• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I presume you're happy with the Ram then? Seems like they are a bit less expensive than the other brands I'm looking at for comparable option packages. I'm not sure what to make of that observation.

I'm quite happy with my '12 Ram as well.

Get the 4wd. Other than a little gas mileage there's no down side to it. I've never sat in a truck and thought "Gosh, I wish this was 2wd". I've never said "this would be easier if this truck was 2wd". Etc.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    All good points. Thanks everyone. I have driven RWD in the snow for some time and have no issues with that. I'll expand my search to include Dodge and look at 4x4 options a bit more closely.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I think the 5 years I drove my Jeep, I only had to use 4wd once... and that was because I was screwing around and fish-tailed off the road in the snow. There were a few other times I used it because it was available, but not really necessary.

I definitely enjoyed it on trails, but that was part of why I bought a Jeep in the first place.

My next vehicle will be a full sized pickup, and unless I run across a crazy deal, it will likely be 2wd... and I live out where snow removal can be iffy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the 5 years I drove my Jeep, I only had to use 4wd once... and that was because I was screwing around and fish-tailed off the road in the snow. There were a few other times I used it because it was available, but not really necessary.

I definitely enjoyed it on trails, but that was part of why I bought a Jeep in the first place.

My next vehicle will be a full sized pickup, and unless I run across a crazy deal, it will likely be 2wd... and I live out where snow removal can be iffy.

You need to come and drive my truck in the snow before you jump on the 2WD train. Just saying.
    Yes I can get around if I am careful but it does get loose real easy. Yes it is a R-Trac. Not much over the tail. 4WA is a sweet deal. It only engages when the wheel speed sensors are not tracking. Not a drag on the MPG unless the streets seriously suck. This year they sucked a bit. Just so much easier to get around.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You need to come and drive my truck in the snow before you jump on the 2WD train. Just saying.
    Yes I can get around if I am careful but it does get loose real easy. Yes it is a R-Trac. Not much over the tail. 4WA is a sweet deal. It only engages when the wheel speed sensors are not tracking. Not a drag on the MPG unless the streets seriously suck. This year they sucked a bit. Just so much easier to get around.

I’ve had 3 pickups. All 2wd. Softener salt in the bed and taking it easy has served me well. I’m not opposed to 4wd, I just don’t think it’s essential unless you need to go off road or down a boat ramp frequently.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes I can get around if I am careful but it does get loose real easy.

Yes, especially if you aren't going to weight it down. Or it's really hilly. Or it's slick and you need to pull a family member's car back up on the road.

You *can* get around in a 2WD truck usually. Sometimes things are unusual. To me, the few times I use it, it's worth the extra safety, the missed hassles, etc.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I live out in the country and I've had 2wd and 4wd trucks. I'll always have a 4wd from here on out. Yeah, you can usually get along without 4wd but it's awfully handy when you need it. When there's snow on the roads, my truck is the go=to vehicle for getting into town and back. It just handles the snow covered roads better, in my opinion. It's handy when you're going across damp/wet/grassy yards/fields too. Unless it's just a deal breaker, I'm going 4wd.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    You will gain back on resell, no way I would own a 2wd in Indiana. Just get a 4wd and be done with it.

This right here is absolutely true.

A 4X4truck will be worth so much more than a 2wd truck when you are done with it. As the owner of several pick-up trucks you will be grateful you bought a 4X4 in the winter. Skip the bags of sand and snow tires, buy a 4X4 and your good to go.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've been driving 2wd exclusively out on construction sites. Some pretty rough conditions, but no major mud. Handled it fine.

I've never had a problem with an Indiana winter except the crazy ice storm a few years back...but 4wd wouldn't help you then either.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I live out in the country and I've had 2wd and 4wd trucks. I'll always have a 4wd from here on out. Yeah, you can usually get along without 4wd but it's awfully handy when you need it. When there's snow on the roads, my truck is the go=to vehicle for getting into town and back. It just handles the snow covered roads better, in my opinion. It's handy when you're going across damp/wet/grassy yards/fields too. Unless it's just a deal breaker, I'm going 4wd.
    Same here. First truck I had was 2wd, eventually I got where I was going. Ever since, 4wd all the way. It's just easier. I'm to old to push or shovel.

Chez, you live in the sticks now. It's not a matter of, if, it's just when, you'll get stuck. Once you get stuck, you'll get a 4wd, you won't go back to a 2wd.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve had 3 pickups. All 2wd. Softener salt in the bed and taking it easy has served me well. I’m not opposed to 4wd, I just don’t think it’s essential unless you need to go off road or down a boat ramp frequently.

Your call of course but I do like the convenience of not having any or at least fewer head aches.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I've been driving 2wd exclusively out on construction sites. Some pretty rough conditions, but no major mud. Handled it fine.

I've never had a problem with an Indiana winter except the crazy ice storm a few years back...but 4wd wouldn't help you then either.
    It's a work truck, if you get stuck, you get paid to wait on a wrecker that someone else pays for. You are the only one on here that needs 2wd. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I live out in the country and I've had 2wd and 4wd trucks. I'll always have a 4wd from here on out.

When I lived out in the hills, 4wd was mandatory if you didn't want to be trapped. There were slopes you weren't getting up without it. Especially after the snow and ice got polished by folks taking a run at it, spinning their tires, and buffing the ice. You'd also occasionally have a snow storm bring a tree down across the road. You could either be stuck until the county came and cut it, or you could chainsaw it and drag it off to the side yourself. There was no detour, the road dead-ended in a man-made lake the other direction. Even once you got to the first intersection where you had a choice of which road to take, it'd add half an hour to your trip to go left instead of right.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I too live in the sticks.I sometimes am cutting the trail before the plow trucks are on the highways.I get alot of Lake Michigan effect,and sometimes the truck has stayed locked for weeks at a time.The wife has one too,and I do not worry about her on bad days.I would have a 2wd beater,but as a hunt,fish,firewood work truck,only a 4wd.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The wife drives a Avalanche Z71 and I drive a Rav4 both have 4wd the only difference is with the wife's I push a button to get started and then I put it back into 2wd. With the Rav4 I never worry about it the darned thing just goes. I live in BFE and if we get good snow and winds you are waiting until the plow comes through unless you go across a field.

Top Bottom