$300 for a used .38 special.. What would you get?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevilMayCry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Hi, being that I am not 21 yet I have to buy handguns privately, so I can't walk into a gun store and test fire/fondle them. This is why I seek your advice!

I know cheap and reliable don't normally coagulate, but I'm trying to figure out the best for my budget.

Yes, a Glock or other polymer Semi is much more pragmatic for a carry gun, but alas, my heart is SET on a .38 spl

SO

I have 300$ MAX to buy a Used .38 spl revolver.. what should I get? What would you get?
    It will be something to carry (getting my LTCH soon) until I can afford something better to replace it. Basically I need something reliable that will always go BANG (except when I drop it!) Also I have smallish hands

I've heard mixed reviews about the EAA Windicator, stories about the wheel popping out when firing it.

I love the Taurus Ultra Lites aesthetically, but the trigger pull on them (or atleast the one I was using) literally ripped the skin off of my finger after only about 25 rounds.. was it just that particular one?

Heard mixed reviews about Rossi.. I suspect some gun snobbery going on though. The ones I have handled seemed worth the money (usually around 200-250$)

RG is junk.

Charter Arms??? experiences?

S&W and Colt are pretty much out of the price range here.. right?

The shorter the barrel the better.

I appreciate any input INGO's

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You should be able to find a Taurus 85 for $275 to $300. I had a couple and still have one and I have never had any problems with the trigger. Just keep looking and you'll find one.

Syxxthkidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You should be able to find a Taurus 85 for $275 to $300. I had a couple and still have one and I have never had any problems with the trigger. Just keep looking and you'll find one.
    yes, a Taurus is not a bad revolver, but i have recently seen a cpl of S&W airweights for sale through private sale for around that price too.

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    The Taurus is a good revolver,had a Model 85 Ultralite that I liked,and the trigger was really good on it....wouldn't hesitate on the Rossi either,especially if it is a newer one that's made by Taurus.....

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I recommend the S&W 642. If you look around, you should be able to find a used one in your price range. If you're patient and can scrape up a little more cash, new ones aren't too far off the $300 mark. I could be mistaken, but the last time I was in Plainfield Shooting Supplies, I think he had new ones around $360-$370.

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    With revolvers, I like a steel frame vs aluminum (now that is my snobbery as I can't prove that aluminum won't last) so if the frame is in good condition, the action rotates cleanly (not talking trigger feel as that can be worked on) and the bore is decent then I say buy it. Ppl can blow me crap about owning a Rossi (I have others from the "name brands") but they are inexpensive and work perfectly fine. Lastly look for "Flash Cutting" which is the point between the cylinder & the barrel where escaping burning gas can "flash cut" into the top of the frame.

Checklist for revolver.
    Action rotates without catching during dry fire
    Cylinder spins freely when out of the action
    Bore looks good (grooves, if its dirty just take $20 off cause you'll clean it)
    Frame is acceptable and not showing flash cutting

Everything else can be replaced or worked on for cheap. Springs, Trigger smoothing, and grips I could care less about as I'll buy replacements & smooth the trigger myself. Odds are you'll put on a nicer grip than the factory or maybe you're a germ-a-phobe and the nasty grime on the grip will cause you to replace it.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I love my 16 year old Rossi M88. It's seen upwards of 1500 rds through it over the years I've owned it. No failures, still locks up tight and is as accurate as a 2" bbl 38 can be. At 10 yards I can still get them in a 1" group for 5 shots.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Up your max just a bit and get a brand new Ruger LCR, which has the best out-of-the-box trigger of any small revolver. If you want a small carry revolver that you can really enjoy at the range, the LCR is the only way to go. IMHO

My wife's LCR was only $390, and that is when they were new.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Keep your eyes open, and you should be able to find a smith j frame in your price range. New 642s and 442s are going for only a little more than your budget, so a used one should be on the ball park.
    Taurus makes a decent revolver, and if you have never shot a Smith, you may not ever know the difference. Good luck in your search.

EODThree

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Brazil
    You should also be looking for a Ruger Security Six or a Speed Six revolver with a 4" tube. These revolvers are 357 Mags but IMO that's an advantage. Where revolvers are concerned, the barrel length (within reason) is the least of your problems where concealment is concerned.

There are normally a fair number of "nightstand" guns for sale leading up to Christmas and then again leading up to Apr 15th.

It sounds to me like you could use a little help with this purchase. Do you know how to determine the condition of a used (or for that matter new) revolver? No offense intended. :draw:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You should also be looking for a Ruger Security Six or a Speed Six revolver with a 4" tube. These revolvers are 357 Mags but IMO that's an advantage.

This is good advice. The Rugers, especially the models mentioned are know for being well built and reliable.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I recommend the S&W 642. If you look around, you should be able to find a used one in your price range. If you're patient and can scrape up a little more cash, new ones aren't too far off the $300 mark. I could be mistaken, but the last time I was in Plainfield Shooting Supplies, I think he had new ones around $360-$370.

I have had my eye out, and picked up a no-lock 642 from Bob over the weekend, for $369. Shop in Mooresville, has 442 for $359, also. Premier, in Brownsburg, has 642 for $379.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    If you have never fired a snub nose revolver, I tend to agree with WebSnyper and EODThree. Snubbies take more practice than anything out there to master. Start out with something used with a 4" barrell. You can always trade it or sell it later and get a snubbie.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    There are a lot of very serviceable revolvers that can be had for $300. You can pick up a older Colt Police Positive, or a S&W mod 10 for around $300, both guns are small enough to be controlable with small hands. I carried a Charter Arms snubbie for several years, I still have it and it is still very reliable (My brother bought it at K-Mart for $89, back in the "good old days"). I had a Colt PP that could have been bought for under $300, but I found it is a very good size for teaching my wife to shoot. The guns are out there, just keep looking, you can find a nice .38 revolver for under $300.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I had a Charter Arms Udercover or whatever and it was a fine weapon. Any Ruger though will utlast you, and they are very accurate and reliable. RUUUGGGERRR!!!!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do not own a Rossi, but have fired a few and they all shot really well with no issues. I would have no problem owning one.

Taurus 85 was my first revolver and I still have it and enjoy it. Never had an issue with it, or any other Taurus firearm I have fired for that matter, and it is a nice shooter.

I have fired a few Charter .38s and own a Charter Arms .22lr revolver. I have also never had a problem with any of the Charters I have fired, but the fit and finish is not as nice as other brands. They do work though.

Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Maybe a taurus model 66 or a 606 super affordable great prices used. and swap with a lot of the security six accesories. grips, holsters etc.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I LOVE my Charter Arms .38. Granted, mine was made in the 70's, and i don't know the build quality of current CA wheel guns. But if you can somehow find an older one, you won't be disappointed!
    picture.php

Top Bottom