• ...and so much more!
  • sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I need some help here! I am fairly new to reloading 556/2 23. I have dang near 10k cases, Wife thinks im nuts.

Anyway!!!! I have loaded mainly a all rounds for a 223 charge so far and got that dialed in.

Here is the question! CAN YOU LOAD A 223 CASE TO A 556 CHARGE?

And...... if not! Does anyone know a way to look up head stamps to verify 556 vs 223 cases? I have seperated anything that says 556 or has the nato stamp out and assume they are 556. Anything else that doesnt have 556 or the nato stamp I just assume is 223. Am I off base here? Have i been doing it wrong?! :nailbite:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    5.56 cases may have a crimped primer and need swaged. The 5.56 factory cases are ever so slightly shorter in the neck to accomodate being fired in a dirty chamber so it chambers (think military usage with high round count between cleanings or dirty/dusty conditions). With a proper resize, trim, and chamber gauge check, that doesn't matter anymore.

I load .223 and 5.56 just the same. When I weigh all of my rounds after loading I'll set aside the ones that weigh slightly more. If they are military, they get the OK because the brass may be slightly thicker in 5.56. But the slightly thicker brass (less internal volume) won't add up to much if you are just making plinking loads and/or shooting off hand. I load H335 to around 3,000 fps. If you are going for precision bench shooting or pushing your loads to max psi, it will matter, but I doubt you would be using mixed head stamps if either of those scenarios apply.

Usually a google of the headstamp will give you the manufacturer of the brass.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Both my service rifle and my match rifle are chambered in .223 , I am using 8208XBR with a 69 SMK for my 300 yard and closer load, I'm getting aprox 2900 FPS ....I sort by head stamp (simply because I can make 1 sight adjustment and not wonder if my FPS is varied, how ever I will note that I have hit the X ring with a shot at like 2900 FPS and then seen a 2600 FPS shot also pick up the X ring) .... so my advise, load 'em & spend 'em

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I need some help here! I am fairly new to reloading 556/2 23. I have dang near 10k cases, Wife thinks im nuts.

Anyway!!!! I have loaded mainly a all rounds for a 223 charge so far and got that dialed in.

Here is the question! CAN YOU LOAD A 223 CASE TO A 556 CHARGE?

And...... if not! Does anyone know a way to look up head stamps to verify 556 vs 223 cases? I have seperated anything that says 556 or has the nato stamp out and assume they are 556. Anything else that doesnt have 556 or the nato stamp I just assume is 223. Am I off base here? Have i been doing it wrong?! :nailbite:
    Myself, I have never in the 45+ years of loading ever treated 5.56/223, 7.62X51/308, 30-06 or 300 Win mag any different between commercial or mil spec brass.
    I use small base dies with all that brass, either carbide Dillon or Reddings.
    I have a few Lee's in other calibers that we have lever, bolt, autoloaders or pumps in the same calibers. using small base dies cure the sizing down with picking up unknown brass.
    Most Lee rifle dies that you can buy guns in that caliber in a pump, bolt, lever and autoloader are gonna be small base dies.
    The internet has brought some things to the world as a problem that with what I know, is just not a problem.
    I have "known" brass that I keep in 50-100 plastic boxes, and other brass that I don't sort or keep strait, I tumble it and keep in large ammo cans for it to get processed the next winter.

Oh, with just 10,000 5.56 cases, tell your wife your just getting started.

Lets see if Andy chimes in.
    @Aszerigan

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Myself, I have never in the 45+ years of loading ever treated 5.56/223, 7.62X51/308, 30-06 or 300 Win mag any different between commercial or mil spec brass.
    I use small base dies with all that brass, either carbide Dillon or Reddings.
    I have a few Lee's in other calibers that we have lever, bolt, autoloaders or pumps in the same calibers. using small base dies cure the sizing down with picking up unknown brass.
    Most Lee rifle dies that you can buy guns in that caliber in a pump, bolt, lever and autoloader are gonna be small base dies.
    The internet has brought some things to the world as a problem that with what I know, is just not a problem.
    I have "known" brass that I keep in 50-100 plastic boxes, and other brass that I don't sort or keep strait, I tumble it and keep in large ammo cans for it to get processed the next winter.

Oh, with just 10,000 5.56 cases, tell your wife your just getting started.

Lets see if Andy chimes in.
    @Aszerigan
    Thanks! That totally solves my concerns and also calms my self conscious on not being a hoarder!

All my dies are lee except for my 6.5 creedmoor which is rcbs. The rcbs work but i wish I would've went lee.

So do you use a 556 load chart? Im at 24.5 grains of h335 on 55gr projectile and seems to be a good load.

Last edited:

INP8riot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    West Central
    Thanks! That totally solves my concerns and also calms my self conscious on not being a hoarder!

All my dies are lee except for my 6.5 creedmoor which is rcbs. The rcbs work but i wish I would've went lee.

So do you use a 556 load chart? Im at 24.5 grains of h335 on 55gr projectile and seems to be a good load.
    Without looking at my reloading book going based on memory, I think I settled at 25gr of H335 with a Berry's 55gr bullet. That is a very standard load. 24.5 will be darn close and is more than adequate. Should be just south of 3,000 fps in a 16" barrel. I've read where some go down into the 23's because they like it a little softer.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN

Oh, with just 10,000 5.56 cases, tell your wife you’re just getting started.

Unpopular internet opinion, I totally agree on all counts.

Also, Lee dies are awesome. Their reloading machines are sub par, but they got the dies right.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    No they aren't. At least, none of the new Lake City I ever buyed. That's more than a few.

He’s technically correct, the specs are slightly different but it makes absolutely no difference in loading. It’s more internal case volume than length but loading manuals are so CYA these days, they’re the same load data.

Go back to a Speer Manual from 1970 and you’ll be juicing the rounds compared to the modern books. Legal departments taking all the fun out of it.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    5.56 cases may have a crimped primer and need swaged. The 5.56 factory cases are ever so slightly shorter in the neck to accomodate being fired in a dirty chamber so it chambers (think military usage with high round count between cleanings or dirty/dusty conditions). With a proper resize, trim, and chamber gauge check, that doesn't matter anymore.

I load .223 and 5.56 just the same. When I weigh all of my rounds after loading I'll set aside the ones that weigh slightly more. If they are military, they get the OK because the brass may be slightly thicker in 5.56. But the slightly thicker brass (less internal volume) won't add up to much if you are just making plinking loads and/or shooting off hand. I load H335 to around 3,000 fps. If you are going for precision bench shooting or pushing your loads to max psi, it will matter, but I doubt you would be using mixed head stamps if either of those scenarios apply.

Usually a google of the headstamp will give you the manufacturer of the brass.
    Good info, i seem to be on the right path. I have google foo-d the hell out of head stamps and some especially FC are all over the place on what they are between nato and rem. Federal Commercial is all i chalked it up to and assume its a 223.

I got all the primer pocket tools, i always clean them up. As far as length i havent seen much difference using calipers. IF needed I have been trimming the cases to 1.760-ish give or take a thousandth.

Seems the consensus here loads it all the same. I think im going to test some theory and chrono 10 known 556 vs 223 and see what the results are. My concerns are completely answered by you guys! Much appreciated

Last edited:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I load 223, Look at headstamps then Berdan primed. I save the 556 boxer primed cases. 223 cases are hardly ever over 1.760 and 556 cases are hardly ever under 1.760. Some as long as 1.776. Both can have crimped primers.
    My Speers #14 223/556 data match.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Unpopular internet opinion, I totally agree on all counts.

Also, Lee dies are awesome. Their reloading machines are sub par, but they got the dies right.
    I use a lee turret for pistol calibers and it has treated me well. I use a hornady locl and.load single for rifle and works great. Im not a high volume guy and love just relaxing cranking out a few hundred rounds when I got time. Im probably using caveman tools but they were also FREE99

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I load 223, Look at headstamps then Berdan primed. I save the 556 boxer primed cases. 223 cases are hardly ever over 1.760 and 556 cases are hardly ever under 1.760. Some as long as 1.776. Both can have crimped primers.
    My Speers #14 223/556 data match.
    So you toss the berdan style cases? I dont see to many of those in what i have.

Top Bottom