• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    I must admit to no longer owning a wheel-gun. Last one to go was a Rossi 3" 44 spl. I kept it around because it was the only gun my wife would shoot... 20 years ago. She hasn't touched it, or anything else since, so out it went.
    What follows is opinion only.
    If I were going to use .38 spl for SD, it would be a Charter Arms Off Duty, or a S&W 642: shrouded hammer makes for really simple deployment from anywhere; 12-14 oz makes it easy to carry. Were it for home defense, I'd chose a nice, heavy, Ruger GP100 4". Heavy enough to tame .357 loads, long enough barrel to justify the expense of .357 ammo.
    As stated above, I no longer own a wheel gun. I am a lot happier with 13+1 230gr HST, and two spare mags for my G21g4.
    I have several wheelguns and conceal carry a couple. The Ruger LCR in .38+p gets my vote. Second choice is my .357 Ladysmith with a technaclip installed so I can go holsterless. The LCR sits where I like it because I bought an aftermarket G10 grip. Yes the trigger is not protected in either of these situations but being a revolver I am comfortable with that decision.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Must have shot himself in the foot with a striker-fire ;)
    When not logged in, it shows new member joined 3-31-23. First post 4-1–23 April fools day.

Don’t know why, but this seems like someone’s idea of a joke. Member hasn’t returned. JMO.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Didn't bother reading the thread, but I'm sure this is echoing something said already:

Get a compact or sub compact 9. 38 revolvers are the hardest guns to shoot. If you're new to the carry world you really have no business carrying one.

Personally I think the Glock 43/43x is a solid choice. There are other options.

When you find one, take a class and learn to shoot. Then, when you've done all that, you can look for a snubby and spend another few years learning how to hit the broadside of a barn with it.

Edit:
    Guess I should have read the thread...

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Didn't bother reading the thread, but I'm sure this is echoing something said already:

Get a compact or sub compact 9. 38 revolvers are the hardest guns to shoot. If you're new to the carry world you really have no business carrying one.

Personally I think the Glock 43/43x is a solid choice. There are other options.

When you find one, take a class and learn to shoot. Then, when you've done all that, you can look for a snubby and spend another few years learning how to hit the broadside of a barn with it.

Edit:
    Guess I should have read the thread...
    Some of us have no problem shooting short barrel DA/DAO pistols to minute of badguy accuracy at GTFOM distances. I choose not to carry a small wheelgun. I do carry a Keltec P32 which has 6+1 of 32ACP. Little guns are not hard to shoot. They just require a modicum of practice. Ditto the DA/DAO triggers. Hardest gun to shoot (well)? My guess would be the 700 Nitro Express. In a handgun, anything that starts with .454.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It is not how long it is but how good you use it .to re phrase an old saying.Know people with short ones that get the job done & others that spray and pray don't If i remember correctly the man that shot the shooter in the indiana mall did not miss his target and did not use over 5 shots.
    If it's the one I'm thinking of at the Greenwood mall, it was 10 shots with 2 misses. And he used a *lock not a revolver.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Some of us cut our teeth on wheel guns before the wonder 9's. Learning to shoot a DA revolver will give you better trigger control on the wonder 9.
    I've heard it said, often, one doesn't not shoot a semi-auto pistol well until they shoot a DA revolver well! There's something to be said about learning trigger control and 'squeezing' with a DAO revolver trigger that one will never 'get' (nor appreciate) while shooting a semi-auto pistol, without that DAO revolver trigger experience!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When not logged in, it shows new member joined 3-31-23. First post 4-1–23 April fools day.

Don’t know why, but this seems like someone’s idea of a joke. Member hasn’t returned. JMO.

Not a grand conspiracy.

The man introduced himself, used us, and ghosted us. Happens millions of times per year on Tinder.

Reactions: Mij

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Some of us have no problem shooting short barrel DA/DAO pistols to minute of badguy accuracy at GTFOM distances. I choose not to carry a small wheelgun. I do carry a Keltec P32 which has 6+1 of 32ACP. Little guns are not hard to shoot. They just require a modicum of practice. Ditto the DA/DAO triggers. Hardest gun to shoot (well)? My guess would be the 700 Nitro Express. In a handgun, anything that starts with .454.
    sigh. re read my advice as if you were a new gun owner and not experienced with firearms.

Top Bottom