• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I currently have a Keltec 32 pistol which I pocket carry. It has been a work horse with no issues at all. Having said that, I am feeling the need to upgrade to a .380. Does this make sense? Will I gain that much firepower from upgrading to the .380? I am looking at either a Ruger LCP, Taurus 738 or Kahr P380. If I did upgrade I want something that is proven to be reliable. From the research I have done it appears the LCP wins the reliability award over the Taurus or Kahr .380.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    LCP is a good choice if you want to move to .380 acp. I haven't had any issues with my LCP.

As far as reliability. I haven't had any issues with my CW9. Granted it's not the same caliber but a similar pistol. I don't have any experience with the Taurus so I can't help you there.

Your best bet is to just rent them and see which you like the best.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I currently have a Keltec 32 pistol which I pocket carry. It has been a work horse with no issues at all. Having said that, I am feeling the need to upgrade to a .380. Does this make sense? Will I gain that much firepower from upgrading to the .380? I am looking at either a Ruger LCP, Taurus 738 or Kahr P380. If I did upgrade I want something that is proven to be reliable. From the research I have done it appears the LCP wins the reliability award over the Taurus or Kahr .380.

Since you already have a small pocket pistol, why not get a full size gun, like a 1911:dunno:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I should have mentioned that I have a Kahr PM9 which is great IWB but sometimes you just want to drop a small pistol in your pocket.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    9MM

Upgrade to a 9MM. There are many that are almost as small as a
    380, with better firepower and MUCH cheaper ammo.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my p32 for several years and I have no plan to change it up. It has been 100% flawless and is not bad to shoot at all. Sure the .32 is not much, but it is better than nothing. I can get .32 ammo cheaper than .380 and it was still easy to find during the time that .380 was hard to find. It is more pleasant to shoot so I am able to train with it often. Many people I talk to that have pocket .380s do not like shooting them at all. Go with what you feel best with. In the past I would have recommended staying away from .380 because the ammo was very hard to find for awhile, but now I see it everywhere again so I would not let that stop you. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought a P32 waaay back in 2003 and it was my close companion for quite a few years. I upgraded to the P3AT when it came out (kept the P32 also). P3AT kicks a tad more, but not much. I bought a PF-9 last summer also. I like all my Kel-Tecs. I won't sell any of them. Personally, I think they are better than all the Ruger and Kimber copycats that have come along recently. FWIW, the PF-9 gets carried the most nowadays.....

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Have LCP. Had TCP. TCP went back to Taurus twice, and was still unreliable. Traded it. I've noticed that prices on LCP are all over the place lately. Paid $265 + tax a few months ago; have seen them for $350+, but they seem to be coming back down. If you want one, shop carefully.

Patient Zer0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    Peru/Kokomo
    I have a P32 and really like it. I don't see a need for a .380 for a "Get offa me" gun when you have a .32 unless you really just want one. Hell, get one anyway, you can never have too many.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Has your Keltec been reliable? If so, stick with what you know. The Keltec P3AT has proven reliablity but the LCP looks a little nicer and is just a hair heavier (I have nothing against the LCP). I cannot agree with getting a 9mm if you want just a pocket gun as the 9's are still larger and heavier. Neither the LCP or P3AT are fun to shoot but are great pocket guns. That's if you think you need to move to a .380.

The .32 has been used for over a hundred years and before smokeless powder for self defense. It can kill just as well as shot placement is the key for both the .32 and the .380. If your .32 is reliable, I kind of agree with keeping it for the pocket and getting something else altogether for some other reason.

alc1985

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Burns Harbor by the Dunes
    I never thought much of the 32 and 380 and always prefered a J frame Smith. With the warm weather I found the S&W too large to pocket carry.
    I did some soul searching and decided it was better to have a light, flat 380 in my pocket than leaving the S&W at home because it was too big to carry.
    If you can find a 380 that feels good and is reliable I would go for it.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you have an PM9, I'd say you are all set. Bigger is always better, and I doubt you can get smaller than the PK without pay a bunch more. And, with all of the new, small 9s showing up, I think the .380 is a non starter. Not to mention the cost of .380 ammo is almost twice that of 9mm or .32.

Hang onto that .32 for the times you cannot pocket the PM.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    LP1, How do you like your LCP? Was the recoil much different than the TCP?

Actually liked the way the TCP felt in my hand a little better, but everybody's hands are different. Recoil is similar. The profile of the LCP seems to make it a little easier to conceal than the TCP. Considering the purpose (deep concealment, not a "fun" gun to shoot), I'm not sure if I "like" it. I trust it for it's intended purpose, and it was inexpensive.

Not my first choice in all situations, but hard to beat for a small gun.

Hope that answers the question, but not sure that it does.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I also own a P32, and the only pistol I'd consider "upgrading" to is the Kahr. The P3AT kicks more, has a round less, and doesn't have a slide lock; same goes for the LCP (manual slide lock doesn't count). The Kahr is actually the smallest (I believe), and their triggers and build quality are much better than KT. Still, shelling out over $500 for a pocket rocket is a little intimidating, so I'll stick with the 32 for now.

Top Bottom