• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BGFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    3020 S.Emerson Ave.
    I've been approached about carrying the ar-15 .458 socom upper to use for deer hunting.I've been told of its awesome power and range for deer hunting but I'm still curious if deer hunters would be interested in seeing/using the ar-15 in the woods. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.Thanks GREG....

USAShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Well it is legal to hunt with here in Indiana. I think I might go to that..Anyone know the price on the upper

BGFirearms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    3020 S.Emerson Ave.
    Well I cant say this is from my own experience but the guys that have told me they are using it,said they are using a 300 grain bullet at 1900fps and confident of taking a deer at 200 yards with it.Far as the price on the upper, I can tell ya "ashlarry" is pretty accurate.Thanks Greg...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't mean to go "Zumbo" here, but just because you can, does that mean you should? Maybe the higher cost of this setup will keep the inexperienced hunters away? I can't tell you how many times I've heard shotguns emptied, from "hunters" shooting at deer, then obviously, at frantically running deer. How many rounds do the Socom mags hold?

turkeykiller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    lafayette
    I've been approached about carrying the ar-15 .458 socom upper to use for deer hunting.I've been told of its awesome power and range for deer hunting but I'm still curious if deer hunters would be interested in seeing/using the ar-15 in the woods. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.Thanks GREG....

If its legal who cares what we think, its your personal choice. Just post the pictures when you harvest one! :thumbsup:

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Don't mean to go "Zumbo" here, but just because you can, does that mean you should? Maybe the higher cost of this setup will keep the inexperienced hunters away? I can't tell you how many times I've heard shotguns emptied, from "hunters" shooting at deer, then obviously, at frantically running deer. How many rounds do the Socom mags hold?

I know what you are trying to say (dummies out their just trying to gun down their prey instead of trying to get a clean kill), but honestly, why not an AR-15 based deer gun? It is a modular and easily adaptable to the shooter and the task at hand and there are a gazillion parts out there for it. I think Dick Metcalf said it best when talking about hunting with ARs. He mentioned that the lever action became the deer gun of choice post-Civil War and the bolt action post-WWII. The AR is just continuing the trend of our service rifles becoming great hunting rifles.

It has an added benefit of the fact that many people already have an AR-15 of some sort, so just an upper swap and they can legally hunt deer with a rifle they are very familiar with.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I know what you are trying to say (dummies out their just trying to gun down their prey instead of trying to get a clean kill), but honestly, why not an AR-15 based deer gun? It is a modular and easily adaptable to the shooter and the task at hand and there are a gazillion parts out there for it. I think Dick Metcalf said it best when talking about hunting with ARs. He mentioned that the lever action became the deer gun of choice post-Civil War and the bolt action post-WWII. The AR is just continuing the trend of our service rifles becoming great hunting rifles.

It has an added benefit of the fact that many people already have an AR-15 of some sort, so just an upper swap and they can legally hunt deer with a rifle they are very familiar with.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and all the reasons stated. Just trying to look at the whole picture. Also trying to be cautionary to those that would start deer hunting for another means of using their AR.

It is easy to fall into the "magazine capacity solves all problems" school of thought. I have watched it happen to seasoned hunters, even friends. The park hunts are a perfect example. Guys who normally hunt firearms seasons with a muzzleloader, thinking they had to bring the shotgun to shoot at the running deer.

DammDoggs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Don't mean to hijack

Since Marty's site is down (458socomforums).. and has been down for some time. We've decided to start another forum dedicated to the 458 SOCOM platform. There is not much there yet, but there is some load data, and other misc stuff. This is a free to register VB forum, and the more 458S users we can get, the better our forum will be.

The forum is www.the458socom.com

This forum piggy backs on our local offroad forum (Usually guns and wheeling go hand in hand) which is why we made that decision. If we can get enough traffic and interest, we will start a new, dedicated forum, exclusively to 458 Users.

Thanks guys, hope that wasn't too much site pimping...

Top Bottom