• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have heard and read that the lower the bore axis the softer the recoil due to the leverage. It brings the recoil back into the hand vs. back over the top of the hand.

From what I know (have not shot all of these), the Glocks, Ruger SR, and M&P have low bore axis. This may help. I have heard good things about all 3 of these .40s.

I have shot a friend's Glock .40 and I would say it was similar to shooting a 9mm. I did not notice the recoil being that bad and I am not a brute. That said, I was not doing quick follow up shots and I am not a great pistol marksman.

Just my 2 cents!

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Recommendation: Beretta Storm

Why:
    Best one I've heard about so far is the Beretta Storm in .40 cal. I have a co worker who owns a full size Storm in .40 and he says it like shooting a 9mm. He said the reduction in felt recoil from the rotating locking barrel mechanism is very noticeable. I would spend some time looking into that pistol. You can only get the rotating barrel locking mechanism in the compact and full size models. The sub compact model switches to the typical John Browning tilt barrel, forward locking design. My coworker works in a gun store and he is also former law enforcement, if that adds any creditability to the reference. He is also a .40 advocate and lover. All his handguns are in .40 so he's got a lot of experience with the caliber.

Last edited:

csmith

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Clinton county
    I own a SD40 as well as a M&P40C. I don't find the recoil to be terrible on either one but will say that the SD is softer shooting than the M&P compact.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    If you look at grains of powder to grains of lead, the .40 is a hot load compared to .45. If you reload, you can play with reduced powder recepies though you'll reduce effectiveness in the process. (don't have any to suggest)
    If you're dead set on keeping the .40, I might be more inclined to working more on hand and forearm strengthening, rather than trying to tame the load though.

Not saying anything against you. Just making suggestions. My fav sidearm is my XD(m) .40 and I initially had a difficult time with it for the same reasons.

Thanks, I've got my weights and hand exerciser beside my LaZboy, work on 'em every day. Went to Lowes and bought a pair of Mechanix gloves..Problem fixed. Thanks for the in put, if I reloaded I would be putting about 5 grains in each load. I think 4.5 is about as low as one can go.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    I have heard and read that the lower the bore axis the softer the recoil due to the leverage. It brings the recoil back into the hand vs. back over the top of the hand.

From what I know (have not shot all of these), the Glocks, Ruger SR, and M&P have low bore axis. This may help. I have heard good things about all 3 of these .40s.

I have shot a friend's Glock .40 and I would say it was similar to shooting a 9mm. I did not notice the recoil being that bad and I am not a brute. That said, I was not doing quick follow up shots and I am not a great pistol marksman.

Just my 2 cents!
    Thanks...

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I used to think .40 S&W had massive recoil because it was my first pistol. I switched over to 9mm and shot that exclusively for a couple years. Now I can shoot a 9, .40, and .45 pretty much the same.

The last .40 I shot was the same as my first gun, the P229R. It's actually a really soft shooter to me now.

I'm willing to bet this is a really soft shooter in .40.
    Edge_Main.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    G22 is a smooth shooter. Everyone is different when it comes to felt recoil though. My EDC is a G27 and I also have the G23. I enjoy shooting both of them and I do not notice much recoil. Sure it is more snappy than a 9mm, but it does not feel bad to me at all. I have seen others that will hand the 27 back after one shot and say no more. Everyone has their own opinion, just try to shoot a few other makes and models and see what works best for you.

Yeah, the G27 aint no punk

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I too am a fan of the 40s&w cartridge... as well as the 45acp. I prefer the 40 for carry and my reasons are personal preference. After carrying the 40s&w for 15 years or so, I can definitely tell you weight is your friend. There is a big difference between shooting tactical tuppereware and steel My EDC is an EMP40, which rides very comfortable all day long in a good holster with a dual ply gun belt... at 40oz loaded. I find it very manageable and dare I say, pleasant shooting, especially for a 3" barrel.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    As said earlier...... Ruger SR40 is very soft shooting for a .40. Actually thinking of getting another for a range gun. Stop in at a range sometime and try a few of the ones recommended or find someone close willing to let you give one or more of the recommended ones a try. If you find one that fits well and is soft shooting you will be in business.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I shoot an XD40sc. It is a little snappy, but you get used to it. I also shoot a 1911 and the 45 recoils less than the 40. However we are also talking about a 49 oz. gun with the 45 and a 25-30 oz. gun with the XD. I enjoy shooting the 40 now because of the snap. When I am at the range with friends and they let me shoot their 9's, all I can think after shooting is "Awww. That's so cute". Then I go back to shooting the 40 or 45 and I feel like I'm shooting again.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1 for the Beretta PX4 Storm. I bought one earlier this year chambered in .40 S&W, love it. I've shot other handguns in .40, and this one has the lightest recoil. It also flings the spent casing about 20 yards to the side.

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    i am a huge fan of the 10x22mm s&w(read forty cal),i have had the m&p40 but found i prefer glocks easy shooting for me,my wife on the other hand likes a little less recoil i picked up some 135 grain federal jhp at walmart they are a very soft shooting round(135 gr (8.7 g) Federal Premium JHP Reduced Recoil1,190 ft/s (360 m/s)424 ft·lbf (575 J)135 gr (8.7 g) Federal Premium JHP Reduced Recoil1,190 ft/s (360 m/s)424 ft·lbf (575 J)1190 f/s 424 ft/lb) a lot less kick still enough for selfdefense

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I hate the .40 for this very reason. I do own 3 however.

Lightest recoil in my stable
    All steel glock 22
    Witness limited
    CZ IPSC

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I need a 40 with a lot less recoil than the S&W D 40.. This 23 oz. gun is a shhoter, but it's WRECKING:( my hand. Which would be a tamer pistol in 40 caliber for me?
    I have a SW40VE. I don't seem to have any problems with the recoil and it weighs around 24oz empty. Maybe you need look into a Glock 23? Sometimes its not the weight of the gun as it is the grip angle. :dunno:

Hazwhopper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2010
    Well not to add just another weapon, but I have shot the 40 in different manufacturers. The lightest model that I have and shoot is the Springfield XDM. I have both XD and XDM. The trigger is close. The XD is a subcompact. The XDM is very manageable. But again there are many out there. The sig is hot and very accurate!
    Love my XDM.

Top Bottom