• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    It's something I will try someday. Modern plastics could work in the place of steel in a lot of old guns and restore ones looking for parts that are otherwise unobtainable,
    Yes and no. the materials aren't the same so you can't replace steel with plastic 1:1. The plastic guns don't always look nearly as sleek as steel or aluminum ones. pistols don't look much different because the plastic frame isn't containing most of the energy, the metal slide and barrel are.

That being said, a 1022 just needs a metal slug in the bolt for weight to slow down the cycling. steel barrel liner, steel springs, hammer, and firing pin. plastic bolt, plastic receiver, plastic stock.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Yes and no. the materials aren't the same so you can't replace steel with plastic 1:1. The plastic guns don't always look nearly as sleek as steel or aluminum ones. pistols don't look much different because the plastic frame isn't containing most of the energy, the metal slide and barrel are.

That being said, a 1022 just needs a metal slug in the bolt for weight to slow down the cycling. steel barrel liner, steel springs, hammer, and firing pin. plastic bolt, plastic receiver, plastic stock.

My thoughts are to use them for internal parts where you don't see them. I would not expect them to last as long, but many small parts in revolvers like Bacons, Coopers, and Merwins are simply not available and there isn't enough demand to get people to run them. Guns like those can set for years and never see parts.

Guns like this aren't shot much and if say the printed part broke after 200 shots, you just print another.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    My thoughts are to use them for internal parts where you don't see them. I would not expect them to last as long, but many small parts in revolvers like Bacons, Coopers, and Merwins are simply not available and there isn't enough demand to get people to run them. Guns like those can set for years and never see parts.

Guns like this aren't shot much and if say the printed part broke after 200 shots, you just print another
    I definitely see how it could expedite things on the consumer end, if you had a part on one of those guns you COULD go and just replace those parts with pla but if you have parts to functional spec you can very easily send the measurements in to a CNC shop that could cut and grind your parts for you and send it back for you to put in your newly reliable revolver.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I'd love to have a 3D printer, what are to costs associated with them? I love the F the gubment aspect of 3D printed guns...They don't need to know everything ( I'm sure forums like this are monitored)....

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Has anyone read the files yet on Ivan's new MP-5 variant?

Everything Ivan drops a new gun I just giggle knowing that he will have many years to design more and better guns and knowing that there is absolutely nothing the antis can do.

They chased guns into cyberspace where they cannot be regulated and there is nothing they can do about it.

el_barto3

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2023
    New Albany
    I'd love to have a 3D printer, what are to costs associated with them?
    A good starter printer like a ender 3 V2 iss only Abt 250$ shipped (175$ used) and good pla pro that can take the heat and pressure you need is only Abt 35-40$ a roll, you can get Abt 4-6 full frame handgun frames printed from a roll if you have none of them fail. Their really isn't much more to it than that, from there you just need a parts kit, complete slide/upper, lower parts kit, and rails, for a Glock this is normally around <300$ when all is said and done, mine costs me 288$ all together. I have some good links here:

Creality Ender 3 V2 3D Printer with Silent Motherboard Branded Power Supply Resume Printing Function, FDM 3D Printers Build Size 8.66x8.66x9.84 inch https://a.co/d/ijsJb19

Polymaker PLA PRO Filament Black, Powerful 1.75mm 3D Printer Filament 1kg - PolyLite PLA Filament PRO Tough & High Rigidity 3D Printing https://a.co/d/eikJSOG

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Purdue announces a new innovation (or enhancement) by Prof. Gary Cheng of Industrial Engineering. 3-D metal printing, sooner and better than we thought.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    A powdered metal printer would be fun, but those are mega bucks.

I remember at Bell labs we had one of the first stereolithography machines where an ultraviolet laser cured liquid polymer layer by layer.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have printed many 10-22's with great success. I found the files on line. I did have to make a few changes. My modeling skills are semi basic. I am not sure I would try to design one with my skills. but I love working with what is out there. Lots of fun!!

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Picked up an Ender 3 S1 Pro to play with. After some struggles with bed adhesion it seems to work. Just spent a day printing a CZ Scorpion mag. Parts took a little cleanup and filing to fit together properly, but I'm pretty impressed at what the machine was able to achieve.

Looking at some of the options that build around Mac10 uppers, which are cheap and available. A plebian TP-9 build might be pretty cool. The last six months or so have seen some people doing really cool stuff with PLA Form 1 cans and fiberglass wrapping. Obviously they can't be burned down like full auto steel cans, but they can do crazy baffle designs and hold up better than you might think.

Top Bottom