• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dingleberry

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 12, 2021
    Indiana
    It’s not 1978 quit wearing socks with your sandals and discussing revolvers!

iu

On a different note, the Taurus 856 has made me eat my own words that all Taurus is trash. It has continued to impress me for a sub $350 wheelgun.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Nice gun!
    It was to get my Kimber Ultra Compact 45 back. I found the 45 on INGO for a great price nearby. Bought it, wife saw it and said "Thanks for the Kimber". I got to clean it and reload rounds for it but it was always in her purse. Bought the S&W and she liked the fact it was much lighter to deal with. She can shoot either one well.

Don

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP- First and foremost: Take a safety and gun handling class! That decision is the easiest you will ever make for a new gun owner. It’s been said before many times but it’s true. Then before you buy anything go to an indoor range and Try/Rent a few pistols and revolvers. It would be $$$ very well spent. Finally, think twice about a snub by as a first gun. The suggestions above should be well taken based upon many of the posters here having years of experience.
    Best of luck to you! :wavey:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    OP- First and foremost: Take a safety and gun handling class! That decision is the easiest you will ever make for a new gun owner. It’s been said before many times but it’s true. Then before you buy anything go to an indoor range and Try/Rent a few pistols and revolvers. It would be $$$ very well spent. Finally, think twice about a snub by as a first gun. The suggestions above should be well taken based upon many of the posters here having years of experience.
    Best of luck to you! :wavey:
    I will add even if you are a seasoned firearm user go to a couple training classes by vetted national instructors I’m retired and was a FLETC certified instructor and specialty Instructor I still go to classes and learn . Did some Dave Spaulding classes Lee Weems and picked up my Range Master Instructor class and learned a ton made new friends and HAD a BLAST!

Doing John Hearne’s CLASSES THIS SUMMER AND plan ON THE range Master advance instructor this fall. Take the time to go and nothing against anyone’s Uncle Willy from the National Guard in 1970 but a lot of things have changed with the emolument of any type of firearms!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I usually recommend a revolver to new shooters if they ask. It takes proper training and practice to be proficient with a semi auto pistol. You need to be able to deal with failures to fire/eject/clear and safety the weapon . A revolver is much easier to start with. The operation is intuitive and deploying it is easier.

My $.02.

Don

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I usually recommend a revolver to new shooters if they ask. It takes proper training and practice to be proficient with a semi auto pistol. You need to be able to deal with failures to fire/eject/clear and safety the weapon . A revolver is much easier to start with. The operation is intuitive and deploying it is easier.

My $.02.

Don

If someone is too stupid to operate a semi automatic firearm they should not own any firearms , absolutely no purple intended

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

My $.02.

Don
    That is a very nice way of saying it. When I went looking for my first gun, I was actually told by a clerk that revolvers are better for ladies because they are idiotproof.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    If someone is too stupid to operate a semi automatic firearm they should not own any firearms , absolutely no purple intended
    It’s not about being stupid. A lot of folks just want a gun for that sock drawer or they have issues running a slide. I teach firearms and the bulk of our classes are intro to handguns. There are a lot of 69 year old plus folks and especially ladies. And while sometimes a snub revolver is t an ideal gun autos have their own set of obstacles for some shooters.

The bulk of these folks are either not going to do much shooting outside of that 4 hour class they took. OR they have hand issues where a proper grip is not managed to keep an auto from not malfunctioning. So you have to diagnose their issues and give them the best option

More times than not it’s a wheelgun. There are only 15-20,000 professional firearm students in the country the rest just think they know how to run a handgun that’s what you deal with!

Last edited:

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    An abundance of Good Info on this thread, not the least of which in regards to taking an Instructional Class.
    A Must-Do for beginners, IMO.
    Also, Another Vote here for the Ruger LCR-38 Spl in 3" bbl.
    While a Snubby (2" bbl) is easily concealable, it may prove difficult/frustrating in the Accuracy Dept.

Top Bottom