• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Agreed. Learn to shoot with a sling and get your butt off the bench. My M1 doesn't feel like it recoils any more than an AR-15 when I use proper sling technique and build positions properly.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I fired only 120 rounds of 7.62x51 yesterday because I wasn't able to get away from my chores until nearly dusk. I am not sore. I didn't notice the recoil. I was wearing a t-shirt and a long sleeve canvas shirt. Not a lot of padding. This was a SAI Socom 16, which has a pretty decent brake. Still the perceived recoil is not much less than an M1A standard due to the extra weight (a little, not much) of a standard. Neither kick much, don't let anyone tell you any different. Same with an M1A Scout of course, or a Garand, FAL ect.
    I have put a lot of rounds downrange. I grew up with guns like an 03A3 Springfield, pump guns in 12 ga. with 3" waterfowl loads and lightweight pump shotguns with 1 oz. slugs ect.
    OP your wife is likely different than you, me and many others. That is what has to be taken into consideration.
    One thing I notice with women is a lot of rifles (any long gun really) are frontend heavy, even an AR15. That's where pencil barrel AR15's, M1A Scouts/Socom's ect come into play.
    The short barreled Socom may be what you're looking for. They are lighter overall, and lighter up front where it counts for a woman.
    The brakes on the Scout and Socom work. I can't measure it, but they do.
    The brakes mentioned below work even better. The Good Iron is excellant. Go to the Smith Enterprises site and watch the video of the full auto M14.

Before you discount the M1A, consider changing the brake.

I originally went with a scout to get a shorter barrel and a more effective brake. While the folks in lanes next to me may have been holding their hands over their bleeding ears, I thought it shot soft and easy. I then switched to a Smith Good Iron and noticed it got better still. More recoil than a .223 AR-15, but similar to a Ruger Mini-30.

At this point, I have a Troy Medieval, but I am thinking about switching back to the Smith for the improved control.

OP if you are anywhere near Knox County/Vincennes let me know and you (she) can try an M1A Standard, a Scout and a Socom ect. The ammo is on me.

As an aside :
    I would bet that she would pick the M1 Carbine, though that's a different story not that you should overlook that option if you are wanting a 100+ yard self defense rifle for the wife. The Ultimak, Aimpoint H1 and Speer Gold Dot ammunition have put the M1 Carbine in a new light.
    Speaking of light, there are a number of good mounts that will let you put a Surefire G2 light ect on an M1 Carbine which makes an excellant house/farm gun. Of all the guns my GF has to choose from, she packs the above M1 Carbine combo.

Last edited:

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    Thanks for all the response. I was leaning toward the M1a and may have to reconsider. I currently shoot a .308 bolt that kicks like a mule which I don't mind. However, my wife wants to start shooting and I'm afraid she'd be done after the first round. I'm going to be trading the bolt in for a semi.

I know it's not a rifle you listed but if you want an accurate .308 semi. Have you looked into an FNAR. IMO it has less recoil than an M1A, my girlfriend shoots it and has never complained about recoil. Just saying

Tranquillity308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    Martinsville
    I don't even notice the recoil on my PTR91F. Maybe there's too much adrenaline going or something. Last time I shot it I had a sleeveless shirt on too. It definitely has recoil though, since my shoulder had vertical red lines in the shape of a buttstock on it :)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Or just use the "trick" of using the riflemans sling to mitigate the recoil of the rifle in real field positions instead of shooting from the bench with free recoil blasting you.

None of us little 19 year olds needed muzzle brakes at Ft Knox basic training to handle the rifle and the powerful 308 cartridge.

None of the thousands (millions?) of recruits that learned to shoot the M1 Garand needed muzzle brakes either. The closest training you will find to learn this, is the Appleseed program or a Highpower Clinic.

For the OP: Perhaps you should hold off on a decision until you get some rifle training if you have not in the past. You will hopefully find yourself less affected by recoil and your enjoyment, field accuracy, and confidence in your rifle selection should all be improved. If you do still find recoil to be an issue, at least you will know bad form is not the cause.

For the guys that feel recoil should not matter: There are many reasons users can be sensitive to recoil and form is definitely a big one, but some of them have to do with injuries and physical ailments. I doubt many of you 19yr olds where in need of (or had had) shoulder reconstruction surgeries or had multiple stress fractures / fused spines at that point in your training just like you probably did not have squad members with scoliosis.

For me, I am lucky and have never worried too much about recoil when choosing a firearm. That said, I do appreciate the benefits a good break can provide for faster follow-up and target transition (especially when hoping to get a bead on a second or third yote.)

After all, just like you trained w/ a standard M1A flash hider, the Coast Guard went with the Smith brake for their operations, while SOCOM and the EBR use a Vortex flash guard for suppressor compatibility. Different solutions for different problems.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I'm another in the "M1A low recoil" crowd. Mine is a pleasure to shoot, with not much more perceived recoil than an AR.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have an HK91, but my Ishi Enfield jungle carbine wins; that thing leaves a bruise, but it's a bolt, so there's no recoil mechanism, and it's short and light, so you're taking it straight, no mixer.

Top Bottom