• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I load 223, Look at headstamps then Berdan primed. I save the 556 boxer primed cases. 223 cases are hardly ever over 1.760 and 556 cases are hardly ever under 1.760. Some as long as 1.776. Both can have crimped primers.
    My Speers #14 223/556 data match.
    Where one ends up with long cases is prepping brass fired in uncle Sam's machine guns in oversized chambers.
    That's why I use a small base sizer die.
    Sometimes the brass is so fat you can't even full length size it.
    And with loading bull sh!t range ammo I use a Lee crimp die in 5.56 and 7.62x51
    You can shoot brass that's even a bit long.
    A case guage is a big help.

I just run all the brass in those calibers through a swedger to eliminate the primer crimp.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Where one ends up with long cases is prepping brass fired in uncle Sam's machine guns in oversized chambers.
    That's why I use a small base sizer die.
    Sometimes the brass is so fat you can't even full length size it.
    And with loading bull sh!t range ammo I use a Lee crimp die in 5.56 and 7.62x51
    You can shoot brass that's even a bit long.
    A case guage is a big help.

I just run all the brass in those calibers through a swedger to eliminate the primer crimp.
    10-4 Sounds like just keep doing what i have been. Lol I bought lee factory crimp dies for basically eveything I reload. Haven't bought a case gauge i just been using calipers for length and plunk testing in a spare barrel. Got all the pocket tools lee makes!

When i started reloading i told the wife inwould be saving money! Well she now rolls her eyes anytime i buy something else :spend:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    TLDR: sort by headstamp matters more than sorting .223 vs 5.56.

While there are differences in the specs on paper, in practice, there's more difference between brass mfr to mfr than there is between mil-spec and non. There*may* be smaller variances mfr to mfr within "mil spec 5.56" brass but there.

Couple years ago I was in a rush to push out about 2k rounds for a big class I was taking plus a little. Didn't sort cases, didn't have enough cases to get that many with one headstamp. Some cases were almost full to the brim, some to the bottom of the shoulder (reflecting varying case volume). (All were within 2-3" @ 100yd out of my x95 with a 3x magnifier and red dot, prone with a sling. which is not to say it doesn't matter to accuracy but that it's not going to make it unusably inaccurate... or at least that it's not the weakest link with me in the chain lol)

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With 10k cases, you have a decent start. I just took a quick look at last year, I fired just over 3600 rounds in practice. 1400 rounds in matches. And this doesn't include 77 & 80 grain loads or rimfire
    I'm just starting to climb into what we, mostly my Thing 2 shot last summer/fall in 5.56 and 9mm and guessing I will be loading around 32 lbs of just rifle powder. That will finish the pulldown BLC2 that I have left. Thats about 9 thousand? 62 grainers.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    TLDR: sort by headstamp matters more than sorting .223 vs 5.56.

While there are differences in the specs on paper, in practice, there's more difference between brass mfr to mfr than there is between mil-spec and non. There*may* be smaller variances mfr to mfr within "mil spec 5.56" brass but there.

Couple years ago I was in a rush to push out about 2k rounds for a big class I was taking plus a little. Didn't sort cases, didn't have enough cases to get that many with one headstamp. Some cases were almost full to the brim, some to the bottom of the shoulder (reflecting varying case volume). (All were within 2-3" @ 100yd out of my x95 with a 3x magnifier and red dot, prone with a sling. which is not to say it doesn't matter to accuracy but that it's not going to make it unusably inaccurate... or at least that it's not the weakest link with me in the chain lol)
    Such a good point!!! I am so critical at sorting cases, I even sort by year. I like to load a 100 at a time and only do one stamp per sitting. I think I may be to critical thats why i started this post on 556 vs 223 to see if I am missing a critical step.

2 to 3" at 100 yards is good. That will take down a target all day! I am about the same with romeo5 and juliet 3x. on LC mil brass.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I load 223, Look at headstamps then Berdan primed. I save the 556 boxer primed cases. 223 cases are hardly ever over 1.760 and 556 cases are hardly ever under 1.760. Some as long as 1.776. Both can have crimped primers.
    My Speers #14 223/556 data match.

According to my Speer #15 - there are subtle differences in cases and charges.
    The technical notes mention they should be crimped, roll crimp for cannelures and taper crimp for projectiles without cannelure. Not sure I've ever crimped mine, I use Redding dies that apparently roll crimp if you set them up that way but I'm not sure how I should be doing it now after reading this thread. The loads I've worked up for 69gr hpbt have best accuracy @ 22.1gr of 8208XBR in my Colt AR 16" AR with 1.75" @ 100yds.

1710265636849.png

1710267585871.png

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Such a good point!!! I am so critical at sorting cases, I even sort by year. I like to load a 100 at a time and only do one stamp per sitting. I think I may be to critical thats why i started this post on 556 vs 223 to see if I am missing a critical step.

2 to 3" at 100 yards is good. That will take down a target all day! I am about the same with romeo5 and juliet 3x. on LC mil brass.
    well, it's good for a bullpup that most people say 3-4moa, magnified red dot, and me steering. lol Adequate to burn through 1400 in a weekend.

Point is: forget 223-556 distinctions, just sort by headstamp if you're at all worried about it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    According to my Speer #15 - there are subtle differences in cases and charges.
    The technical notes mention they should be crimped, roll crimp for cannelures and taper crimp for projectiles without cannelure. Not sure I've ever crimped mine, I use Redding dies that apparently roll crimp if you set them up that way but I'm not sure how I should be doing it now after reading this thread. The loads I've worked up for 69gr hpbt have best accuracy @ 22.1gr of 8208XBR in my Colt AR 16" AR with 1.75" @ 100yds.

View attachment 339511

View attachment 339524
    1¾ at a hundred with a carbine....wow.....I hope your prone & a sling with a 4x optic? Then that's to brag about

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks! That totally solves my concerns and also calms my self conscious on not being a hoarder!

All my dies are lee except for my 6.5 creedmoor which is rcbs. The rcbs work but i wish I would've went lee.

So do you use a 556 load chart? Im at 24.5 grains of h335 on 55gr projectile and seems to be a good load.
    Pretty close to what i'm loading my 223 rounds.
    Berrys Copper Jacket FMJBT 55 H335 23.5gr 2.229 oal

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    After reading all this info, i come to the conclusion that what was said in the past that 556 cases have more pressure because of charge and thicker cases isn't actually true?? Is it the actual bullet crimp creating the higher pressures? I have only ever bought 1 box off 556 in brass, rest was mainly tula steel case because i never had any issues.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    After reading all this info, i come to the conclusion that what was said in the past that 556 cases have more pressure because of charge and thicker cases isn't actually true?? Is it the actual bullet crimp creating the higher pressures? I have only ever bought 1 box off 556 in brass, rest was mainly tula steel case because i never had any issues.
    .223 spans a huge range of loads. 5.56 is a very small, very specific range that overlaps part of it that happens to be dimensionally nearly identical. There are also things like the leade; how far the bullet has to travel until it reaches the rifling.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    .223 spans a huge range of loads. 5.56 is a very small, very specific range that overlaps part of it that happens to be dimensionally nearly identical. There are also things like the leade; how far the bullet has to travel until it reaches the rifling.
    So i know bullet weights, is that what your referring to that heavier bullet=more powder.

sapper83

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    What are you shooting the steel cases out of? My ARs can be finicky, and extractors take a beating with steel I had chipped one when I fired two 20-round packs given to me so I won't shoot steel out of anything but my AKs

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    What are you shooting the steel cases out of? My ARs can be finicky, and extractors take a beating with steel I had chipped one when I fired two 20-round packs given to me so I won't shoot steel out of anything but my AKs
    Shooting from just regular i guess cheap 16" 556 uppers and lowers i had milled out. Nothing special. Pic below of daughters i built lower and upper was already assembled

Top Bottom