• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    22plinkster just posted about his new 22lr 1,000 rifle he just picked up. He'll be testing ammo and the like and putting out a video in the future.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's the argument with long range .22LR.

At what point in time is it worth the quarter plus a round for the consistency you need?

How many quarters does it take to find out which one of the high end ammos are the best for your gun?

How many more quarters does it take to win the match to prove yourself?

I'd rather pay a quarter than a dollar+, if I'm just having fun at the range.

I was asking because I'm not well versed in 22lr ammo and have only ever shot bulk pack.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Lots of good suggestions. I personally love the .243. light recoil, very flat shooting, great for anything legal to hunt in Indiana if the need should arise.
    Ammo is easy to find at reasonable prices. The Hornady Hunter line seems to be a good choice for box accuracy for it. Cost is very reasonable for a centerfire.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    That's the argument with long range .22LR.

At what point in time is it worth the quarter plus a round for the consistency you need?

How many quarters does it take to find out which one of the high end ammos are the best for your gun?

How many more quarters does it take to win the match to prove yourself?

To win matches consistently you can't think in such terms especially in elr. A vudoo or an area 419 rimfire could get you into a decent used car before optics. 75 cents a round doesn't seem so bad. Then compare that to the 1.50+per round for my 308 and it feels like I'm wasting money only shooting to 300 yards.

But for 300 yards a nice CZ, ruger precision or target, and some Federal gold medal match will put 0n a steel silhouette center mass without too much effort.

Now keeping groups on a 6"plate at 300 may require more money per squeeze.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm not really sure, as a first experience beyond 300, I'd want to be doing so in a competition.
    From all that I've read and discussed with others about the CIHPRS crew, the competition is only as serious as you want it to be. Newbies get special attention to keep them safe and help them learn the long range shooting skills necessary to become true competitors. Attending one (or more) of their events is on my radar this year ... first things first ... got to get a group of Scouts to Philmont and back.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not really sure, as a first experience beyond 300, I'd want to be doing so in a competition.

I completely understand that sentiment, but understand that 90% of the folks shooting with CIHPRS started out the same way. I hadn't shot past 400 yards prior to shooting with them.

Load up some appropriate bullets with appropriate charge weights, and let's see what your setup (and you) can do. I've never seen it go worse that expected for a newbie.

Any questions about CIHPRS or shooting at distance, feel free to ask here or PM me.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    A friend of mine recently purchased a property and has begun setting up a 300 yard rifle range. This is the first time I will have ever had the chance to shoot distances of more than 100 yards.

I have many rifles in .223/5.56, 300 BLK & 7.62x39 and I can probably stretch them out to 300 yards. But I am now using this as an excuse to get more of a long range rifle.

So my first question is...what caliber to go with? 6.5 creedmoor? .308? .224 valkerie?

Once that is determined...what rifle? I prefer semi autos, but might go with a bolt action for this gun. Not wanting to spend a ton of money as this will not be a competition or hunting gun. Just a fun gun to go out and shoot long distance.

Alright, INGO. Any feedback is greatly appreciate as this is new territory for me.

Almost any rifle is a 300y rifle.

Since .223 is the most popular and least expensive centerfire round, the first question always to ask is: will a .223 work well for this?

The answer here is an overwhelming "YES!"

Go with a bolt action because it will economize on ammo a bit and be easier on the brass if/when you take up loading. Lots of GREAT .223 rifles out there fit this description. I bought a Savage 12FV that has been good and only $320. (the cabela's sale).

My savage (9 twist) wouldn't stabilize a 75 ELD/Amax, but a shorter bullet it probably would. NO problem with 73s or 69smks. Excellent results with 50s and 55s.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I completely understand that sentiment, but understand that 90% of the folks shooting with CIHPRS started out the same way. I hadn't shot past 400 yards prior to shooting with them.

Load up some appropriate bullets with appropriate charge weights, and let's see what your setup (and you) can do. I've never seen it go worse that expected for a newbie.

Any questions about CIHPRS or shooting at distance, feel free to ask here or PM me.

Same here. Until I shot with CIHPRS, I'd never shot beyond 100y. If you know your load and approximate speed and have a reasonable zero, you'll be able to get on target at 300. You'll want to get a ballistic app of some kind and learn how to use it, as it will be very handy. There are many good ones out there.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    For punching paper at 300 yds, stay with the .223 and a 1 in 8 twist or faster. If you don't reload yet, start. You can work up loads for everything from 50 to 75 gr. That will take you out to 600 yds. You can go with a bolt gun, semi, or even a single shot if you want. 500 yds and beyond is ALL about reading the wind and mirage, and the only way to learn how is to get out and do it. Several years ago, a good friend of mine took 2nd place at the Wisconsin state long range championship using .223 (service rifle and iron sights none the less). He was competing almost every weekend at the time. He helped get me into NRA High Power. It was a lot of fun. All of those groups are great to shoot with. They are all happy to help in any way they can. Heck, the only thing of my own that I took to my first 5 matches was ammo. I used borrowed gear until I could get my own.

Back to cartridge selection. At 300 yards, you're not usually going to see an appreciable difference between a 75gr 22 cal and a 140 gr 6.5mm with regards to wind drift or accuracy. Yes, there's a difference. If you happen to be shooting in 35mph cross winds at Camp Perry (which is pretty much every day for that range), then there's some justification to go with bigger, better cartridges. Having said that, 75gr .223s clean targets frequently at Camp Perry, so stick with .223 until you get board with it. Then figure out what ELSE you want to do with a rifle... That's how I became a fan of the Grendel. My service rifle can keep up with it out to 600 yds, but the Grendel can hunt deer... ;)

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    You should buy my sporterized Arisaka 38 in 6.5x50 JAP so I know it goes to a good home and I won't feel guilty about not shooting it. Apparently its a very flat shooting round!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You should buy my sporterized Arisaka 38 in 6.5x50 JAP so I know it goes to a good home and I won't feel guilty about not shooting it. Apparently its a very flat shooting round!

I have one that I bought from a fellow INGOer and it's a very nice little rifle! And yes, the 6.5x50 is a flat shooting round. :)

84MMUQl.jpg

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    The range I shoot at goes to 400 yds, and up until about a year ago I was in the same boat as you, never shooting past 100 or so. I bout a Ruger American Predator. 308 and have and a lot of fun shooting it at 300 and 400 yds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No love for the .25-06?
    Supposed to be a VERY flat shooting round, although maybe a little pricey on ammo.
    It’s as a very flat shooter. But bullet selection in .25 is poor compared to 6mm or 6.5mm, and 25-06 isn’t kind to barrels because you’re stuffing 30-06 charges through a small bore. And it’s overkill for 300y.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Check out the 300RUM it’s basically a three in one cartridge.

3 in 1 cartridge?

As in you can burn up 3 barrels in 1 day?

Buy 3 boxes of ammo with 1 paycheck?

Shoot 3 rounds in 1 session before you cry uncle? I would, anyway :)

Great round, but not ideal for 300 yards. A touch overkill for my tastes.

Top Bottom