm going to hate myself for sharing this but..... Midwayusa has factory second (blemished) bullets for dirt cheap sales at something like $0.20 per bullet. You can go the FMJ route or get the match bullets. For me, I have an M1A scout that doesn't need the expense of factory match ammo, but it'll sure gobble up some factory seconds for some big accuracy gains without loosing too much $$$ over it. It's not a match gun anyway so I don't need the highest level of match accurate bullets. Those seconds will do just fine on game too.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I'm going to hate myself for sharing this but..... Midwayusa has factory second (blemished) bullets for dirt cheap sales at something like $0.20 per bullet. You can go the FMJ route or get the match bullets. For me, I have an M1A scout that doesn't need the expense of factory match ammo, but it'll sure gobble up some factory seconds for some big accuracy gains without loosing too much $$$ over it. It's not a match gun anyway so I don't need the highest level of match accurate bullets. Those seconds will do just fine on game too.
    FYI my factory seconds that were too large to chamber were 220 grainers from Midway.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I really appreciate all the advice. I do not get to gun shows often, but that is a place I will keep an eye out for the pulls from now on. And I had seen the blemished rounds listed before but was not too familiar with them. I think I will try them out to start as I can get them ordered now instead of waiting for a gun show in my neighborhood. Thanks!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    For the most part I'm with you on that.
    Its like loading 223 with my sons and my rifles, I run three different loads.
    55, 62 and 77 grainers. all that is used for fun or practice gets sized with a small base die and seated so they will load in any magazine and shoot in any 223 - 5.56 firearm we have.
    Match ammo gets loaded for each rifle.
    I try to keep it simple. lol
    Did you ever try those 75gr FMJ 224 bullets yet? From American Reloading?
    I'm wondering if you get the accuracy I'm getting with them? I was avg around 1.25 moa. I have shot a few under 1moa several times with them as well. I like them much better than 55, or 62gr. My 1-8 twist rifle barrels seem to 69-77gr the best.
    My group size is 10 shot unless I note otherwise.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Did you ever try those 75gr FMJ 224 bullets yet? From American Reloading?
    I'm wondering if you get the accuracy I'm getting with them? I was avg around 1.25 moa. I have shot a few under 1moa several times with them as well. I like them much better than 55, or 62gr. My 1-8 twist rifle barrels seem to 69-77gr the best.
    My group size is 10 shot unless I note otherwise.
    I have not yet. Its a good sign that you are getting decent groups with them. Our AR's are all 1-8 or 1-7 twist. I bought 2,000 of them I believe.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    +1 for blems. I've shot blems from Midway for several years in some of my silhouette guns. 270 Max with open sights, ditto for 7br standing, even in my 6.5x47 Lapua out to 500 meters. I'll save the high quality bullets for the scopes precision categories.

Blems are great for general recreational use. Slamming steel or shooting clays out to 200 yards. And more than capable of minute of whitetail. My .02

Top Bottom