.357 SIG...any one carry or shoot much anymore?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    .357 sig has all the right credentials on paper. I would totally carry it if I could afford to shoot it.

And if I could source a .357 barrel for a .40 cal CZ P-07.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I see 357 Sig as being in that space with .40 -why not just go .45 or 10mm ?
    357 Mag is an different story though.

Why not? Package size. the larger frames just don't carry as well. Compare the G20/21 Glocks to the 17/22/31 size. Even in SF form, the bigger glocks are HUGE in comparison.

I transitioned to 9mm so I could afford to practice and have a better-carrying gun.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Why not? Package size. the larger frames just don't carry as well. Compare the G20/21 Glocks to the 17/22/31 size. Even in SF form, the bigger glocks are HUGE in comparison.

I transitioned to 9mm so I could afford to practice and have a better-carrying gun.

The glock 32 is a good shooting 357sig as well. Ammo is not that expensive if you're willing to shop online. You won't find it cheap in stores generally, but by the case it's not much more than 9mm.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    One of my brothers-in-law is a recently retired Federal Air Marshall. They were issued, carried, and trained with Sig pistols (either the 229 or 239) chambered in .357 Sig. I think it's the 125gr Speer Gold Dots. They would shoot thousands of rounds of it per year for training. Thousands. And they were allotted a certain # of rounds for on-your-own training as well.

Rightly or wrongly, some of this on-your-own ammo made its way from ^ that guy to his brother - a current chief of police in a small Ohio town. And while that proverbial gravy train was chugging, this other brother-in-law of mine put a conversion barrel into his G22 and was carrying .357 Sig in his duty rig.

BUT - the former brother retired and the gravy train stopped. So the other brother put his G22 barrel back into his G22 and is now rocking with a G17. 9mm, of course, due to ammo costs.

I don't have much trigger time with the round - but I think it's pretty neat. And I think that a small PCC shooting it would be pretty neat.
    Make friends with a pilot who is an FFDO, they get on your own .40 for their HK’s every couple of months. I’ll probably get something in .357 Sig when all the Fed trade ins hit the streets. Just to have it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The glock 32 is a good shooting 357sig as well. Ammo is not that expensive if you're willing to shop online. You won't find it cheap in stores generally, but by the case it's not much more than 9mm.

We just had a Sportsman's Warehouse open in Fort Wayne and they have .357SIG ammo for the same or cheaper than 9mm and/or .40 S&W.
    Double Tap Ammo makes a nice PD round in 147 grain...
    Buffalo Bore and CorBon also make some pretty hot stuff!
    I do like the velocity that some of the lighter 115 grain JHP's allow for...
    And I've found that it's an accurate caliber as well!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Make friends with a pilot who is an FFDO, they get on your own .40 for their HK’s every couple of months. I’ll probably get something in .357 Sig when all the Fed trade ins hit the streets. Just to have it.

Oooh I hadn't thought about trade ins...
    If I can find a 357 barrel for my p320, I would give it a go. I would rather source it locally though.

KWIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2019
    IN
    There was a nice SP2022 setup in .40 that came with a 357 barrel in the classifieds, shows sold now though.
    The SP2022's in .40 are pretty easy and economical to find in .40, then it's just the cost of the barrel. I like the DA / SA platform so that would be an easy way to get into two calibers that I am currently not.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So, was it "money well spent" or just "meh, could live with out them?"
    I have the 357 Sig barrels in both and never went back to the .40 in them. I do carry the P239 sometimes. I feel marginally happier carrying it over a 9mm...

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have the 357 Sig barrels in both and never went back to the .40 in them. I do carry the P239 sometimes. I feel marginally happier carrying it over a 9mm...

Interesting. So, why do you prefer the 357Sig over the 40SW? EG: More accurate, easier follow-up shots, etc?

I am asking because I have never shot 357Sig before but I have a P229 dark in 40SW. Funny thing is, I shoot the 40SW very consistently but my P220 feels more natural to me.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    For me, buying a 357 SIG barrel was both money well-spent, and something I could have lived without. I don't shoot 357 SIG all that often, because I find buying the ammunition, even on-line, somewhat painful. I would feel even more pain if I lived in one of those States or cities where one cannot buy ammunition on-line.

But when I do shoot 357 SIG I do find it is quite a bit of fun, and for me having fun is about 90% of the reason I shoot. So I feel that barrel has paid me back what I paid for it quite a few times over.

As I said in a post earlier in this thread, I have yet to see or experience anything that would make me conclude that 357 SIG offered significant advantages over .40 S&W for civilian self-defense. I do sense that 357 SIG is dying a slow death. Although commercial 357 SIG ammunition will probably be available for quite some time, I would not be surprised to see the selection become even more limited and the cost go up. That makes me a little reluctant to shoot up the 357 SIG ammo I currently have on hand. I might need it when the next ammunition shortage hits.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Interesting. So, why do you prefer the 357Sig over the 40SW? EG: More accurate, easier follow-up shots, etc?

I am asking because I have never shot 357Sig before but I have a P229 dark in 40SW. Funny thing is, I shoot the 40SW very consistently but my P220 feels more natural to me.

I like the 125 grain .357 Sig round because I do shoot it more accurately for some reason.
    And muzzle velocity of 1475 fps 604 ft lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

The .357 Sig round was designed to duplicate the ballistics of the 125 grain .357 Magnum round.
    Law enforcement liked the stopping power and penetration ability of the 125 grain .357 Magnum revolvers they carried before being switched to 9mm semi-autos.

I have a P229 in .357 Sig (among others) and REALLY like it.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Has anyone shot 357 Sig suppressed? Seems like a similar diameter but heavier subsonic bullet would work better than 9mm 147 grain subsonic.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For me, buying a 357 SIG barrel was both money well-spent, and something I could have lived without. I don't shoot 357 SIG all that often, because I find buying the ammunition, even on-line, somewhat painful. I would feel even more pain if I lived in one of those States or cities where one cannot buy ammunition on-line.

But when I do shoot 357 SIG I do find it is quite a bit of fun, and for me having fun is about 90% of the reason I shoot. So I feel that barrel has paid me back what I paid for it quite a few times over.

As I said in a post earlier in this thread, I have yet to see or experience anything that would make me conclude that 357 SIG offered significant advantages over .40 S&W for civilian self-defense. I do sense that 357 SIG is dying a slow death. Although commercial 357 SIG ammunition will probably be available for quite some time, I would not be surprised to see the selection become even more limited and the cost go up. That makes me a little reluctant to shoot up the 357 SIG ammo I currently have on hand. I might need it when the next ammunition shortage hits.

I assume you grasp the self-fulfilling prophecy aspect of this? You don’t shoot.357, you don’t buy it. You don’t buy it, they stop making it.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Good information on the .357 Sig !

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1508.05843.pdf

I can’t says it the be all end all but seems to support that the theory .357 Sig is a effective round.

Still don’t understand why the .38 super wasn’t a hit with police seems like it would have a great round in a hot modern load?

I predict that .357 Sig will be like the .38 super in 10 years it’s out there but not many people carry it?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good information on the .357 Sig !

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1508.05843.pdf

I can’t says it the be all end all but seems to support that the theory .357 Sig is a effective round.

Still don’t understand why the .38 super wasn’t a hit with police seems like it would have a great round in a hot modern load?

I predict that .357 Sig will be like the .38 super in 10 years it’s out there but not many people carry it?

Good read.
    The 125 Grain .357 Sig rounds in the story were on the anemic side though.

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    357 sig, on paper, is pretty much the best "common" service cartridge.

In reality, its primary advantage is barrier penetration, and not much else. If I was a highway patrol officer who was regularly concerned with shooting through auto glass and car doors, it would be my top pick.

There's now some rather ridiculous 9mm loadings that are pushing 357 sig level velocities if you're really jonnesing for that kind of performance.

Top Bottom