50 post minimum or buy into classifieds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is your opinion on the privilege of classifieds access?

• Total voters

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    :popcorn: Got a question for y'all. From what I understand, to participate in the INGO classifieds you have to either have 50 "quality" posts or become a site supporter.
    In the short time I have been an INGO member I have been very impressed by the knowledge and attitudes of many of my fellow members and have developed a great deal of respect for this site and its members. I also see that I am but a drop in a flood of new members since this most recent gun control fiasco.
    I have become a site supporter because of this and not to gain early access to the classifieds. Even though I could participate in the classifieds now, I am going to hold off until I contribute at least 50 "quality" posts out of respect for the long time members. When I do participate in the classifieds, I will do so for even trades and no-profit transactions. My father pounded the Golden Rule into my head, so I do my best to follow it.
    I'm not trying to preach. I try to respect the opinions of others even if they oppose mine as long as you return the favor. :twocents:
    So finally here is my question. Do you prefer members to contribute at least 50 "quality" posts before getting in the classifieds or do you feel that becoming a site supporter is worthy enough of getting the privilege?

*amendment*
    I'm still not clear on this but I believe I need to add a third option to the poll. Not sure how to officially do this but here you go.
    Option #3
    bacon-gun2.jpg

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I prefer to do business with people of whom I can get a sense of who they are. Part of that is by reading some of their posts. When I have a buyer or seller with whom I am unfamiliar and who only has a small number of posts, I go back and read through them to get a sense of their character. I have chosen to not do business with, or felt more confident with someone based on their posts.

And though I always am firm on my prices when I am selling, I often give a little better price (unasked) to a buyer who has a long history and for whom I have a lot of respect.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :popcorn: Got a question for y'all. From what I understand, to participate in the INGO classifieds you have to either have 50 "quality" posts or become a site supporter.
    In the short time I have been an INGO member I have been very impressed by the knowledge and attitudes of many of my fellow members and have developed a great deal of respect for this site and its members. I also see that I am but a drop in a flood of new members since this most recent gun control fiasco.
    I have become a site supporter because of this and not to gain early access to the classifieds. Even though I could participate in the classifieds now, I am going to hold off until I contribute at least 50 "quality" posts out of respect for the long time members. When I do participate in the classifieds, I will do so for even trades and no-profit transactions. My father pounded the Golden Rule into my head, so I do my best to follow it.
    I'm not trying to preach. I try to respect the opinions of others even if they oppose mine as long as you return the favor. :twocents:
    So finally here is my question. Do you prefer members to contribute at least 50 "quality" posts before getting in the classifieds or do you feel that becoming a site supporter is worthy enough of getting the privilege?

More important than the specific issue or your conclusion is that you are demonstrating that you operate according to the principles in which you believe in a world where personal gratification under any circumstances that offer it has become the prevailing standard. Far too few understand the value of principle.

As for the poll, that would be difficult for me to answer. The purpose for the rule is to prevent people from setting up an account in order to raid our marketplace rather than functioning as a member of the community, and allowing sub-50 post site supporters in is done on the presumption that a spammer isn't going to become a site supporter. Personally, I can see arguments both ways, but have confidence that Fenway has succeeded in his goal of preventing people with no desire to become part of the community from raiding the marketplace as an end in itself.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Or...

You could go with option 3.

Step 1. Find INGO. (check)

Step 2. Join INGO. (check)

Step 3. Post 50 quality posts. (It's easy, I promise)

Step 4. Become addicted to the site.

Step 5. Go update that PayPal account that you never use anymore.

Step 6. Become a site supporter anyway because you like the forum and appreciate the hard work and tough decisions that go into running a forum like this.

I'm working on steps 5 and 6 myself right now.

Oh, and :welcome:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I also look back at previous posts of those that I have an intention of buying/selling/trading with to see how comfortable I feel about it. Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily not do business with someone that has less than 50 posts, but is a supporter, but I may try to feel them out if I'm not confident from their previous posts. Having said that, I think you're doing an admirable thing by satisfying both obligations.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    I like the 50 post rule. It allows both older members and newer members to get a feel for one another prior to any classified transactions. I'm new still but I have learned a lot about several members just by posting and following threads. The 50 post should be mandatory. Just my $.02.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    My old boss said the Golden Rule is, HE WHO HAS THE GOLD-MAKES THE RULES.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't have a preference. I just want people to contribute to the betterment of INGO. For some people, that is through good content. For others, it's to help keep the servers running. Both are needed and both are equally important.

Bishop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Waynetown Area
    I am totally on board with the fifty posts rule. Of course I would like to look at the classifieds, not looking for anything in particular. If something strikes my fancy, I might be interested. I will become a site supporter, but am waiting until I hit my fifty. I look at it as a rite of passage of sorts. You need to prove you are a productive member in order to gain the benefits. I wouldn't feel right just buying my way in. Love the site. Will be a lifelong member and hope to contribute when I can.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I look at both post count and actual recent posts if I'm going to deal with anyone.

50 posts mean very little if the user is new and has no real feedback to look back on. I read a person's post history to avoid anything weird. But you don't know a person after 10,000 posts anyways - it just shows they're likely not here to dump junk or rip anyone off.

I've only had one transaction with an INGO'er that just made his 51st post and had zero feedback of any kind and it turned out fine.

I was cautious at first knowing that it could go either way, but in the end the guy turned out to be a stand-up guy. He's made many transactions by now and has 100% + feedback.

There are a lot of real scuzballs in any hobby that buys, sells, and trades things. Gun community is maybe worse than average from what I see lately. But here it looks to be 100x better than other places online. HT and AL just are not worth it at all. I've done deals on both and they turned out fine - but not knowing anything about the seller was bothersome.

Ultimately, personal responsibility and caution prevents each buyer or seller from getting a crap deal.

redgreenrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Decatur county
    bacon?

Bad Poll OP - - NO bacon option.

Check the FAQ's. Bacon option must be included in all polls.
    Please amend your poll to reflect this rule.
    Thank you for your cooperation.
    :dunno:
    Ok, I searched the FAQ section and found no mention of bacon. Call me ignorant, but could you please explain this concept to me?

I'm also not sure how to ammend a poll.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    :dunno:
    Ok, I searched the FAQ section and found no mention of bacon. Call me ignorant, but could you please explain this concept to me?

I'm also not sure how to ammend a poll.

I believe the answer is in the 3rd post subsection of the Official INGO FAQ directory listing under FAQ and INGO.
    There might be a reference under sub paragraph 5 of the Terms of Service
    sections relating to but not limited to the FAQ's as set forth previously.
    If you click the link in subsection 7a it should take you directly to the notice
    of terms highlighting the bacon and addendum poll re: bacon option.
    Do NOT click on 7b as that will take you to the remove bacon option thereby violating
    the terms of service you previously agreed to in the INGO FAQ subsection post #4 requirements page.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    50 is good in my opinion. Would want people to recognize me and know I am here to stay and not going to screw someone over and hit the road.

Top Bottom