• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wait. . I thought they were living in Uranus!!

No, that's the Klingons.

Nope, the clowns live on the seventh planet from the sun.

I'd suggest you read The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress to see why we need a presence on the moon. That's a great shooting platform. If we can pay billions for jets for the airforce, (jets that don't fly well in clouds or are killed by lightning and are 100% over budget) we can afford to send people to the moon to defend the planet and expand our knowledge base. Hopefully private businesses WILL step up and the government won't be necessary, but that's still a way off. It's a program that would pay for itself and would help pave the way for colonisation of the moon, (an important step in preserving our species).

Which jets would those be? Jet engines in general or a particular model of plane?

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned that both the first man to set foot on the moon and the last man to lift his from it were both educated in Indiana .

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    The much touted (by congress, anyway) F-35. It's a piece of junk that even the military don't like. It's become the very definition of boondoggle.

Which is the very reason why the U.S. will never return to the moon. It's hard to go to the moon. Contractors would rather spend our tax trillions designing and building war implements, which only have to LOOK like they're gonna work.

It's much harder to half-a$$ a moon lander without having the world witness it's failure.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The much touted (by congress, anyway) F-35. It's a piece of junk that even the military don't like. It's become the very definition of boondoggle.
    So you're saying the F-35 JSF doesn't fly through clouds? To put it mildly, you're wrong.

I have it on pretty good authority that your characterization of the plane and it's desirability is equally incorrect.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So you're saying the F-35 JSF doesn't fly through clouds? To put it mildly, you're wrong.

I have it on pretty good authority that your characterization of the plane and it's desirability is equally incorrect.

Yeah, I'm sure the joint chiefs gave you a call this morning.

Pentagon?s big budget F-35 fighter ?can?t turn, can?t climb, can?t run?
    The F-35 Can't Run On Warm Gas From A Fuel Truck That Sat In The Sun*
    Inside the Pentagon's Trillion Dollar F-35 Embarrassment
    Biggest Defense Boondoggle Ever, F-35 Fighter Jet, Being Built With Illegal Chinese Parts! - Hit & Run : Reason.com
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...35-fighter-jet-known-as-the-Lightning-II.html

You and congress would be the only people supporting the $1.5 trillion made in China POS.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Kinda curious how one thinks they're going to provide that 'insignificant' little thing called 'air' for people to breathe on the moon? Gonna run a big hose back to the Earth?

The method that works for the space station will not transfer to any settlement on on the moon for any extended time period.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Kinda curious how one thinks they're going to provide that 'insignificant' little thing called 'air' for people to breathe on the moon? Gonna run a big hose back to the Earth?

The method that works for the space station will not transfer to any settlement on on the moon for any extended time period.

There's a whole moons worth of material to process for oxygen and recent probes have seen indicators of water as well.
    plsoom1
    Artemis Project: How to Get Oxygen from the Moon

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Tomorrow is the anniversary of the last men on the moon. Here's their mission. They thought we'd be back.

[video=youtube_share;xSNqBO-jSZM]http://youtu.be/xSNqBO-jSZM[/video]

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    WOW somebody REALLY loves the moon and all it has to offer. Too bad it's only 260,000 miles away. (I know mr knowledge sometimes it's closer sometimes it's further.)

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    WOW somebody REALLY loves the moon and all it has to offer. Too bad it's only 260,000 miles away. (I know mr knowledge sometimes it's closer sometimes it's further.)

Since the beginning of time people have stared up at the heavens and have wanted to know what exists beyond our reach. I don't see why we should not be continually pushing ourselves forward towards new discoveries and better understanding and I think it's important as a nation to remain competitive in this field.

EDIT: And I believe the same for all aspects of science. Explore the oceans, explore humans, continual explore everything and everywhere.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom