• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am going to use my 45-70 to go coyote hunting,I just want to make sure I am thinking this thru.I am shooting a 300 grain RLN BULLET in a 20 inch barrel in a lever action.If I am sighted in at 50yds , I am going to be on target at 200yds. Is this correct? I need some input from somebody that has some experience with the 45-70 round.I have not that much experience with range with this round. PS, I know this is NOT a varmint round , but in kinda a bind.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a very little experience with the .45-70gvt round.
    I have not tried to make a 200 yard shot with this caliber
    I have heard it said, many times, that the .45-70gvt has a trajectory like a rainbow.

YMMV

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I also had a Marlin in 45-70. The 300 or 350 grain bullets drop like a rock Think of it as a big pistol. The 200 yard NRA highpower target was barely holding black at 200, and did not hold all scoring rings at 300 yards/ Mine was a Microgroove barrel and would not shoot my 415 cast bullets at all.

I am pretty sure all the bullet companies have online bullet drop calculators these days. You will generally need muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient of the bullet for the calculations. If I were to guess, a 50 yard zero will probably be close to a foot drop at 200 yards.

Keep it inside of 150 yards and have fun.

Last edited:

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Lever action use a 405 LNFP. The bullet will not act like a 5.56. Shooting a 300 gr is just a big .45 Colt. I can't tell you how much high over target you hold. I hold on at 100 yards, I move my tang sight each time I want to change the distance. If you are not reloading you can get some Horaday levelation (sp) will get you to 200 yards.

If your bullet is not flat nosed you can have a round go off in the magazine tube which will make for a bad day.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Where did you get that info? It sounds like you're trying to apply general .223 ballistics information to a .45-70.

Typically, a .223 at around 3000fps out of an AR that's zeroed at 50 yards will have a "far zero" at roughly 200 yards. That takes into account the sight offset and the ballistic coefficient of your typical 55gr .223 bullet.

The .45-70 is a totally different critter. It's slower and shooting a much heavier and ballistically inferior bullet. I put some info into the online Hornady ballistics calculator for a 300 grain .458 ballistic-tip bullet with a ballistic coefficient of 0.25 at 2060fps (numbers taken from commercial load data on the internet...I load .45-70, but not 300gr bullets). With a 50 yard zero it says you'll be 14.4" low at 200 yards. I'd suggest getting the actual data from your load (preferably chronographed out of your gun) and entering it in there yourself, then go confirm it on the range before you make the effort to actually go hunt with it. Unless you're calling them in real close, you're going to have to compensate for a lot of drop with that round.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Given your desire to try this and the question itself, I encourage you to drop this idea or get some good training with rifles.

If you want to pursue this on your own, then please have ample space and know what’s beyond your target.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    No personal experience with 45-70 specifically but 50/200 is not sufficient understanding for shooting at coyotes. At only 2000ish fps you are going to be seeing a much more significant rainbow trajectory than 5.56 or .308, which are calibers the 50/200 rule roughly works for. It's gonna pop up high after 50 and drop low after 200 easily enough to miss a coyote. You either need to get some experience shooting at multiple distances or limit yourself to shooting at targets within about 75 yards.

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    I've been shooting 45-70 Govt for Years, thru a Wide variety of weapons including but certainly not limited to the Marlin 1895 & at Distances out to 350yds.
    If you're "Zero'd @ 50yds" you are Not going to be On Target @ 200yds.
    As has been stated here, that 300g round is gonna Drop Significantly @ 200yds (12"+)
    Not sure what you're referring to as "In a Bind"; however, if you're looking to take Yotes @ 200yds, I'd strongly recommend looking at a Different caliber.
    JMO

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'm more interested in the "in a bind...."

If you need help, there's a lot of us here who would help, and probably bring an extra for you to use.

Back on point:

45-70 will have more than a foot drop at 200 yards. If you have a scope, you might want to figure out your clicks and drop prior to hunting.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm waiting to see a yote while I carry one of my Gubmints. Large holes in totes make me smile.
    :lmfao:Tens of thousands of dead chickens at 200 yds with 45-70's around this rock. I always giggle when folks say its inaccurate, have never spent a weekend at Friendship, or any BPCR Match across America.
    Shoot your 45-70 and have fun.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Im not sure why people can not find the reply button, seems to happen with lower post count people.. instead they go to DM.

I got a DM from the OP of the following

"Thats the point,with milder winters they are reproducing fast in farm country,killing fawns pretty fast,nobody is after them that much,do have to slow that down.I hunt a farm bordering a river that they use to travel.Probably should sell 45-70 to get a 223 or a 220 Swift."

Sounds like he just wants em dead with what he has on hand. Which 45-70 will do.. once you figure out the moonshot ballistics.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    once you figure out the moonshot ballistics.

I have always found that the projectile re-entering the earths atmosphere reduces the weight of the projectile in an unpredictable loss, making calculations difficult...
    Maf is hard, but for some reason they had it worked out on a range on Long Island in 1873.
    Did TI make calculators then?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This article may help, it contains a ballistics graph for a 200 yard zero and shows, as expected, you need to be high at 50 yds to achieve that. Unfortunately the graph lacks the resolution to do more than guesstimate how high to be at 5o but it will get you started hopefully

straight-shooting-advice_inset4.jpg

Making a rough estimate with calipers, I would say a good starting point would be 4 inches high at 50 yards, but without the ability to actually shoot 200 yds you won't be able to fine tune it or estimate a group size to relate to kill circle

I also looked at five commercial 300 grain load velocities:
    The Barnes 300gr TTSX retains about 62% of its muzzle velocity at 200

The Winchester 300gr polymer tip retains 66% of its muzzle velocity at 200

The Remington 300 gr SJHP retains 69% of its muzzle velocity

The Federal power shock 300gr JSP retains 76% of its muzzle velocity, and

The Federal fusion 300gr SP also retains 76% of its muzzle velocity

If it were me, I would go with either of the Federal loads, not because of a desire to retain energy at impact, any 300 gr will be plenty for a 'yote, but to get the best ballistic profile for distance shooting

Top Bottom