• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I wouldn't trade 7 or 8 rounds of 9mm +P in a light, flat, easy to carry pistol with real sights and a decent trigger for any 5 shot snubby with a crappy 10 lb trigger and barely-there sights.

There are considerations that should be more important than a couple of ounces of weight. A carry gun should be more comforting than comfortable.
    How long will it be before you decide that your new lightweight .38 is a little too bulky and heavy, considering the pocket .380s that are much smaller and lighter?

Save your money. Buy more 9mm ammo and practice with your LC9. You've already got a Charter .38. Are you really going to spend $350-400 to buy the same thing you already have, minus a couple of ounces of weight? Might be cheaper to cinch up your belt another notch.

Pocket .380s are the devil!!!!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I wouldnt obsess about weight. Buy a good belt instead.

The Ruger LCR in .38 spl is light weight and has possibly the most usable trigger out of the box. You have mentioned a lot of different guns and I sense you might be spending a lot of money looking for gun nirvana. I'll let you in on a little secret, they are all fine. A person would be well armed with a Ruger LCR or Smith airweight on their person and a good quality mid or full size pistol at home. Better yet carry both! The trick is to buy a good belt.

I agree with everything you say here with the exception being the comment about the LCR trigger. I traded my LCR off just this past weekend because I could not get used to the reset.

After firing and letting the trigger out, it would feel like it was all the was out and reset, but it wasn't. That means no bang on the next pull. I found I had to essentially take my finger all the way off the trigger to be sure it had actually reset.

Since this wasn't a gun I wasn't going to carry often, I wasn't willing to take the time to train to over come it.

Pocket .380s are the devil!!!!

Why?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I agree with everything you say here with the exception being the comment about the LCR trigger. I traded my LCR off just this past weekend because I could not get used to the reset.

After firing and letting the trigger out, it would feel like it was all the was out and reset, but it wasn't. That means no bang on the next pull. I found I had to essentially take my finger all the way off the trigger to be sure it had actually reset.

Since this wasn't a gun I wasn't going to carry often, I wasn't willing to take the time to train to over come it.

Why?

Welcome to the double action revolver. They can be short stroked. Double action autos like the older LCP or Keltec PF9 will suffer the same issue.

There multiple threads on INGO regarding .380 pocket pistols. The devil comment was really more of a joke. However, it is no secret I do not recommend .380 pocket pistols as a primary handgun for personal defense. I do own multiple .380 handguns and one of them sat in my pocket all day last Sunday. When I had to run to Home Depot I put on a larger single stack 9mm as well, opting for the little LCP in leau of a spare magazine. I consider them useful for 1) a BUG 2) while wearing pajamas 3) in some sort of ultra deep concealment role.

The Glock 42 in .380 is the only current production .380 handgun I would consider or recommend as a primary personal defense handgun. The G42 is a little large for use as a pocket gun.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    The Glock 42 in .380 is the only current production .380 handgun I would consider or recommend as a primary personal defense handgun. The G42 is a little large for use as a pocket gun.

That depends on the size of your pocket. :)

I agree about the Glock 42. It's the only .380 that I own. Fantastic little shooter, and easily pocketable for me. I most often pocket carry my Shield 9, but I'll often pocket carry my G42 around the house or working in the yard. It's a .380, but still beats a .38 snubbie IMO.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Welcome to the double action revolver. They can be short stroked. Double action autos like the older LCP or Keltec PF9 will suffer the same issue.

This. The answer is not to ride the reset. You're probably slowing yourself down by doing so anyway.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This. The answer is not to ride the reset. You're probably slowing yourself down by doing so anyway.

For me, in my personal journey to better marksmanship, I'm to the stage where I'm trying to be cognizant of just letting off the trigger to get to reset so I've got the same finger placement on the trigger for follow-up shots.

I felt that putting in a lot of time with the LCR trigger would have set me back in that quest. But Other than that, it's a great gun. I just didn't have much need for it if I wasn't going to carry it.

Spaceman Spiff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2017
    Henderson
    Weight isn't always as much a concern as you might think. I IWB carry an SP101 357 mag in a clipless Sticky holster. While it may shift slightly after a long car ride, I really have no issues with it. I do have to wear a belt or it will move more. The LCR moved a lot less in a Sticky when I had it, but I preferred my SP101.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been shooting my G43 at a local steel match. A lot gets learned after the beep of the timer.

I'd highly recommend testing your skills under the pressure of competition, with your intended self defense carry gun. It might help you make a more informed decision on weapon choice. :dunno:

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Keep in mind that even .357 out of a 2" barrel will have severely diminished performance.

.38 Special standard pressure out of a 2" barrel is quite anemic. It's not great out of a 4" barrel, for that matter.

.38 +p is a definite boost over standard pressure - but even that, out of a 2" barrel, it's just not super duper great.

9mm out of a 3" barrel is, IIRC, about 30% more ft lbs energy (at the muzzle) than .38 Special.

I used to have a KelTec P11 (Double-stack magazine, 12 rds) that was, overall, quite a small firearm. On par, size-wise, with a J-frame revolver. I'd take 13 rds of standard 9mm vs. 5 of standard .38 special.

That said - I can often be found with a (PROPERLY holstered) J-Frame in a pocket. I understand the limitations of the gun, the cartridge (125gr SJHP +p) and myself.

A quality pistol the same dimensions of the KT P11 would be great, I think. I'm not ready to trust SKYY's offering - despite a guy that I respect a great deal carrying one often (Look up Tactical Professor online / Facebook)

I have an SCCY CPX2...its listed in the for sale section. I cant comment on carrying it but i can say that the trigger is bloody aweful. i much prefer my wifes LC9s over my SCCY. The gun itself functions well, the ergos arent bad... but that heavy pull and the fact that it breaks all the way at the end of the stroke and resets the same way just messes with me. after 250 rounds through it i still cant get the hang of the trigger. i am much more accurate with the LC9s... hell i do better with my friends .357 LCR.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    1. S&W Model 60 21 ounces 38 or 357 SA/DA trigger (which makes range time a whole lot more fun...)

2. If weight matters: S&W 340 PD Airweight 12 ounces....DA only

3. ....or go off the beaten track...If you like Charter Arms - go old school - I have a late '60' Bulldog pug in 44 special. SA/DA Trigger. Pretty decent build quality. Weighs a over a pound empty but who cares...its a "44".

3a. The choices just go on and on and on....

4. Like 9mm? How about a S&W 986 PC revolver - you'll never look at your Charter Arms the same!!

5. What is a vacation? I'm self-employed.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've often said, 'All one really needs is a good 5-shot .38!' and it's true!

That being said, there are so many varieties out there that the decision to pick one can be a bit daunting at times.

I've had a few .38's...Ruger...Taurus (a piece of crap to be honest)...Rossi...etc. but my favorite was the SP101...as it was the best shooter of all the .38's I've had!

A Smith 442 or 642 has been on my list for a while...just never picked one up!

I have a preference for the DAO .38's...and have never had an issue with the longer shots with one...just take your time and shoot (squeeze) carefully!

Best of luck with it...

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For me, in my personal journey to better marksmanship, I'm to the stage where I'm trying to be cognizant of just letting off the trigger to get to reset so I've got the same finger placement on the trigger for follow-up shots.

Riding the reset isn't the way to learn that. Consistent grip and proper index is. Your finger will hit the same spot on the trigger every time if your grip is the same every time. That's something you can practice in dry fire. What you're doing now is developing a habit you'll just have to break later.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. S&W Model 60 21 ounces 38 or 357 SA/DA trigger (which makes range time a whole lot more fun...)

2. If weight matters: S&W 340 PD Airweight 12 ounces....DA only

3. ....or go off the beaten track...If you like Charter Arms - go old school - I have a late '60' Bulldog pug in 44 special. SA/DA Trigger. Pretty decent build quality. Weighs a over a pound empty but who cares...its a "44".

3a. The choices just go on and on and on....

4. Like 9mm? How about a S&W 986 PC revolver - you'll never look at your Charter Arms the same!!

5. What is a vacation? I'm self-employed.[/QUOTE

Never heard of it since I wasn't looking for the .357, and at over $1000 retail: ouch.
    And, in reading about it, a person would have to respect the recoil: not for everyone.
    Even used, it would be $$.
    S/W 340 PD for $821 at Hoosier Armory: 11.4 oz

SPECIFICATIONS:

Model: Model 340 PD
    Caliber: .357 Magnum, .38 S&W SPECIAL +P
    Capacity: 5
    Barrel Length:
    Overall Length: 6.3"
    Front Sight: HI-VIZ® Fiber Optic Green
    Rear Sight: Fixed
    Action: Double Action Only
    Grip: Synthetic
    Weight: 11.8 oz / 334.5g
    Cylinder Material: Titanium Alloy
    Barrel Material: Stainless Steel
    Frame Material: Scandium Alloy
    Frame Finish: Matte Black
    Purpose: Concealed Carry, Law Enforcement & Military, Personal Protection, State Compliance

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've often said, 'All one really needs is a good 5-shot .38!' and it's true!

That being said, there are so many varieties out there that the decision to pick one can be a bit daunting at times.

I've had a few .38's...Ruger...Taurus (a piece of crap to be honest)...Rossi...etc. but my favorite was the SP101...as it was the best shooter of all the .38's I've had!

A Smith 442 or 642 has been on my list for a while...just never picked one up!

I have a preference for the DAO .38's...and have never had an issue with the longer shots with one...just take your time and shoot (squeeze) carefully!

Best of luck with it...

1. Your attitude about the 5 shot is shared by many, but not on a gun site primarily. :laugh:
    2. That's always been my attitude. If I'm in a situation of 2 or 3 armed men: I'm dead anyway, but I'm sure many think they can drop 2 quickly and just deal with the one l left.
    3. Heck, I'm a teacher (used to working 2 jobs) and I know I'll never spend time getting to that level of combat readiness.
    4. I quit carrying around early 90s when I quit working evenings and midnights at the hospital, stopped going downtown in the evening and moved to a better location in the city (1/2 -- 1 mile away gunshots regularly heard at another residence at the apartment complexes).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Riding the reset isn't the way to learn that. Consistent grip and proper index is. Your finger will hit the same spot on the trigger every time if your grip is the same every time. That's something you can practice in dry fire. What you're doing now is developing a habit you'll just have to break later.

Have to agree with this. I was guilty of 'riding the reset' upon entering the striker fired world. Once I stopped looking for it, things sped up and accuracy improved (well marginally in my case...).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. the Smith I was talking about (i think this thread) for $400, SS, 4 inch is gone from Armslist, I thought it had probably sold since he didn't get back wiht me yesterday.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    EDITED:

In your situation, I would get the LCR or LCRx in 38+p and not look back. Now the question is barrel length... Since you want light and compact, go for the shorter barrel length (1.85" or whatever it is)

J-frames are good, but even J-frame enthusiasts can respect the LCR (in my exp). considering the price and the good-from-the-box trigger pull, it is a solid contender.

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    THESE ARE ALL HEAVIER THAN YOU WANT, but...
    If you wanted to shoot magnums, the SP101 is a solid contender as well.
    As is the S&W 640 (regular or performance center), and the 649.
    I'm partial to the model 60, but it may be longer than needed/wanted (I'm also partial to the 3" SP101) -- I love 3 inch, 5-shooters. Too big for pocket carry, but IWB would be ideal.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'm not a huge revolver guy but I did read your concerns about wanting a hammer to cock but worrying about snagging. Be sure you've looked into shrouded hammers which i know are available on some of the Smiths

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up the S/W 642 today at Cabela's and took it to the range.
    Hard to hold onto w/o hurting your hand: small. Not that it would matter in an emergency situation.
    I can't imagine what the Smith Model 340 PD .357 Magnum, at 11.8 oz, is like to hold onto (this 642 comes in at 14.4 unloaded).
    I would like to try one, though, and just use 38s in it, but at $821 at Hoosier Armory, I'll not be spending $521 more for a pocket 38.
    I can't remember any difference between the 642 and the Charter Arms lightweight that I had (it was 16 oz) when firing them, but I don't mind spending $50 more to have the Smith.
    I would also like to try the 12 oz Charter Arms.

Top Bottom