• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Chez, you live in the sticks now. It's not a matter of, if, it's just when, you'll get stuck. Once you get stuck, you'll get a 4wd, you won't go back to a 2wd.

The wife grew up on a farm 5 min from where we live now. She drove a Taurus and cavalier through high school and college and never got stuck. If we do manage to, the FIL is 5 minutes away with a big diesel dodge or John Deere. :)

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    The wife grew up on a farm 5 min from where we live now. She drove a Taurus and cavalier through high school and college and never got stuck. If we do manage to, the FIL is 5 minutes away with a bit diesel dodge or John Deere. :)

John Deere when everything else is going nowhere. :rockwoot:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I’ve had 3 pickups. All 2wd. Softener salt in the bed and taking it easy has served me well. I’m not opposed to 4wd, I just don’t think it’s essential unless you need to go off road or down a boat ramp frequently.

You had a jeep and only used the 4x4 once? Sad man sad lol.
    You should have forced yourself to use it more

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You had a jeep and only used the 4x4 once? Sad man sad lol.
    You should have forced yourself to use it more

No. Only “had” to use it once... during daily driving. I used it a lot to play off-road or on trails. And to climb those big snow piles the plows leave in parking lots. :)

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    ...I won't be using this vehicle hard because I don't have reason to, just for general homeowner type shenanigans....

You didn't really say if this truck will be a daily driver or just a "project hauler". If it is to be a daily driver then I would go 4x4, but for just an extra vehicle to do the occasional hauling then 2WD. Also, if one lives in town 2WD just might be OK, but for getting into town in rough weather once again 4x4 sure makes the back road driving much easier.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    The 2wd praisers have their own experiences but I guarantee they haven't ran into the situations some of the rest of us have. Sooner or later you will be stuck needing help, unable to accelerate up a hill or sitting in the driveway being limited by the weather.

I noticed you didn't mention the F150. Any reason why?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Coming to north Indiana the wife said the work vehicle had to be a four wheel drive.
    She shouldn't have to worry so OK, that's what I got.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Rural life all my life. Never owned a 4wd truck. Haven’t had a need in almost 39 years I don’t see that changing. 2wd gets better fuel econoy, has less moving parts and are just as capable of doing truck things as a 4wd. We’ve had our 06 Sierra crew cab since new in 06. Dads had an 03 Silverado since 05. Both have been fantastic trucks. Mines towed 5k lbs half way across the country multiple times. It’s our preferred go to vehicle in the snow. I did upgrade to a lsd 2 years ago. Made it sooooo much more fun in the winter than the peg legged version.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rural life all my life. Never owned a 4wd truck. Haven’t had a need in almost 39 years I don’t see that changing. 2wd gets better fuel econoy, has less moving parts and are just as capable of doing truck things as a 4wd. We’ve had our 06 Sierra crew cab since new in 06. Dads had an 03 Silverado since 05. Both have been fantastic trucks. Mines towed 5k lbs half way across the country multiple times. It’s our preferred go to vehicle in the snow. I did upgrade to a lsd 2 years ago. Made it sooooo much more fun in the winter than the peg legged version.

I always take the G-daughters out in the snow for Donuts and not the kind you eat either. They love it. Especially in the van. They set on the back couch And laugh uncontrollably when I put it into a big slide with a loop at the end. P-trac is fun if used properly...:):

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    In a previous life I had a Chevy Avalanche. It was basically a 4 door pickup on a Suburban chassis. Very tight since there was not a gap between the cab and bed. I'll agree with what others have said about 4x4. Re-sell value, if you need it and don't have it you'll wish you did, etc. 4x4 does help on ice. For me the Avalanche was a swiss army knife of trucks. 5.3l, 4 door, lockable bed area with factory covers, lockable tool boxes in the wheel well areas, you could load 4x8 sheets of whatever and lock it up with the back seat down.

When I go back to needing a truck, I'll definitely get the Avalanche again. We lift in the hinterlands though.

YMMV.

:ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In a previous life I had a Chevy Avalanche. It was basically a 4 door pickup on a Suburban chassis. Very tight since there was not a gap between the cab and bed. I'll agree with what others have said about 4x4. Re-sell value, if you need it and don't have it you'll wish you did, etc. 4x4 does help on ice. For me the Avalanche was a swiss army knife of trucks. 5.3l, 4 door, lockable bed area with factory covers, lockable tool boxes in the wheel well areas, you could load 4x8 sheets of whatever and lock it up with the back seat down.

When I go back to needing a truck, I'll definitely get the Avalanche again. We lift in the hinterlands though.

YMMV.

:ingo:

We were with out w truck for a couple of years ant it seriously sucked. If you do anything at all how do you survive without one.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    The 2wd praisers have their own experiences but I guarantee they haven't ran into the situations some of the rest of us have. Sooner or later you will be stuck needing help, unable to accelerate up a hill or sitting in the driveway being limited by the weather.

I noticed you didn't mention the F150. Any reason why?

40' + long school bus rear wheel drive on ice. Stopping for rr tracks, spinning rear wheels to where the rear end wants to pull to one side or tge other (towards a ditch on a slight hill)but not go forward... Loaded with about 50 kids. Ice on neighborhood streets made it great to start on... Ummm fall creek parkway just north of boyscout rd in ice and snow. If i can do it in a bus with the stress of other peoples kids and not get stuck or worse i can do without 4x4.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    This thread partially thanks to myself is becoming a "why the 1911 is better than glocks and everything else thread".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This thread partially thanks to myself is becoming a "why the 1911 is better than glocks and everything else thread".

If you want the stress then most cool. Think with me for a second. If you want the stresses involved then yes, get a RWD truck. I "Choose" not to deal with the added stress of navigating crap streets without 4WD. Personal choice. As to your experiences I have put untold miles on winter roads in a RWD van (service truck) for near 50 years. I got through areas many did not want to go. But it came with its own stress . Running from home to Peoria Illinois at 4:00 A.M. in the dark and near blinding snow storm. Truck fishtailing all the way. Louisville, Dayton, Ft Wayne and on and on. Yes I made it. But for my personal rig I will have the 4WD every time. We (son and I) pulled our enclosed trailer (Loaded) to Tulsa OK in a snow storm that had us in 4WD from the Ind. State line all the rest of the way to Tulsa. In sometimes 2 ft of snow. And coming back it was worse. We made it without issues other than dealing with the weather. Without the option we would not have made the trip.

I have friends that get argumentative about the option but when I pin them down it all boils down to costs. Period. MPG and initial expenses. Maint etc. All around costs. It is akin to running a 9mm over a .45 ACP. Say what you will but it is most likely cost. Choose your poison.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Once you have needed 4x, you will never again go without one.
    To me it's like your carry gun. Better to have it and not need it.

I live close to klipsch music center. After a good rain, there are hundreds of 2wd trucks stuck in the grass parking lot. I've made a decent chunk of change on Sunday morning s yanking those people out of the 2 inches of mud after concerts. Point being, you never know when you will need it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I have friends that get argumentative about the option but when I pin them down it all boils down to costs. Period. MPG and initial expenses. Maint etc. All around costs. It is akin to running a 9mm over a .45 ACP. Say what you will but it is most likely cost. Choose your poison.

I agree with Mr. Mouse. You COULD cut your lawn with a pair of scissors. It would save you a lot of money. But why choose the harder path? I have a little experience driving RWD police cars in crappy conditions at higher than normal speeds. I’ll take 4x4 in my personal vehicle, please. Everyone has different expectations and needs, but one of my criteria for a truck is to get through rough terrain when needed.

Top Bottom