• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I’m late to the game, but this thread has all my favorites (long range shooting, hunting, and deer calibers) so here goes.

Saintnick, sounds like you made a solid choice. The Compass won’t win any fit and finish competitions, but they seem to be capable rifles. Additionally, don’t get too hung up on insane accuracy if it’s strictly a 300 yard hunting gun. Even a 2MOA rifle is only ~6” at 300 yards, so it will get the job done. Hookeye is right- learn to judge by body shape. At 300 yards, it can be tough to make out the antlers or characteristics that indicate age. Shape and size will be helpful.

Also, practicepracticepractice! You can’t shoot a deer at 300 unless you have first shot at that distance enough times, from enough positions, in enough conditions, to guarantee a hit. Practice shooting in the wind. On a perfectly calm day with great conditions, I would feel very comfortable taking a deer at 300+ yards. (See below link.) If the weather is poor, or my position isn’t so great, no way. Find someone knowledgeable and get them to teach you. (Ahem, Phylodog...)

Churchmouse, some of us certainly do take deer at those distances, albeit not often. It’s a nice ability to have if the opportunity presents, however! :): Here’s my write up from last year of shooting a deer past 300.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...22-bringing-all-together-bagging-my-buck.html

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You canÂ’t shoot a deer at 300 unless you have first shot at that distance enough times, from enough positions, in enough conditions, to guarantee a hit. Practice shooting in the wind. On a perfectly calm day with great conditions, I would feel very comfortable taking a deer at 300+ yards. (See below link.) If the weather is poor, or my position isnÂ’t so great, no way.

Good advice.

The very best way to never place a poor shot, or completely miss a shot on a deer is to take only the shots you can hit.

That sounds like a simple statement at face value, but if you sit and think about the ones you missed and be really honest with yourself, chances are good that you'll find you could have taken a different action that would have been better.

NOT shooting is always a fine option and possessing the morality and self confidence to PASS on a marginal shot demonstrates a maturity level that is, in my observation, beyond that of a majority of one's fellow hunters.

In regard to marksmanship, hunting is not the time to be practicing, "trying things", or hoping. The time for that was any afternoon on the paper target range during the entire 11 months since you quit trying to kill a deer last year.

-Nate

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Nice choice. That rifle should be solid. Much better than the rifle Remington is putting out in that price range and TC seems to be wanting to open up market share with they bolt actions rifles they are making. Shoot that rifle until shooting it becomes second nature.

I think the drop at 300 for most 308 rounds is going to be 21-22 inches. About 9-10 inches at 200 so knows no how far away the target is will be important. Now you have to find how you want to shoot at distance scope wise. bDC style scope, dialing knobs to dole range or good old Kentucky Windage and elevation.

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    "Much better than the rifle Remington is putting out in that price range"...based on what?

The Remington 783 is made using much of Marlin's previous designs. It also has an adjustable trigger, is pillar bedded, free floated, has a thicker barrel profile, and has many reviews showing its accuracy.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    "Much better than the rifle Remington is putting out in that price range"...based on what?

The Remington 783 is made using much of Marlin's previous designs. It also has an adjustable trigger, is pillar bedded, free floated, has a thicker barrel profile, and has many reviews showing its accuracy.
    Saw a (rem 770?) eject the mag every time it was fired. The rifle was sent back deemed unfixable and replaced only for the replacement to do the same thing. I currently have very little trust in big green’s abaility for provide the firearms which we once though of as the best in the business. Marlin made good firearms and Remington made good firearms but I believe the bean counters may have cheapened the products a bit to much to hit those price points. I could well be wrong (often I am).

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Nice choice. That rifle should be solid. Much better than the rifle Remington is putting out in that price range and TC seems to be wanting to open up market share with they bolt actions rifles they are making. Shoot that rifle until shooting it becomes second nature.

I think the drop at 300 for most 308 rounds is going to be 21-22 inches. About 9-10 inches at 200 so knows no how far away the target is will be important. Now you have to find how you want to shoot at distance scope wise. bDC style scope, dialing knobs to dole range or good old Kentucky Windage and elevation.
    308 ballistics are much kinder than that. More like around a foot drop at 300 with a 100 yard zero.

Last edited:

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Saw a (rem 770?) eject the mag every time it was fired. The rifle was sent back deemed unfixable and replaced only for the replacement to do the same thing. I currently have very little trust in big green’s abaility for provide the firearms which we once though of as the best in the business. Marlin made good firearms and Remington made good firearms but I believe the bean counters may have cheapened the products a bit to much to hit those price points. I could well be wrong (often I am).

The new Remington budget gun is a Remington 783. It is not the 770. These are much different guns.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40495&d=1231015961

hmmm maybe my 308 rounds are milder. I will admit I may not have converted Meters to yard’s correctly in my calculations but my normal 308 rounds drop 17.7 at 300 yards and close to 23.5 at 300 Meters. Darn English to metric conversions
    I don't load 308 at present, but this chart shows about 13 inches of drop albeit with a boat tail bullet. Maybe this chart is basing it off a really long barrel or hot load?

308 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

Edit: maybe not. Federal also shows 13 inches at 300 yds.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/rifle/family/fusion/fusion-rifle/f308fs1

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Those are both nato spec full metal jacket loads so maybe that is the difference. Faster powder and better bullet for long range without the JsP bullet. Still with the load I have been using above (as with many a 308) set your zero at 200 yards or meters anyway instead of 100 for a better point and shoot of middle of deer (or two legged) chest.

Plus us being in my 50’s now I tend to stick with powder and bullets I have used for years even with advancements in tech happening everyday.

Wither er way the OP should be fine by next year. Get ready for the next 11 months and see what happens.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Those are both nato spec full metal jacket loads so maybe that is the difference. Faster powder and better bullet for long range without the JsP bullet. Still with the load I have been using above (as with many a 308) set your zero at 200 yards or meters anyway instead of 100 for a better point and shoot of middle of deer (or two legged) chest.

Plus us being in my 50’s now I tend to stick with powder and bullets I have used for years even with advancements in tech happening everyday.

Wither er way the OP should be fine by next year. Get ready for the next 11 months and see what happens.
    You are likely correct that is is a difference of BC and powder rate. I am getting tempted to find something in the 6mm realm to pick up as the kids are getting old enough to hunt.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Contender rifle in 6mm-223.
    Bullberry stock set.
    If you like your kids ;)

Not a 300 yard deer cartridge.......but who cares?
    Cool rig, ought to fill a freezer just fine up close.

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    A new wrinkle. The rifle was on backorder when I placed my order. I talked to customer service before placing the order and she said that they had a delivery of them scheduled for the day before but that it had not been verified as received yet. Checked with them yesterday and they said that shipment did not arrive and they don't have another scheduled at this time. I can switch to another caliber that is in stock without changing anything and still getting it for the sale price. They have the 6.5 creedmoor in stock and I am reading good things about it other than there are not as many factory ammo options available.

So my question is, do I just wait on the 308 and chance missing out on the rebate(expires 12/31), or switch to the 6.5? At $275 without the rebate it still feels like i'm not overpaying.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    A new wrinkle. The rifle was on backorder when I placed my order. I talked to customer service before placing the order and she said that they had a delivery of them scheduled for the day before but that it had not been verified as received yet. Checked with them yesterday and they said that shipment did not arrive and they don't have another scheduled at this time. I can switch to another caliber that is in stock without changing anything and still getting it for the sale price. They have the 6.5 creedmoor in stock and I am reading good things about it other than there are not as many factory ammo options available.

So my question is, do I just wait on the 308 and chance missing out on the rebate(expires 12/31), or switch to the 6.5? At $275 without the rebate it still feels like i'm not overpaying.

There is a nice 30-06 in the classifieds. The poster and I have been texting. He is a respected member on INGO. I am going to pass on the rifle myself since I have an unfired .308 already and I’m not sure how to hide another gun from Mrs. Vert. $390 is a good price.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../445971-ruger-american-30-06-zeiss-scope.html

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Contender rifle in 6mm-223.

Not a 300 yard deer cartridge.......but who cares?

I am glad you recognize that, but I just don't understand.

He specifically illustrated why he needs a 300 yard rig, and you have given a 100 yard answer.

6x45 is anemic even at 100.

-Nate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Upstream .300 Blackout was mentioned.
    IMHO that's not a 300 yarder.

Also on couple forums at same time juggling topics.
    Maybe posted on wrong thread.

Big whoop.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    There is a nice 30-06 in the classifieds. The poster and I have been texting. He is a respected member on INGO. I am going to pass on the rifle myself since I have an unfired .308 already and I’m not sure how to hide another gun from Mrs. Vert. $390 is a good price.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../445971-ruger-american-30-06-zeiss-scope.html

That does look like a good deal...of course I need more -06 ammo more than another -06. This would be a good 300 yard gun IMHO.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    IMHO, the Ruger American > Contender. I have been very pleased with my American. That one in the classifieds would be a solid rifle.

Top Bottom