.308 rifle....M1A, AR-10 or bolt action?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I would vote M1A (or build an M14, which is what I chose to do). The whole threading and suppressing issue would take some research, but I am sure it can be done. Although, I did see the advertisement for the Daniel Defense rifle in 7.62.......... that caught my eye

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I have 2xM1As(Socom&Standard) and a LMT MWS(308 AR). The M1As can be a pain to scope and get a good cheek-weld while the LMT is really easy to achieve a proper cheek-weld. As far as accuracy goes, the LMT beats the M1As hands down. I also enjoy having the ability to quick change my upper into a different caliber in less then 5 minutes instead of building an entirely new upper. I replaced the LMT 2-stage with a SSA-E and couldn't be happier.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    All previous recommendations are valid. I also have an 1895 Mauser in 7.62 NATO and a PTR 91; both great rifles. There are probably very few weapons developed for the 7.62 NATO round that are not worth owning. Obviously, folks have their preferences though...

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    In terms of cost, practicality, ease of maintenance, customization, availability of aftermarket parts, DIY at home repairs and smithing and ease of adding or removing lasers, optics, lights, suppressors, or anything your little heart desires to the weapons platform in question and able to do so rapidly, IMHO the AR-10 wins hands down. That is unless your willing/able to spend the $$$ required to basically modify a M1A to resemble a AR more than the original M1A.

AS much as I utterly LUST after owning a M1-A, the pragmatist in me would demand I buy the AR-10, as presently I couldn't possibly afford both.

Again just my 2c worth.

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I went balls out on an Ar10 build proof carbon barrel, Mega billet keymod receiver set hyperfire trigger the works. Got it built and hated it I'm not a gas gun guy. Learned my lesson.

Reverend Dreed

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    new hope
    My 308 is a bolt gun. Re-chambered k98 Mauser. It shoots much straighter than I do and was relatively inexpensive. I do not have any thing suppressed so I can not offer any input on that issue.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have an M1-A and a .308 Ruger American Rifle. Both of them shoot better than I do.

The M1-A, the one rifle I own I would never sell. It reminds me of
    the M-14s I had in the US Army in the late 60s.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I have an M1-A and a .308 Ruger American Rifle. Both of them shoot better than I do.

The M1-A, the one rifle I own I would never sell. It reminds me of
    the M-14s I had in the US Army in the late 60s.

The M-14 was still the issue rifle in the Navy at least as late as 1991, when I allowed my enlistment to expire.
    I genuinely loved that rifle, a true thing of beauty and reliability.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The M-14 was still the issue rifle in the Navy at least as late as 1991, when I allowed my enlistment to expire.
    I genuinely loved that rifle, a true thing of beauty and reliability.

We had the M-14s on my sub (decommissioned 92).
    Some newer subs were issued M-16s.
    Some older subs upgraded to 16s. But small arms were pretty low priority on most.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I love my 308's. I have 3 right now. I have a little of each field. I use my Rock River Arms LAR-8 with a Nikon M-308 BDC scope to hunt in Kentucky. This is the one I want to suppress. I just picked up a Winchester Model 70 308 with a Burris scope and HArris bipod. I have not shot it yet. I also just picked up a new FNH-FNAR 308 with a Nikon Prostaff and Harris bipod. My buddy has a Polytech M1A. Nice shooter, just not impressed with it.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've got a couple Savage bolt guns although neither have threaded barrels. I also have one of the DPMS G2 AP4's. It doesn't shoot near as well as I think it should. I keep thinking about selling it and getting an M1a.
    I really like blasting through ammo with my ARs but the DPMS just beats the hell out of me after a mag or two. The Savages aren't near as bad plus I don't run through near as much ammo with the bolts. No experience yet with an M1a but looking forward to trying one.

Matt

Top Bottom