• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1. The thing that will make the biggest difference will likely be YOU - your abilities, your tactics, your skill level - than any small difference between the commonly available service calibers in modern loadings.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

This looks pretty accurate but pound some steel with these rounds.

red68ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Own them both and love both rounds. The .40 can do the job with no problem and is cheaper to shoot.

ipswervy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Somewhere Indiana
    I own the M&P45c. My choosing the 45 was based on I want to stay with one caliber. What ever handgun I choose to carry or shoot at the range it's always the same ammo, easy for reloading to. As for the cost, the 40 will save a couple of bucks per 50 rounds for FMJ if you comparison shop one manufacturer or no savings at all if you go with Hornady over some import brand. Ballistics, 45 muzzle velocity 800-900 fps, 40 muzzle velocity 950-1100 fps, BG isn't going to jump out of the way, and these vary widely among manufactures. Striking energy, they are close in comparison, it will hurt with either choice. The only bad I can say is, 40 caliber 1911? how could you, you should be embarrassed to even think such a thing. Anyway, you will like either one, there really is no plus or minus in my opinion for either. Can Of Worms.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I've been waiting for this pic to show up, now if we can only get someone to post the whole thing! The 10mm at the bottom is amazing!
    +1. The thing that will make the biggest difference will likely be YOU - your abilities, your tactics, your skill level - than any small difference between the commonly available service calibers in modern loadings.

Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

wire3115

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    I have a new Sig .40 tho havent put to many rounds thru it ,i don't see any problems with recoil. dont limp wrist and it don't hurt.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Jesus...

He doesnt need a gun...he has a sword in his tongue...look it up....a better question is what would chuck norris carry...anyway....if money were no object...i would cho
    ose 357 sig...this round is a beast...and good barrier penetration...look up the story where 357 sig went throuvh a truck to kill a bad guy when the 45 would not but be prepared to pay a bit more for 357 sig t
    WWJC? (What 8would Jesus carry?)

It would be a .45, but in a 1911 platform! ;)

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Like the 45 quite a bit, have 357sig and 9mm also. 45 and 357 are the make of gun (XD). Have shot M&P 40 and XDM 40. Like the XDM 40 better than M&P (just me). The 9mm is totally different, have shot 9mm in Glock 19 didn't like it but have it in a Hi-power and love it.

Follow the advice of the wise men try to get out and shoot as many different types and calibers before throwing down your money.

Precision Delta - The Ammunition of Champions Bullets are almost the same price between 40 and 45. Besides with a 45 lead is an option and quite a bit less.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    I would chose the .40 over .45 for a carry weapon. Because in the guns I own, I get more capacity. And, in the tests I've seen with the two in standard ball ammo, the .40 has a bigger hit. I love them both, but recommend the .40.

Indy Str8-Shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I like both rounds, but if you're buying a compact gun for easier concealment the .40 would probably be the better choice. The .40 is slightly smaller, and considerably lighter loaded(even though it holds more rounds), which is why it has slightly more recoil. Both have excellent stopping power and .40 rounds are considerably less expensive.

live2hunt009

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Never really understood everyone's crying over the 40 being snappy. I'll outshoot most guys with my Glock 23 and their little 9mm. I do like shooting the 45 also tho. My EDC equals a Glock 23.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    buy one of each...i like em all...getting a glock 17 on order now....got a glock 23 and my wife's g19....which a subcompact that i would not call low capacity at 13+1...45 is a bad a round too...the 40 is not a worthless round as someone stated...it is a good all round caliber and it will do the job...my wife only likes 9mm***when the zombies take over then you are going to want to be diversified...i would have got the glock 21 but higher price and the grip is kind of big for my hands...recoil is not a problem with any of them...heck if you like 40 you can pick up a glock 22 for like 370...not worthless at all ..ask a leo...they may be tired of glocks but they do the job..

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    I will say that i had the ruger sr1911 for a time and it was just ungainly and heavy for only having 8 rounds...i think in a firefight you are going to want capacity because no matter how much you practice your accuracy is going to to go down if someone is shooting at you...i liked the 1911 as a collector but from a practical sense i just could not justify it..i trade it for a like new gen 4 g23 + cash and ammo and never looked back..man this kool aid is good

Top Bottom