• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I was looking for a shot gun that would do the trick if someone decides to break into my house without blasting a watermelon sized hole out the side. I was looking at the Verney-Carron Snake Charmer which is a .410 single shot. They are advertised for youths, backpacking and also home defense. I found that Rossi introduced their Tuffy model this year that looks like a clone of the Snake Charmer and it is less money. My question is the Snake Charmer states in their ads that the gun takes mags but I do not see anything in the Rossi ads stating that fact. Been doing the google thing and no luck. Anyone have an answer or do I need to call Rossi? :dunno:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Manufacturer Rossi/Braztech Model Tuffy Action Single Shot Caliber 410 Gauge 3" Barrel Length 18.5" Finish/Color Blue Grips/Stock Synthetic Chamber 3" Positive EjectionSights Bead ... or you can get multiple shots with the Magnum Research BFR in 45LC/410, you can even get a tall barrel rib and chokes for it, so you and the missus can shoot skeet with it. If you miss 5 times, you still have an all-metal gun to beat them with!It is also safe to use if a friend of yours has limp wrists.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Don't worry, I'm covered :<)

A single-shot weapon isn't the best for home defense; even if it's a shotgun.

Thats why I have the six shot .357 mag by the bed. Problem with that is I might end up with a bullet in the next door neighbors bedroom wall. Houses today are 1/2" sheetrock, .040" thick vinyl siding and 4" of spun glass insulation. Not a good backstop. :draw:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    If that is what you are looking for (410) I would go with the Taurus Judge. It shoots a 410 and/or a 45 long colt. Its a revolver so there is no trouble shooting a mis shot just pull again and you have 5 rounds.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/details.php?id=1120

Taurus 4510 Judge Compact Stainless 2.5" Barrel : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

p1191016075.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO0YMPVqw-o"]YouTube - Taurus Judge[/ame]​

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    They are nice guns but>>>>>>>

I've done transfers for several Judges and they are nice revolvers but I am looking for a small low priced quality rifle that I can throw in the trunk and take to places like New York and Illinois. Also can put on the closet shelf just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

If that is what you are looking for (410) I would go with the Taurus Judge. It shoots a 410 and/or a 45 long colt. Its a revolver so there is no trouble shooting a mis shot just pull again and you have 5 rounds.

p1191016075.jpg

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    look at the saiga .410 with a 12round mag with a t6 stock all under $400 buck.Also you can go hunting with it!

I Love it, I call your single shot 410 shotgun and raise you a 410 5 shot revolver!

OH YEAH, I call your 5 shot 410 revolver and Raise you a 410 Detachable Mag Semi-Auto "Assault" Shot Gun !

OH YEAH "ALL IN" THIS WILL TEACH THEM

mushroom-cloud.jpg

Look2thewest

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Evansville
    i wouldnt feel comfortable using a 410 as home defense weapon. i understand you dont want to shoot through walls. But what are you gonna do when you have to break open the shotgun and reloud and the guy is still standing?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The Rossi will take the 3" .410 loads. Give it a try, we can always ask Phillip at Indiana Gun Club if we can try some penetration and pattern tests on the East end.

If it does not feel adequate, we can try a 20 gauge with 9 or 10 shot (very fine shot) and a spreader wad in the front of the shot column. It will cover the entire hall at 15 feet, and the fine shot will never make it to the neighbors.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Love this forum :<)

I Love it, I call your single shot 410 shotgun and raise you a 410 5 shot revolver!
    OH YEAH, I call your 5 shot 410 revolver and Raise you a 410 Detachable Mag Semi-Auto "Assault" Shot Gun !

OH YEAH "ALL IN" THIS WILL TEACH THEM

God I love this site, ask a specific question about ammo and you get people telling you that you bought the wrong gun and need this or that instead but never get to the question; 6birds being the exception as usual and has a helpful post.:rockwoot:

I already own a 12gage shotgun and everything from 45acp down to .22 short in guns; I wanted to purchase a specific firearm in a specific caliber/gage for a specific reason. I’ve owned my own guns for over fifty years and know that a .45 has better stopping power than a .410 shot gun with buckshot. My only question was did the Rossi Tuffy .410 take mags? Are all 3” shells considered mags?
    I appreciate the concern for my safety in the event of a home intruder but trust me I can handle that situation if it arises. :D

The .410 is something I can bring with me into states not recognizing our IN license and this particular shotgun is small and light (3 lbs) and with 3” 000 shot will stop anyone in their tracks. This one breaks down to less than 20” long and will fit in a regular suitcase without taking much room. Four shells store in the stock and the gun sells new at retail for less than $150. :)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    God I love this site, ask a specific question about ammo and you get people telling you that you bought the wrong gun and need this or that instead but never get to the question; 6birds being the exception as usual and has a helpful post.:rockwoot:

Asked and answered.
    The Rossi will take the 3" .410 loads. Give it a try, we can always ask Phillip at Indiana Gun Club if we can try some penetration and pattern tests on the East end.

The .410 is something I can bring with me into states not recognizing our IN license and this particular shotgun is small and light (3 lbs) and with 3” 000 shot will stop anyone in their tracks. This one breaks down to less than 20” long and will fit in a regular suitcase without taking much room. Four shells store in the stock and the gun sells new at retail for less than $150. :)

Sounds like you already made the decision. Go forth and be happy.

/Thread

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Yes and the gun came in yesterday

Sounds like you already made the decision. Go forth and be happy.

/Thread

Back to my first post my question was does the gun take mags, not if it is the right gun for whatever. So can I assume a 3" shell is considered a mag in this case? Thanks for the response. :):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Back to my first post my question was does the gun take mags, not if it is the right gun for whatever. So can I assume a 3" shell is considered a mag in this case? Thanks for the response. :):

Yes- 3" shell = magnum .410 round

I STILL like my Judge!

Also, if you're looking for a "small, single shot" try looking at the Rossi matched pair, or Trifecta. 2 or 3 DIFFERENT calibers in a single shot platform.
    Easy break-down with no tools. Light-weight, accurate enough for hunting if you wish.

You can get a matched pair set for about $200 in a variety of available calibers.

NEF- New England Firearms also has a single-shot "Pardner" shotgun in .410 that is inexpensive and light-weight, and also takes the 3" magnum

DWFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So can I assume a 3" shell is considered a mag in this case? Thanks for the response. :):

Yes. The 3" shell is still referred to as "magnum" even if it really isn't. The actual "magnum" .410 carried a 3/4 oz load of shot and not the present 11/16 oz. These loads were discontinued several years ago.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Just a thought -

Remember, if you're going to use a handgun or a shotgun for home defense, you need practice. Alot of practice. Make sure you get a firearm that 1) you don't mind shooting on a regular basis, 2) ammo is readily available, and 3) that you can hide in a space that is inconspicuous yet readily available.

The taurus Judge is not much fun to shoot - yeah it gives you the option of both shot and lead projectiles, but I see it more as a fad gun, and quite a blaster at that. 12 gauge and 20 gauge shotgun ammo is available from Walmart to any gun shop, range, or shooting club. That would be my choice. And one that has several rounds as well, not just a single shot.

Statistically, both concealed and home defense situations require 3-shots or less. Yeah, its nice to have the extra 13 in the mag to back you up if you need them, but a single shot is inappropriate for this kind of situation.

And as for having that weapon "hidden at arms reach," alot of that is going to depend on your living situation - how your bedroom is set up, do you have children, etc.

No matter what you buy, make sure that you're comfortable with its workings completely, because if the time ever comes that you NEED to use it, you want to make sure you can fire it without thinking about it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The taurus Judge is not much fun to shoot - yeah it gives you the option of both shot and lead projectiles, but I see it more as a fad gun, and quite a blaster at that.

Statistically, both concealed and home defense situations require 3-shots or less.

No matter what you buy, make sure that you're comfortable with its workings completely, because if the time ever comes that you NEED to use it, you want to make sure you can fire it without thinking about it.

Speak for yourself! My Judge is PLENTY fun to shoot!
    If the Judge IS a "fad gun", it is a noteworthy fad. The Judge is one of the fastest selling revolver on the market today, and the fastest selling Taurus handgun.

Judge has 5-shots

+1 on being comfortable with your choice. The LAST thing you want to do in a harried state of mind is to have to "think" about your handgun!
    Just another plus for the Judge. Wheel-guns are reliable, and almost idiot-proof!:yesway:

Top Bottom