• bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I'd go 6.5 grendel personally

I agree with this. 6.5 grendel gets my vote. I have a 308, 6.5creedmoor and 30-06 and they would be serious overkill for 300yds imho. If you want one in those calibers I couldnt fault you in any way as they are a blast to shoot, no pun intended.

EGParatrooper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    I think a nice 308 would work. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. It also has effective range beyond 300 yards if you want to keep building on your skills. I used an M21 (upgraded M14) early on as my military reach out and touch somebody rifle.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    It seems your objective is simple sport shooting at 300 yds. Is there any potential of hunting, or defensive use?

If not, you may not even have to add a caliber. Any of the calibers you already have are fully capable of getting out to 300 yds. In fact, I'm betting most (if not all) of the rifles you have will as well. If you're worried about budget, perhaps re-purposing one of the rifles you already have for longer range would work by getting a decent scope for it. If one is an AR, a good LPVO can get you to 300, and still allow you those close in shots as well.

At the very least, consider a new rifle in a caliber you already have, seeing as you probably don't need the kinetic energy on the target. By the way, the .223 /5.56 still has decent capability at 300 yds as a man stopper provided you aren't shooting it out of an SBR. There are plenty of nice affordable rifles out there in .223 like the Ruger American, and Savage Axis. I'm very please with my Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .223.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Short range is anything out to 300 yards. Any AR or bolt gun or any rifle with a 9 or faster twist will work with 69 or 75BTHP bullets will be accurate. Shoot prone with a rifleman's sling and learn how to be a rifleman.

Yeah that is what I would use if I had access to a 300 yard range. I was considering a 308 again but at the ranges I shoot (100- 150 yds) the accuracy is no better than the 223 and the price of match bullets is much higher too. I can still afford to reload 223 with match bullets.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    A .223 bolt gun will easily and economically get you to 300 yards and a lot farther. You don't need to shoot any of the heavier bullets, either. We shoot a lot of 40 -55 gr VMax on prairie dogs. 300 yards is not a problem.

As for the scope/rifle package in the above-mentioned link..............At that price you'll probably end up tossing the scope and spending more than the package price on a better one. I also wonder how many guys make a purchase like that without ever checking on the cost of ammo.

Of course, "accuracy" means different things to different people.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A .223 bolt gun will easily and economically get you to 300 yards and a lot farther. You don't need to shoot any of the heavier bullets, either. We shoot a lot of 40 -55 gr VMax on prairie dogs. 300 yards is not a problem.

As for the scope/rifle package in the above-mentioned link..............At that price you'll probably end up tossing the scope and spending more than the package price on a better one. I also wonder how many guys make a purchase like that without ever checking on the cost of ammo.

Of course, "accuracy" means different things to different people.

I'd defer to the smarter guys like this one ^^^.

My :twocents: is to buy a nice piece of higher magnification glass (in a decent QD mount) to swap between the guns you already have. Wring out those guns to see how accurate they and you can be.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Honestly, I'd go 22LR.

Now you're just taunting the OP. :laugh:

That's like .223 @ 1,000. It can be done but boy you need to know how to read the wind. (I have not done it but I am personal friends with the member that I've witnessed doing it --Edit: doing it with an AR, not a bolt gun!).

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    6.5, .243, and .224 valykrie are all good calibers. However, for 300 yds or under they are probably overkill just for target shooting. The .223 is more then capable out to that range, and much cheaper to shoot. What is your budget if you do want to end up buying something else?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now you're just taunting the OP. :laugh:

That's like .223 @ 1,000. It can be done but boy you need to know how to read the wind. (I have not done it but I am personal friends with the member that I've witnessed doing it --Edit: doing it with an AR, not a bolt gun!).

If you want to feel like a long range tactical expert, shooting 22lr at 300 will give you the experience, no doubt.

Gives me ideas for this guy...

whqw5QN.jpg

Though, I wonder what ammo would be consistent enough to not feel like I'm being robbed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That's the argument with long range .22LR.

At what point in time is it worth the quarter plus a round for the consistency you need?

How many quarters does it take to find out which one of the high end ammos are the best for your gun?

How many more quarters does it take to win the match to prove yourself?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    That's the argument with long range .22LR.

At what point in time is it worth the quarter plus a round for the consistency you need?

How many quarters does it take to find out which one of the high end ammos are the best for your gun?

How many more quarters does it take to win the match to prove yourself?

It's just a bunch of quarters. :dunno:

I could do the same with my .308, but then it would be $1.25 every time pulled the trigger and I'd need to drive to a longer range more often to make it worth the money. That's my argument for the rimfire, plus I mainly shoot CCI SV through it which is cheap and reasonably accurate for shooting steel at 200-300 (I haven't pushed it past that yet). The flight time between the shot and the round hitting the steel gives you enough time to contemplate life and think you missed... then there is a ding (hopefully).

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Another vote here for 22LR. 26.75 MOA of come up is what I used a couple weeks ago at 200 yards. I was shooting a t-bolt with Wolf Match Target subsonic ammo.

It got too dark to get any hits at 300. Come ups @ 300 should be ~48 MOA.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I’m about 24 hours late, but I’ll throw in my recommendation for 308. It’s a common caliber, very effective on steel at 300 so you know you hit it, and capable much farther out. It also teaches long range fundamentals well, you aren’t as reliant on laser beam rounds at extended distance like 6mm or even 6.5, learn to dial and call wind but still capable. It makes later transitions to one of the more boutique rounds very easy.

Next would be 6.5 creedmore if you want to jump right into it, but ammo isn’t as common and typically a little more $$.

that being said, 223/556 is still great at 300 so if you want a cheaper option, just shoot what you have.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I’m about 24 hours late, but I’ll throw in my recommendation for 308. It’s a common caliber, very effective on steel at 300 so you know you hit it, and capable much farther out. It also teaches long range fundamentals well, you aren’t as reliant on laser beam rounds at extended distance like 6mm or even 6.5, learn to dial and call wind but still capable. It makes later transitions to one of the more boutique rounds very easy.

Next would be 6.5 creedmore if you want to jump right into it, but ammo isn’t as common and typically a little more $$.

that being said, 223/556 is still great at 300 so if you want a cheaper option, just shoot what you have.

This would be my second recommendation, but buying a new rifle is more fun if one has the coin.

Top Bottom