• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Im not sure why people can not find the reply button, seems to happen with lower post count people.. instead they go to DM.

I got a DM from the OP of the following

"Thats the point,with milder winters they are reproducing fast in farm country,killing fawns pretty fast,nobody is after them that much,do have to slow that down.I hunt a farm bordering a river that they use to travel.Probably should sell 45-70 to get a 223 or a 220 Swift."

Sounds like he just wants em dead with what he has on hand. Which 45-70 will do.. once you figure out the moonshot ballistics.
    I am getting replies with 45-70,think I will go to my 22mag rifle and stay at 75yds,sounds more easily doable.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Hope this helps: The trapdoor was base sighted at 200 yards meaning if you pick up a rifle and naturally align the sights you will be close to mom (minute of man) at 200. For the trapdoors to be used after the war against northern aggression most people had the front sight post/blade raised for use at approximately 90/100 yards. If the blade was further raised for sighting at 50 yards, and you were to use that sight picture at 200, the dirt you threw up wouldn't even be in your sight picture.

So, the question is how to get a short barreled rifle sighted in at 50y to shoot 200y? The hold over would make it impossible to see the target at which you were shooting. The easy answer would be a non-adultered trapdoor and prayer. (An emphasis on prayer.) The problem is after pulling the trigger once everyone else will have to relocate to another couple zip codes away to find anything but deaf yotes and you, on the other hand, would not be invited.

The best you could hope for is 1) yotes have a better means of communication than we think and the tell all their buddies to stay away from the Howitzer proving grounds, 2) a laughing yote cannot eat with it's mouth open like that. Either way the only fatalities will be for your shooting friendships and possibly a couple of yotes that had too large a funny bone.

I love the 45/70 but it isn't a yote gun...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am going to use my 45-70 to go coyote hunting,I just want to make sure I am thinking this thru.I am shooting a 300 grain RLN BULLET in a 20 inch barrel in a lever action.If I am sighted in at 50yds , I am going to be on target at 200yds. Is this correct? I need some input from somebody that has some experience with the 45-70 round.I have not that much experience with range with this round. PS, I know this is NOT a varmint round , but in kinda a bind.
    Do you know the actual velocity of this load out of your rifle? That will be the biggest help to find the proper ballistics for it.

Top Bottom