• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Varget is one of the hardest powders to get it to meter correctly... not much you can do outside the normal little tricks... ball powders work way better in progressives where you are not weighing each individual charge.

we have noticed the same thing but since were just shooting beer cans that matter that much. However I would be interested in knowing what ball powder you like. Also is there something more economical to load than Varget?:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I am very satisfied with using Hodgdon H335 in my AR. Nice ball powder that meters great in my Dillon 550B. Not to mention I use it when I load up some competition rounds with my Chargemaster to exact weights and printing sub moa using Sierra Matchkings.

I'm not saying it's better or worse than Varget, just saying it's a great alternative for progressive loaded rounds.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    When I started loading .223 for real accuracy using Varget and Reloder 15, I ended up getting a Lyman 1200 DPS III. It lets me weigh each charge accurately and fairly fast. I also like using it for loading near max charges in handgun cartridges, like .357 mag. I use the Dillon powder system for loading all my medium and light pistol cartridges, however.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    One trick that I just did is to put a mirror finish on the inside of the powder measure, and smooth up the powder bars too. Took me less than an hour to do it on two measures using Scotch Brite pads and a Dremel, and it has cut down my charge variations of Reloader 15 tremendously.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My RCBS Uniflow does pretty good with Varget. I just got a new Dillon catalog, and they have an adapter that looks like a RCBS uniflow will thread right in. That may be a way to be accurate and still use Varget. Good Luck

Top Bottom