• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Newburgh, IN
    The 45 ACP is a great round. It's the standard by which others are judged...so that has to tell you something right there.

That said, the .40 is a great round. A little snappier, but its nothing you can't train for. And the .40 carries a lot energy witha fair amount of capacity in most guns.

Bottom line - you don't want to get hit by either, particularly in a Federal HST round.

You can't go wrong with either as long as you get a good gun.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Being a fan of no specific round, I'd have to compare two things. Cost to shoot and knock-down power. While the .40 has some good umph behind it (high speed 180gr bullet), I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of speed and go heaver @ 230gr bullet. When I say high speed, I personally don't see where in a self defense role that the extra 100-200 FPS is going to affect you that bad. Regardless if the bullet gets to the BG at 700FPS or 1000FPS, if you have a heavy enough round, I'm sure it'll hurt/stop them.

Now for price - the reason I sold my .45 1911 that I loved dearly was due to cost. I replaced it with a .40 S&W P226 Dark Elite. Boy was I mistaken. The rounds are just about the same in cost.

GO WITH .45 !

I wish I could afford to shoot .45, because I'd still have one. Unfortunately though I've converted to 9mm and 22LR. The cheap man's way out =)

What's up with all the pro-.45 guys talking about "knockdown power?" Are 45's shooting grapeshot now?

I am personally pro-9mm. I'm also a firearms noob, while I love them and do my best to gather knowledge on them, I haven't learned nearly enough.

However I simply feel that a heavier bullet with a bigger footprint will have more force behind it. There's the arguement that people like me go by: You can be hit by a Geo Metro (9mm) or a GMC Envoy (40 S&W) - either way, it's gonna hurt like a b***h. Or you can go the other route, and say that you could either have a Geo Metro (9mm) or a Dump Truck (45ACP) run into a building, it makes more sense that the slower yet more momentum-driven Dump Truck (45ACP for example's sake) would cause more damage.

I think of it in a sense where you have somebody coming at you. You have a choice: Fire a bicycle (22LR), a Motorcycle (380ACP), a Geo Metro (9mm), a GMC Envoy (40 S&W), or a freaking dump truck (45ACP) at him. I'm going to throw the thing that hurts the most.

Last edited:

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I would have to say I enjoy shooting .45 more. Both will put a hole at a target. I buy federal 100 pack of .40s for 27.XX and I buy federal .45s for 17.XX. So keep that in mind when deciding.

I do agree with the 10mm comment tho. Such an amazing round

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!

PimpStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    Looking for some advice......I have narrowed my choice of a new pistol to the M&P Compact. My question is which do you prefer and why, the .40 or the .45 version of each. I have heard that the recoil is "snappier" with the .40 more so than the .45. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Mike

:popcorn:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Looking for some advice......I have narrowed my choice of a new pistol to the M&P Compact. My question is which do you prefer and why, the .40 or the .45 version of each. I have heard that the recoil is "snappier" with the .40 more so than the .45. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Mike

My :twocents: is always go out and shoot before you buy. If you have an opportunity to shoot both a 40 & 45 before you buy you'll be able to form your own opinion and less likely to regreat your purchase.

My first pistol and favorite is a 40 cal HK. However not all 40's are the same to me, maybe it's just my prception? That said, I do prefer the 45 when it comes to recoil....it all depends on your goal for the round self defense or a plinker. :dunno::twocents:

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

mj06iu

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    However not all 40's are the same to me, maybe it's just my prception?
    mj06iu

Totally true. Had a Taurus 24/7 in .40 as my first handgun and was not a huge fan because the recoil seemed like a lot to me because of the polymer frame. But now that I have a Beretta 96 with the metal frame, it is much more enjoyable to shoot. I have also shot a Sigma in a 9mm my friend got as his first handgun and it had way too much recoil, especially for a 9mm. Too much plastic on it....:(

Mattmh3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yeoman
    While 40 isn't my favorite round (9mm), I don't think it's worthless. It has more capacity than 45, more options for different firearms, often the guns are lighter and more concealable, and cheaper ammo.
    Plus if you look and the numbers 40 outperforms 45 in comparable firearms in terms of ballistics almost every time. Unless you are shooting a 5 inch barrel 1911 most bb guns have a faster fps. I know velocity isn't everything but you do have to account for it when your 45 is traveling a mere 650 fps. They do penetrate pretty well because of weight, but I would argue a heavy 40 would penetrate the same. Th

They are both quality rounds capable of doing the job at hand. It's just personal preference. I'm a glock guy and when they make a g19 sized 45 acp( not gap) i may switch to 45 from 40.
    But one must remember the .45 does its work with mass and frontal area not velocity. Not saying it is superior to the .40, just clearing up the ballistics thing. just my :twocents:though.

rilesss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    NWI
    I will go with 40, because I already have a beretta 96 inbox, which I love, I am looking. For a 1911 in 40, so I can consolidate ammo

mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry, I didn't respond earlier, I've been out of town. Wow, I'm shocked at the number of replies. I'm a bit recoil sensitive, so that was the basis of my question. I reload so cost of ammo isn't as much of an issue for me. I'm really leaning towards the 45. I currently own a 40 Sigma, I just don't like the trigger on it and its a tad too big I feel to carry every day.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Thanks for all of the replies. Sorry, I didn't respond earlier, I've been out of town. Wow, I'm shocked at the number of replies. I'm a bit recoil sensitive, so that was the basis of my question. I reload so cost of ammo isn't as much of an issue for me. I'm really leaning towards the 45. I currently own a 40 Sigma, I just don't like the trigger on it and its a tad too big I feel to carry every day.

Not sure if it will affect your decision, but from what I have seen the Sigmas have not gotten very good reviews. Not sure about the triggers, but my friend had a Sigma in 9mm as his first handgun and I thought it had more recoil than any other gun I have shot, including .40s and .45s.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rudyjr
    Top Bottom