• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    OK all I need your advice, input,:twocents: or what ever you want to call it. I'm kicking the idea of getting rid of the Win 94AE in 30-30 and get a Marilin in either .357 or .45 Colt. Reasons are that for one, Indiana won't let me use the 30-30 for deer. Two, I want to mount some optics and doing that on a top ejecting Winchester is as most of you know, not a great option.

So here we are. .357 or .45 Colt and why. :dunno:

Thanks

By the way before I get blasted, if this has be discussed, please kindly leed me instead of unloading on me. My search powers are not always as good as others.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I do not know how strong the action is in the Marlin, but the 45 can be loaded from mild to wild. It can exceed 44 magnum levels when loaded hot, but that can only be managed in certain firearms.

Are you going to reload for this rifle or buying off the shelf?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If your reason for getting out of a 30-30 is deer hunting, I would keep it and get a quality muzzle loader. You can hunt long and I believe the ballistics are better on a .45cal sabot then they are on the .45LC out of a long rifled barrel. But if you are set on the lever go with a .44 mag its the best all round. .357 is more available and cheaper, but the .44mag is superior. We have dies for all three either way you go, Nick has the .45LC .38sp, and I have the .44mag.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Heck why decide get both

I have 357,44,45colt,30-30,308,35 rem,358,356,45-70 and still looking for more
    If my wife only saw it that way.:dunno:

If you're going to buy shelf ammo, I'd look at .44 Mag.
    Probably would be shelf ammo. I do have a buddy that has offered to let me use his re-loader as long as I have all the rest of the components.

If your reason for getting out of a 30-30 is deer hunting, I would keep it and get a quality muzzle loader. You can hunt long and I believe the ballistics are better on a .45cal sabot then they are on the .45LC out of a long rifled barrel. But if you are set on the lever go with a .44 mag its the best all round. .357 is more available and cheaper, but the .44mag is superior. We have dies for all three either way you go, Nick has the .45LC .38sp, and I have the .44mag.

Got the muzzle loader. My thinking is that I like my firearms to be multi use. Granted that muzzzy may be the better deer hunting option, but it would sure be great to also have my lever action available if I fancy it.

I think I will switch to a Marlin regardless of what I do, due to the optics mounting issues.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Do you have any handguns chambered for either cartridge. If yes, then the answer is simple, go with the cartridge you already use. If not, then I say go with the .44 Magnum. Dirty Harry can't be wrong!

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I researched this extensively last month and chose the 44 mag in Marlin 1894....Like was said before the only reason to go .357 or 45 lc is if you ahve a hand gun that shoots the same ammo or if you are doing the cowby shoots.....

My 1894 is great....

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I loved, loved, loved my 1894C .357. While the .45 Colt and .44 Magnum are more powerful and will give you longer range, the .357 is perfectly suitable for deer hunting so long as you limit your range to within the cartridge's capability.

I chose my 1894C after facing the same decision you are, and handling the guns. The little carbine is shorter, lighter, and all around better handling. It's a better brush and woods gun, IMHO.

zcam630

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    Thanks for the great responses. I had not thought about the .44 until pretty much all of you recommended it.

For those brought up the question. I don't have any other guns in .357 or .45 so that is irrelevant, but thanks for the response.:ingo:

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    either

My son has a lever rifle in 45LC and shot a nice buck with it last year. I have lever rifle in .357 magnum and shot a nice deer with it this year. Both dropped the deer right away with almost no damage to meat.

I can endorse both calibers for deer hunting in Indiana.

Best regards,

Terry

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    IN the marlin the 45 LC 1894 has a 1-20 twist and will shoot the very heavy bullets better.

the 44 mag has a 1-38 twist and has trouble stabilizing anything over 240 grain bullets. I like 240's so I got the 44 mag.

No bear in Indiana to worry about penetration with heavy bullets.

Top Bottom