• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IMO the govt has no business dictating this. It should be the free market, not the nannystate. Why not make it 1000 mpg? Then we would really cut emissions and save oil. Liberals and their goal of destroying freedom are disgusting. Rant off.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    1) Let the market decide, not the govt.
    2) We can't compare Euro vehicles directly as their testing cycle is different than ours. 67MPG Ford Focus Diesel would be much less here.(Honda Insight on Euro cycle gets 78.4 mpg-us, but "only" 70 mpg-us on the EPA cycle)
    Some manufacturers have resorted to Urea injections into the exhaust to make the emissions meet US standards.
    3) Older cars used to get great fuel economy partly because of significantly reduced weight. My first car,1989 Honda Civic, would avg around 40mpg driving inside the beltway of DC. With all the new safety features, modern cars are starting to use more expensive materials to keep weight in check. Others (I'm looking at you GM and Dodge), just haven't bothered.
    4) We're actually doing better than the EPA numbers show, and that's because the test dictates the numbers have to be the worse "mode" for the vehicle. So if a car has 3 Throttle/Transmission mappings, say Sport, Normal and Eco, the test has to be done in Sport. So the new Civic HF that's listed at 41mpg, will easily beat those numbers if you leave it in Eco.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This law needs to mandate that the Presidential limousine and every other vehicles used to transport our government officials MUST get 54 mpg too.

I'm sick of these hypocrites mandating one standard for us, and exempting themselves from it.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    251591_198538113537415_174675175923709_546674_872621_n.jpg
    So this is what we will be driving in a few years.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There is one very simple reason that old cars get better fuel economy. Weight is one reason, but NOx emissions is the biggy.

When you run hot and lean, and get great fuel economy, you make a LOT of NOx emissions.

The 2011 NOx requirements are .07 g/mi for what the EPA calls "light duty" vehicles.

In 1984 the Cali requirement was 1.2 g/mi.

The projected requirements are lower, I'm sure.

What that means is that you have to burn your gasoline cooler at lower pressures. That reduces fuel economy and efficiency.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    No self respecting American male wants to drive a 3 cylinder 1.2 liter diesel with a "turbo" the size of a tea saucer.

The Euro-Fiesta is something like 1.5 liters, and makes less than 90 horsepower at the flywheel. Good luck safely merging onto ANY American interstate with that flintstone mobile.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    With the price of gas now, why wait? By then, gas will be $15 a gallon.
    The better mileage that American cars get, the higher the price of gas goes to make up for the loss of volume.
    When I was a teenager the average cars got 8-13 MPG.
    Gas was $.48 a gallon.
    Todays cars get anywhere from 22-42 MPG.
    Gas is $3.65 a gallon.
    The Oil Companies are going to keep the same, or higher, profit margin regardless of the mileage rates.
    They will raise the price every time the mileage rates go up.
    That's been their Operating Plan since day one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This law needs to mandate that the Presidential limousine and every other vehicles used to transport our government officials MUST get 54 mpg too.

I'm sick of these hypocrites mandating one standard for us, and exempting themselves from it.

Yeah, cause it would be totally bada$$ to have a mini-gun mounted in limo :rockwoot:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The better mileage that American cars get, the higher the price of gas goes to make up for the loss of volume.
    Gas was $.48 a gallon.
    Gas is $3.65 a gallon.
    The Oil Companies are going to keep the same, or higher, profit margin regardless of the mileage rates.

Some times, I hate when you are right.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Gas was $.48 a gallon.
    Gas is $3.65 a gallon.
    Thanks!:yesway:

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Barack Hussein will be long gone by then (with any luck, he'll still be in a federal prison by then) and the GOP will hopefully have eliminated the EPA, DOE, and repealed this nonsense.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Gas was $.48 a gallon.
    Gas is $3.65 a gallon.
    I think the last time gas was $.48 a gallon, people were driving the FORD MODEL T:D

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    There is one very simple reason that old cars get better fuel economy. Weight is one reason, but NOx emissions is the biggy.

When you run hot and lean, and get great fuel economy, you make a LOT of NOx emissions.

The 2011 NOx requirements are .07 g/mi for what the EPA calls "light duty" vehicles.

In 1984 the Cali requirement was 1.2 g/mi.

The projected requirements are lower, I'm sure.

What that means is that you have to burn your gasoline cooler at lower pressures. That reduces fuel economy and efficiency.

^This is a pretty good summary of how the Feds are trying to fix problems that they have created.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Barack Hussein will be long gone by then (with any luck, he'll still be in a federal prison by then) and the GOP will hopefully have eliminated the EPA, DOE, and repealed this nonsense.

I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Seriously? Federal prison? Maybe he and Bush should be cell mates then, they were both awful Presidents, had questionable ethics, and really expedited the countries eventual Titanic type collision with an iceburg.

Top Bottom