• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prtrrssll

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    RRA 458 Socom

Cant wait to shoot and sight this 458 Socom in this weekend,Hope it lives upto what ive heard about it .

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    grunt soldier has one in the classifieds right now for a fair price. it might be a little late to get it ready in a few days but if you have or can get ammo you can get it ready by saturday

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id love to build a new deer gun. i was leaning toward a 358idc but i want to wait and see what all they end up allowing. id hate to build somthing and have them change the rules and allow a better option

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If the proposed changes do go into effect for next year the 450 Bushmaster will be legal!!! this is what I will use:D

Its my understanding that the proposal has NOT been adopted for next year, there was a lot of negative feedback and I think they have delayed any implementation. I may be wrong. I seem to recall a link to the DNR website announcement stating that they are not making changes.

Does anyone have any information on if they have approved the wording to allow cartridges up to 1.8" long?

Last edited:

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Under current regulations, I believe the 357 maximum to be the best option. Just picked up a TC Pro Hunter frame and will put on a TC custom shop barrel in 357 max that was on clearance at Midway!

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    id love to build a new deer gun. i was leaning toward a 358idc but i want to wait and see what all they end up allowing. id hate to build somthing and have them change the rules and allow a better option

That is exactly what I am waiting for. (if they pass the 1.8" length)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    I'm favoring the 450 Bushmaster BUT!!!!!!, I'm going to see how availability of bullets becomes here in the next few months, and I want to see if the "Braintrust" at IDNR is going to change any of their rules, again. It's an awfully sweet gun, and I think it would be the ultimate type of firearm to hunt deer with in Indiana. If a 458 Socom presents itself to me, hmmmm, I might pick that up.:yesway:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    I'm favoring the 450 Bushmaster BUT!!!!!!, I'm going to see how availability of bullets becomes here in the next few months, and I want to see if the "Braintrust" at IDNR is going to change any of their rules, again. It's an awfully sweet gun, and I think it would be the ultimate type of firearm to hunt deer with in Indiana. If a 458 Socom presents itself to me, hmmmm, I might pick that up.:yesway:

My hesitancy with the .450 Bushmaster stems from the fact that it uses handgun bullets (.452", which is the same as the .45 ACP). The .458 SOCOM, on the other hand, uses rifle bullets (.458", same as .45-70.) I just feel that handgun bullets aren't designed for the velocities encountered when fired from the .450 Bushmaster.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My hesitancy with the .450 Bushmaster stems from the fact that it uses handgun bullets (.452", which is the same as the .45 ACP). The .458 SOCOM, on the other hand, uses rifle bullets (.458", same as .45-70.) I just feel that handgun bullets aren't designed for the velocities encountered when fired from the .450 Bushmaster.

This is also my main problem with the 450 Bushy. The bullets are generally much lighter construction and there are far fewer weight choices with the Bushy. I'm not saying its bad, its not. But the 458 SOCOM allows for 100 grain aluminum hollow points up to 720grain hardcast lead with gas checks. That is a tremendous range of bullet weights and bullet construction types that is unmatched by anything else I can find. So that said, in my choice between the two round, I favor the flexibility of the 458 SOCOM over the 450 Bushmaster.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA

Thanks for the input!!:yesway:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan

This is true, but it's also the same bullet that the .460 mag shoots, and it's pretty impressive out of that platform. I agree that the .458 has alot more options for the handloader but since Remington and Hornady has ammo for the bushy it seems it "should" become more available. I'm not disagreeing with you, just giving my:twocents:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I took the plunge and ordered two of the Rock River mid-length .458 SOCOM uppers for my son and I to use next year. I am looking forward to scoping them up and trying them out. Thanks for the info that convinced me that I "needed" another new gun and caliber in my inventory.

hunter_47443

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Greene Co.
    You are making the assumption that anyone who carries an AR15 with 458 rounds will be taking a lot of shots at deer. I claim you are making that assumption because your statement about shotgun hunters emptying their guns at running deer implies such. What you seem to totally ignore is the fact that the 458 Socom allows hunters to place a shot more accurately than a slug gun will allow and that alone should lead to more one shot kills.

I chose a 458 Socom because it gives me more flexibility to use my AR15 and am glad to have done it. But yet again you have taken a misguided assumption with your "magazine capacity" statement. Why would I use a 30 round magazine stuffed with 10 rounds? That is a bad assumption to start with. A 20 round magazine will hold less and a 10 round magazine (the magazines I tend to use) only hold 4 rounds. But honestly all of what you seem to IMPLY is based on ASSUMPTIONS that are not necessarily true.

• Realize the AR15 with a 458 SOCOM upper is shorter and easier to carry in the field than a typical Remington 870 or 11-87 slug gun.
    • Realize the AR15 with a 458 SOCOM upper has far better ergonomics for shooting and that makes it easier to put a shot on target.
    • Realize the AR15 with a 458 SOCOM upper fires a more accurate rifle round than a 12 gauge slug, again making it easier to put a shot on target.
    • Realize the AR15 with a 458 SOCOM upper extends the practical range of deer hunting in Indiana and allows for ethical deer harvests out to about 225 yards with accurate 1 shot kills.
    • Realize that there is no reason to believe, and no evidence to support, your assumptions that a typical AR15 hunter with a 458 SOCOM upper will be blasting away at deer.
    My 458 SOCOM rifle, and honestly I pretty much resent some of the assumptions you make and state about people who choose to build 458 SOCOM based hunting guns.

P1080217.jpg

P1080212.jpg

The above photos are proof that the 458 Socom is not moot.

And there you go. Accuracy confirmed.

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.....used mine the last two days & love it!

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Shot my 458 socom for the first time this weekend. Sighted it in on Friday night and shot a little spike buck opening morning.

Lots of people told me it kicked like a 20 gauge shotgun. I have hunted with a 20 gauge remington 1100 for years adn it kicks way more than that. I feel that it kicks more than just about any gun i have shot. This would include 12 gauge shotguns, 10 gauge shotguns, lightweight 300 win mag hunting guns and many others.

It's a great gun but you better be ready for the kick.

Top Bottom