• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Misunderstanding, I should have said I don't care what BATFE thinks, I think it's cool.

If that took 15 hours to print, a stock would take a week!

I have the CNC version to carve one out of aluminum somewhere, I haven't seen one in a couple years, but it's was 'Cool' for about a minute.
    We did the receivers out of forged aluminum billet, with optics rail built in, a 'Thing' about 7-8 years back for the rimfire bench guys.
    Actually more trouble than it was worth, but it was something different...

closer to 24 hrs actually but depends on what you want. (I wanted 2 buffer tubes together because I'm a sasquatch)
    DYdReZ7.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    closer to 24 hrs actually but depends on what you want. (I wanted 2 buffer tubes together because I'm a sasquatch)
    DYdReZ7.jpg

Ithink I have that STL file. It's in 3 pieces? I am tinkering with it to turn it in to a Charger stock. How well does that fit? I am curious.

I just finished another reciever. This one will probably be a Charger build. I have to cut and crown a barrel. I bought several guide rod springs to play with weight.

This one was printed with 10 shells. .2 layer height. 75 % infill. 35% support. It feels a bit more ridged. I change the scaling a bit I made it .5% wider. The bolt fits great.

It does take a bit of work to clean the support out and sand the inside a little. But I think it came out really good. I should have it together tomorrow. I have another barrel somewhere, and I have another that should get here tomorrow.

I should have enough to build 3 to play with. I will post some pics tomorrow

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    #2 in Silver PLA. I like it way more then the red. I printed this one with 10 shells. This one did require more fitment for the bolt and the stock.

Too much fun!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Ithink I have that STL file. It's in 3 pieces? I am tinkering with it to turn it in to a Charger stock. How well does that fit? I am curious.

I just finished another reciever. This one will probably be a Charger build. I have to cut and crown a barrel. I bought several guide rod springs to play with weight.

This one was printed with 10 shells. .2 layer height. 75 % infill. 35% support. It feels a bit more ridged. I change the scaling a bit I made it .5% wider. The bolt fits great.

It does take a bit of work to clean the support out and sand the inside a little. But I think it came out really good. I should have it together tomorrow. I have another barrel somewhere, and I have another that should get here tomorrow.

I should have enough to build 3 to play with. I will post some pics tomorrow

Yes, 3 pieces plus the AR grip. That one's ABS (yay acetone glue) and had some scaling issues on the long axis... 1-2% overall but the sides are close enough and the height's irrelevant. plus two buffer tubes to glue together. Honestly, it was going to be a prototype (4-5 shells and lowish infill) but worked well enough I haven't revisited it. Due to the thinness, it's a bit flexible but it does well enough.

I've found ABS sanding and finishing is only to be done with good ventilation or your eyes, nose, and throat will hate you.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Yes, 3 pieces plus the AR grip. That one's ABS (yay acetone glue) and had some scaling issues on the long axis... 1-2% overall but the sides are close enough and the height's irrelevant. plus two buffer tubes to glue together. Honestly, it was going to be a prototype (4-5 shells and lowish infill) but worked well enough I haven't revisited it. Due to the thinness, it's a bit flexible but it does well enough.

I've found ABS sanding and finishing is only to be done with good ventilation or your eyes, nose, and throat will hate you.

I thought that looked familiar. I am tinkering with it to turn it in to a charger grip. The hand grip I found doesn't fit the stock. Which grip did you use?

I printed a trigger housing. it came out great. I haven't reamed the pin holes yet. I might do that later today.

I am having to much fun!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Wow I am truly amazed. I just wanna see one of these 3d printers in action. This is like futuristic technology to me lol

They are a lot of fun. I wish you were closer Mike, you would be welcome to check it out.

Proof of life. The first 5 shoots out of #2. It shot flawlessly. I used crappy golden bullets for the test fire. If it shoots those it should be fine. I have video of my son shooting it next. I will post up that video in a bit.

[video=youtube;A36H9cFEQMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A36H9cFEQMQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not sure what BATFE thinks, but I think it's cool!

If I ever have time to take up another hobby, 3D printing is at the top of the list...

Jeep, as long as one is not a prohibited person, it is legal to make your own Title I firearm FOR YOUR OWN USE AND NOT TO SELL.

If you desire to make guns and sell them, then you need a license.

1911 if one of our more technically inclined members so it is no surprise to see him as an early adapter to the 3-D technology. He is also a regular on INGO so I have every reason to believe he knows he can make his own guns, but cannot sell them without obtaining an FFL.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I thought that looked familiar. I am tinkering with it to turn it in to a charger grip. The hand grip I found doesn't fit the stock. Which grip did you use?
    I printed a trigger housing. it came out great. I haven't reamed the pin holes yet. I might do that later today.
    I am having to much fun!

Grip is some AR15 grip on thingiverse. there are 2 versions in the zip file, one at the normal angle, one steeper.

I have noticed that ABS blows for threads. I think it's too brittle and any material displacement as you thread the screw in just sheers the material off rather than pushing it out of the way but still attached with PETG.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Jeep, as long as one is not a prohibited person, it is legal to make your own Title I firearm FOR YOUR OWN USE AND NOT TO SELL.

If you desire to make guns and sell them, then you need a license.

1911 if one of our more technically inclined members so it is no surprise to see him as an early adapter to the 3-D technology. He is also a regular on INGO so I have every reason to believe he knows he can make his own guns, but cannot sell them without obtaining an FFL.

Thanks Kirk. I have built several guns and yep, I do know that I can only build for myself.

It's pretty cool to be able to load a file & some media and print a receiver. But I will add that it is not totally quite that simple. Chances of buying a printer for a few hundred bucks and just printing a successful receiver right from the start are very slim. I spent a long time dialing in my printer. You need to be able to print a flawless print.

Layer adhesion need to be perfect. Extrusion width must be correct. If not, then you can end up with a dangerous gun.

I also will not try to build anything with a 3d printed barrel. That is just stupid and is what they show exploding on all the anti gun news outlets.

There are some gun parts that should never be printed. Use good judgement. There are rules about the minimum amount of metal that must be used in a gun build. 3.7 ounces. My barrel and bolt are way over that.

Take the time to get to know your printer and 3d printing in general before you attempt to print a gun.

3d printing is a awesome hobby. If you are thinking about getting in to 3d printing there are some really awesome 3d printing YouTube channels filled with tips, tricks and reviews.

There is also post in the break room about printing. It's a bit long. But filled with a lot of info. Several of us post often about our printers and printing projects. And about are troubles and successes. Check it out.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-officially-unofficial-3d-printer-thread.html

Larry

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Grip is some AR15 grip on thingiverse. there are 2 versions in the zip file, one at the normal angle, one steeper.

I have noticed that ABS blows for threads. I think it's too brittle and any material displacement as you thread the screw in just sheers the material off rather than pushing it out of the way but still attached with PETG.

Thanks Russ. I will check those out. The one grip I tried was from the Fosscad pack. PLA takes threads awesomely. I haven't tried threading PETG or ABS yet. I also just got some "tough" PLA. I haven't had the time to tinker with it yet. Soon though.

I expect that the PLA will eventually get brittle as it absorbs water from the air. I have notice that with rolls that I have left lay out. I might try clear coating some. But for the moment it makes a solid receiver. It's 10 to 15 hours to make another receiver when I see some fatigue. It's easy to reassemble another gun. Just break up the old one or toss it in the fire.

I want to try a PETG receiver soon. Maybe this weekend.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Here's a couple vids I made that show the printers in action
    Timelapse I made showing a print of an airway/trach training device:
    [video=youtube;n_aEe4Z-yQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_aEe4Z-yQ4[/video]

Video showing some bridging tests. Melty plastic droops easily when there is nothing underneath to support it. Think of a 3d printer as a glorified cnc glue gun, building one layer at a time:
    [video=youtube;8KUDauu0y5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KUDauu0y5s[/video]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Many many years ago when I first heard of a 3d printer it was a modified glue gun. It either in a Nuts and Volts magazine or on a Hackaday video. It is amazing to see how the technology has grown. I will be interesting to see what's next for the hobby.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Many many years ago when I first heard of a 3d printer it was a modified glue gun. It either in a Nuts and Volts magazine or on a Hackaday video. It is amazing to see how the technology has grown. I will be interesting to see what's next for the hobby.

Indeed. We still have to deal with 'melty plastic' and inconsistent clearances (for firearms tolerances) based on the filament diameter, hardware, voltage/heat, etc.
    The laser scintering and sla is here. But it's not affordable for most folks... in due time my friend!
    No more abs and petg and .1 or 2 layer lines hoping it will hold it's shape!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Indeed. We still have to deal with 'melty plastic' and inconsistent clearances (for firearms tolerances) based on the filament diameter, hardware, voltage/heat, etc.
    The laser scintering and sla is here. But it's not affordable for most folks... in due time my friend!
    No more abs and petg and .1 or 2 layer lines hoping it will hold it's shape!

It's sure going to be interesting to see what come next. I have a lot of rounds threw the receivers. The first one is showing some signs of wear. The wear is from taking it apart a couple dozen times. One of the holes for the trigger pack is coming loose but at the point where the media layers bond around the hole.

The print was a bit poor. I needed to up the overlap I could see little gaps at the circles. I have a couple hundred rounds threw it. I knew it was a week link. It is still shootable. But I will trash it. Hell, it's like 3 bucks of plastic. I'll just print another one.

I bought some "tough" PLA to play with. I will probably print one using that. I'd like to try a PETG and ABS print soon too. I will post back when I print another one.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    It's sure going to be interesting to see what come next. I have a lot of rounds threw the receivers. The first one is showing some signs of wear. The wear is from taking it apart a couple dozen times. One of the holes for the trigger pack is coming loose but at the point where the media layers bond around the hole.

The print was a bit poor. I needed to up the overlap I could see little gaps at the circles. I have a couple hundred rounds threw it. I knew it was a week link. It is still shootable. But I will trash it. Hell, it's like 3 bucks of plastic. I'll just print another one.

PETG may not be bad. Have a few spools but haven't tried it yet. I've heard it strings, and sticks TOO WELL to the bed plate (ie breaks the glass when removing if you've got too much squish on 1st layer).
    I've printed some 'heavy duty' parts with that esun pla+ and it's some slick stuff. sorta between PETG and PLA. prints a little hotter and strings a hair more than pla, but anneals well & is certainly more sturdy than pla.

Joel just did a couple vids on testing his shelf brackets with different plastics that is interesting. The shelf bracket loads probably don't equate to loads on pinholes on receivers, but the results were interesting

I bought some "tough" PLA to play with. I will probably print one using that. I'd like to try a PETG and ABS print soon too. I will post back when I print another one.

In any event, I'll keep watching to see what you come up with!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have printed with PETG. It is interesting. It was stringing like crazy. I could not control it with retraction. Temp didn't seem to help. It just got more stringy the hotter it got and it clogged at lower temps. But when the temp was right the strings just wiped off. It was baby hair fine. Very easy to clean off. I don't remember how it was to get off the bed.

If it taps ok it should be great for a receiver. I have most of a roll left to play with. I will let you know how it goes. I will probably print a few test pieces to see how it drills ad taps. If it is ok, then I'll give printing a receiver a try.

I think the tough PLA will be good for it though. We will see. I am eager to see you print a receiver.

Top Bottom