• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Let's say someone wants to take their .308 and head in a suppressed direction, let me ask the experienced here the following questions:

1. What is the effective range of subsonic .308?
    2. What is the average cost for a quality .308 can?
    3. What is the level of quiet to be expected from a suppressed .308 bolt?
    4. Is it correct to assume that reloading .308 to subsonic is no more challenging than regular .308?
    5. Any .308 threaded bolt should be able to use the can, right? Is barrel length an issue?

Thanks all for your advice,
    Techres

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Let's say someone wants to take their .308 and head in a suppressed direction, let me ask the experienced here the following questions:

4. Is it correct to assume that reloading .308 to subsonic is no more challenging than regular .308?
    5. Any .308 threaded bolt should be able to use the can, right? Is barrel length an issue?

Techres

Sounds like someone is looking into some quiet destruction! :rockwoot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

Techres

1. You're going to run out of elevation in your optics long before the round will be considered "ineffective". Probably around 400 yards or so.
    2.800-1000
    3.if you're using sub sonic rounds it will be considerably quieter than super sonic, however you lose range and a little accuracy...you can suppress super sonic rounds however the crack of the sound barrier is going to be loud and bounce off everything along the bullets path...but you may not need hearing protection to shoot it with a quality can
    4. you can research tons of different formulas online
    5. just have to make sure you have the correct threads on both the can and barrel...but they are all made pretty much in a standard size....I'm not sure what you mean about barrel length...a standard length barrel will be fine..you just don't want to go too short as this will decrease the velocity of the round ....too long and the gas expansion will be counter acted by the added friction

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I just bought a YHM 7.62 can from Corey (SSNFA) I paid about $900 out the door with tax stamp, the can, tax, and 3 QD for my bolt/308AR/5.56 AR. It's not top of the line by any means but I plan on doing an AAR with it and subsonics.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Pretty good read from the Sniper's hide.

I'd be interested in your best loads.

I'll be shooting in a DPMS LR-308 so I know they won't cycle the action.

In the little bit of playing I've done, I've noticed the bullet drops about 3-4" at 100 yards from a full power load.

Normal?

Also, please tell me about this supposed secondary detonation due to not sufficiently filling the case.

Thanx!

POI shift is dependent on the load (Velocity). It is not uncommon for POI to be about 2" to 4" low with factory ammo. FGMM 168 is consistently 3" low at 100 yards out of my 700 5R, and BH 175gr is consistently 2" low. As long as the POI is repeatable and consistent you are fine.

Secondary detonation is caused by the use of low density pistol powders similar to Bullseye that when in the case collect toward the bullet end and are not evenly distributed creating an air pocket between the primer and powder. The occurrance is created by slowed or delayed ignition, that causes explosive gases to build due to the smoldering, and once ignited causes a high order explosion. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 30% CASE VOLUME.

Experimenting with several different powders by many people here have led to many threads on the subject, try the search function and you'll see. Some pistol and shotgun powders will work but are very case sensitive creating uneven burn rate and a lack of consistency with POI. To eliminate that sensitivity you can utilize a wadding material, but that gets to be a pain. I have seen people play with Titewad, Clays, Bullseye, Trailboss, and Red Dot. I have personally tried Red Dot, Clays, and Trailboss won out. Its very bulky, 15gr fills a 308 case (Can't double charge), its easy on the hopper, and very consistent.

The next consideration should be bullets, heavier is often better depending on your twist rate and barrel length. The biggest concern is making sure they stabilize out of the barrel. Don't want any pesky baffle strikes, I particularly like this one, and besides with friends like this who needs *******s.

I particularly like round nose bullets in the 170gr to 180gr range, they stabilize out of my 5R very nicely. ALWAYS TEST FIRE WITHOUT THE CAN ON THE GUN, and look for keyholing.

Lastly, the search function is your friend, as there is a thread posted regarding the Speed of Sound, ambient temperature is the main factor determining it. The colder the the lower the threshold. If you stick to 1000 fps to 1050 fps who will be good pretty much anywhere inside the US.

Notice the ricochet sound on the second shot.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ-KG1odvLs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    Ive got a YHM QD can for my .308 and run it on a couple ARs. Let me know when youll be at the Martinsville Conservation Club and you can check it out and try it out.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Profire has developed a subsonic round that has gotten good reviews from the folks that have tried it. I'm sitting on some waiting for CountryBoy19 to have some free time so we can test the batch Andrew sent me.
    I didn't know he sent you some, count me in.

I'll be home from training Aug 26. Then I have about 1 1/2 months until I leave. I'm sure we can work it in somewhere.

(I have that linear actuator too... I forgot to bring it for you last time I came)

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

Techres

1. Our loads are accurate to about 125 yards. We use Trail Boss as the propellant and 220 grain rounds. Make sure your rifle twist is adequate for longer bullets. Most are too slow.
    2. $6-700 for a Phantom, which is more than adequate for suppressed .308.
    3. Quieter than a suppressed .22 bolt gun.
    4. Exactly the same.
    5. Any 7.62 weapon can use the can. I have one on a 7.62x39 AR.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    A lot of folks seem to like the combo of a heavy bullet and a more filling case, as in handgun powder, specifically 44 and 45LC loads. It appears from my reading that the standard rifle powders aren't filling the case enough to get below the 1128fps and folks are having problems with double ignitions and uneven burning. Only problem is that these (handgun powder loads) are very limited to 300yrds and in.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCRR9b-0_C4[/ame]

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    You gotta feel confident to shoot 100 yards across the bow of an SUV at 40 yards...

68 db is what they said on the video. That is less than half normal .308 (158db or so). Very cool. Have any of you tried getting audio levels from down range? I.E. What is the heard db level from 80 yards down range?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    You gotta feel confident to shoot 100 yards across the bow of an SUV at 40 yards...

68 db is what they said on the video. That is less than half normal .308 (158db or so). Very cool. Have any of you tried getting audio levels from down range? I.E. What is the heard db level from 80 yards down range?

No way that's 68 dB, and didn't sound subsonic to me. A vacuum cleaner is 70 dB. There should be absolutely no sonic crack with subsonic ammo.

I don't see a chronograph in the picture, so how is velocity being measured? I don't know what kind of meter that is, but it looks like one for measuring a theatre system, not peak sound. Most cheaper meters can't capture peak sound fast enough, recording ambient sound levels instead.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I didn't know he sent you some, count me in.

I'll be home from training Aug 26. Then I have about 1 1/2 months until I leave. I'm sure we can work it in somewhere.

(I have that linear actuator too... I forgot to bring it for you last time I came)

Oh excellent!

I got the Profire Subsonic .308 in last week. I've got the weekend of the 27-28 free, otherwise it's weeknights again as my weekends have been booked mostly.

I can rig a light on the downrange target so we can shoot well into the evening.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If your in the market for a .308 rifle also, the Remington "AAC" has a 1/10 twist barrel to stabilize the heavier rounds and is threaded in 5/8" x 24. A good .308 can will make the super sonic sound like a deep puff of air with your crack down range.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

I was going to say something about the 1:55 mark too, but I didn't want to detour your thread.

I don't know anything about their measuring tools or methods this is all fairly new to me.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

While I wouldn't needlessly put people or property at risk, I can say with a very high degree of confidence that with any of my precision rifles and loads I've doped, I can put the round almost exactly where I want it, and at 40 yards that will be within half an inch or so.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    While I wouldn't needlessly put people or property at risk, I can say with a very high degree of confidence that with any of my precision rifles and loads I've doped, I can put the round almost exactly where I want it, and at 40 yards that will be within half an inch or so.

Don't disagree. Just found it.... different.

Top Bottom