• ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't think a F-250 SUPERDUTY will be able to get 54 MPG:dunno:
    It won't have to to. The standards are going to be fleet standards. A manufacturer will only have to produce a few models that get that kind of mileage, the rest can be considerably less. Off course to get there they are going to have to relax the CAFE standards and let diesel come to the forefront.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think people tend to forget just how MPG the older compacts really got.

Remember the old Geo Metros? 45+ MPG HWY

How about the old Ford Festivas?

Hell, i had a 92 Saturn SC 5-speed a few years ago... 42MPG HWY with NO SWEAT at all.

You just don't see those numbers anymore without it being a "hybrid"

Don't forget, loads of vehicles in Europe get 50+ mpg without being Hybrids. HOW? Well, it's because they are tiny Turbo Diesel 4 banger compacts. Why aren't they available in the US? Because government mandates on EPA laws arent in sync with tiny diesel motors. Even though the small diesel motors produce little emissions, they can't pass the standards because the standards don't scale well from the large rig design they were made for. It's all a bunch of baloney.

I'd love to see what manufactures could produce WITHOUT government intervention - not the other way around.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'd love to see what manufactures could produce WITHOUT government intervention - not the other way around.

Don't you just love "free markets"?

American Fascism - you can own the company and decide what color the drapes are in your office... anything else, we'll tell YOU how to run 'your' business.

All thanks to the republicans and democrats.

jsunjones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Avon, IN

I agree with this concept and it's what I believe in. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat skeptical they would do it. Oil has too much influence at the top. Ideally consumers should be the motivator which drives manufacturer innovation. And right now it's all out of whack. Just my :twocents:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So, take this for what it is worth, but I have talked to engineers that say gas mileage could be much better than it is but the oil companies research the stuff, put a patent on it and file it deep. Essentially, they don't want people to buy less gas. True? IDK. Over the last few decades we made a hand held computer that would have taken up a whole room not too long ago. Gas efficiency has barely changed over that time. Laws of physics or laws of economics?

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I agree with this concept and it's what I believe in. Unfortunately, I'm somewhat skeptical they would do it. Oil has too much influence at the top. Ideally consumers should be the motivator which drives manufacturer innovation. And right now it's all out of whack. Just my :twocents:

Skeptical who would do what?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So, take this for what it is worth, but I have talked to engineers that say gas mileage could be much better than it is but the oil companies research the stuff, put a patent on it and file it deep. Essentially, they don't want people to buy less gas. True? IDK. Over the last few decades we made a hand held computer that would have taken up a whole room not too long ago. Gas efficiency has barely changed over that time. Laws of physics or laws of economics?

Government is enabling it.

Can you imagine the Wright brothers trying to build a plane with all these stupid agencies we have to contend with today? LOL! Good luck with that.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    I drive an 89 festiva and my best tank ever 59.6 mpg 50 is easy to get and it gets a to b quite nicely. No air bags, no ac, no power anything including the steering. My current drive is 54 miles one way and spent the lst six months 81 miles one way. Everybody laughs at my little car until they figure the money still in my pocket versus the truck they drive. I bought my first truck in 89 and have driven full size 4x4s until I got my fastiva.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I drive an 89 festiva and my best tank ever 59.6 mpg 50 is easy to get and it gets a to b quite nicely. No air bags, no ac, no power anything including the steering. My current drive is 54 miles one way and spent the lst six months 81 miles one way. Everybody laughs at my little car until they figure the money still in my pocket versus the truck they drive. I bought my first truck in 89 and have driven full size 4x4s until I got my fastiva.

Good Point...GUN MONEY!

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Skeptical that the automakers would innovate. Sort of like what ViporJock is saying

In order to improve, American companies don't HAVE to innovate. They already have the technology, it's just NOT available in the US.

For example, in Europe Ford offers a Focus that is Diesel powered and gets 67 MPG. Ford themselves has claimed that they WILL NOT be offering that vehicle in the US because the US is not diesel friendly. (to be fair, they gave that opinion on the basis of both the Government and the Citizens of the US being unfavorable towards diesel vehicles).

My point is, manufactures can already give us something far better than any hybrid or government mandated number. There are other issues at play here than just technology. Government EPA rules, diesel taxes,and etc ARE a part of the problem.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/04/ford-focus-econetic-diesel-2012-specs-photos-europe.php

jsunjones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Avon, IN
    In order to improve, American companies don't HAVE to innovate. They already have the technology, it's just NOT available in the US.

For example, in Europe Ford offers a Focus that is Diesel powered and gets 67 MPG. Ford themselves has claimed that they WILL NOT be offering that vehicle in the US because the US is not diesel friendly. (to be fair, they gave that opinion on the basis of both the Government and the Citizens of the US being unfavorable towards diesel vehicles).

My point is, manufactures can already give us something far better than any hybrid or government mandated number. There are other issues at play here than just technology. Government EPA rules, diesel taxes,and etc ARE a part of the problem.

Ford Focus ECOnetic Diesel to Get 67 MPG (But Only Available in Europe) : TreeHugger

I'm certainly haven't studied all there is to know on this subject and don't claim to have the answers. But one thing I think we can agree on - US consumers are the ones losing.

Top Bottom