• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    GMU 20 is great moose territory from what I've heard. I've hunted only as far easy as Ruby. You should also be fairly dry that far inland in September.

I've had Savage bolts freeze closed on two occasions, both after being wet and below freezing. I blame the floating bolt face for acting as a point for moisture intrusion but never spent much time investigating the cause. I've also had non-accu triggers that had pull weight variation under similar conditions. Was also on a hunt beside an accu equipped rifle that repeatedly needed its action cycled to reset the trigger, a problem we later traced to the shooter side loading the safety lever. Elements affecting the shooter rather than the trigger, but fussy none the less.

Non-resider AK hunts can get spendy quickly and make the capital outlay for reliable gear seem like a deal, compared to coming home with unpunched tags.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    GMU 20 is great moose territory from what I've heard. I've hunted only as far easy as Ruby. You should also be fairly dry that far inland in September.

I've had Savage bolts freeze closed on two occasions, both after being wet and below freezing. I blame the floating bolt face for acting as a point for moisture intrusion but never spent much time investigating the cause. I've also had non-accu triggers that had pull weight variation under similar conditions. Was also on a hunt beside an accu equipped rifle that repeatedly needed its action cycled to reset the trigger, a problem we later traced to the shooter side loading the safety lever. Elements affecting the shooter rather than the trigger, but fussy none the less.

Non-resider AK hunts can get spendy quickly and make the capital outlay for reliable gear seem like a deal, compared to coming home with unpunched tags.
    thanks for the info:rockwoot:. I didn't think weather would affect the gun much in sept. although I could see issues creeping up in the cold months.
    The only thing that will make it affordable for me will be staying with my sister and my BIL as a guide (even though they aren't required for moose). But even so, its gonna take me about two years to save before going.

Top Bottom