• ...and so much more!
  • LostWander

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    SWFL
    Hey guys,
    I recently bought a Mossberg 590 A1 and was hoping someone more enlightened than myself would be able to help figure out an issue I'm having. This is my first shotgun so I'm learning as I go.

My google fu must be weak because I have yet to be able to find an answer despite lots of searching. I bought and confirmed that I was purchasing a model of 18.5" 590a1 that claimed to be 7rds. I broke it down within the first day to learn my shotgun and clean it and did not find a dowel rod blocking the magazine tube. Which is why i am all the more confused that I cannot for the life of me fit more than six in the shotgun. The best it will do is five in the tube and one in the chamber. I'm loading it with 2 3/4 00 buck from Winchester. What I have found in my searching is that manufacturers sometimes have different actual lengths which might explain why the seventh round almost fits but screws up the feed. But so far I've tried buck and slugs from two different companies and no dice

While this is not something that overly matters in the long run, I did pay for something that I'm not getting and want to make sure I'm not just being stupid. I've put a side saddle on it so I guess one less round isn't going to make or break it, just slightly annoying.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
    Lost

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I don't own a shotgun at this point, but is it possible that the capacity is total including one in the chamber? 6 in the magazine tube and one in the chamber (6+1=7). Just a shot in the dark.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't own a shotgun at this point, but is it possible that the capacity is total including one in the chamber? 6 in the magazine tube and one in the chamber (6+1=7). Just a shot in the dark.

18" barrel I think this is correct. 6+1=7.

Some may think it's silly but I keep my 6 shell magazine loaded to 5 in its ready position. I have my reasons.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Model number would help.
    -edit-

I know all the 18.5 inch models on their website shot 6+1, but some of the older 590a1's were 5+1.

Model number will help us find out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well OP mentioned 5 tube and 1 in chamber. So either it is a standard 500 magazine that holds 5 shells or something is getting bound up. OP does the gun have some type of screw on or adjoining extension on the magazine tube? I am not as familiar with the 500/590 magazines but in an 870 I have seen the brass edge of the shell get caught where the magazine extension joins the rest of the tube. Pretty common in an 870 and one of the three reasons I keep my gun stored with 5 shells in the tube.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    590a1's currently produced are 6+1 and 8+1.

They used to make a 5+1 590a1. Just because he bought it new doesn't mean it is not old production.

A picture or model number would help in figuring out if it's a 5+1 or if there is something screwy with his magazine spring/follower.

For instance, This is a 5+1 590a1. Look at the magazine tube.
    81223.jpg

This is a 6+1. Notice the difference?
    50774-catalog.jpg

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If the magazine tube doesn't go to the end of an 18.5" barrel you have a 5 in the tube model. If the magazine tube is flush with the end of the barrel it's the 7 in the tube. The good thing is for a little over $100 you can add the extra rounds with an S&J magazine extender.

LostWander

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2016
    SWFL
    Hey guys sorry it's been a long weekend. I can only get 5+ one, so it must be an older production and my gun shop didn't check for me. Not a big deal, it's one less around. I can get a picture up when I get home if you guys still want.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
      IMG_1207.jpg
      893.9 KB · Views: 24

Pinger5560

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2016
    Columbia City
    Hey guys sorry it's been a long weekend. I can only get 5+ one, so it must be an older production and my gun shop didn't check for me. Not a big deal, it's one less around. I can get a picture up when I get home if you guys still want.

One good thing about the 590A1 is that you can get a mag tube extension for it, to increase the capacity. I have a guy I shoot with that has a 590A1 & he has the +2 extension on his. Now the 500 & the Maverick 88 you cannot do this, I got the Maverick 88 with the 8+1 capacity. Good shotgun for the money.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Not saying this is your issue, but more for genenral information, but my understanding is that the length for shot gun shells is the full length of the hull before it is loaded and crimped. I read that on the internet somewhere, so it could be wrong.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country

If your gun is the one pictured on that paper, then something is wrong. You should be able to get 6 2 3/4 shells or 5 3 inch shells.

I would check for dents on the mag tube, or check the spring. Something may be binding.

Top Bottom