673 cops patrol the site of the World Trade Center; Over-policing slows the rebuild

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Last edited:

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Dang it 673 does seem like over kill. I cant think of anything positive to say. Wait cant 673 officers keep another terrorist from flying a plane into the building?
    coolface.jpg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Should I explain to them that 673 police officers don't work 24/7 which means that the actual officers on site, assuming 40 hour shifts, is actually about 160?

Should I explain that the World Trade Center site is more than 2 buildings and actually comprises 16 acres of lower Manhattan property, giving this the policing power of 10 officers per fully developed acre of skyscrapers?

Should I explain that because the World Trade Center site is municipally owned, security is provided by police rather than private security firms?

Nah, screw it. Why let logic get in the way of a cop bashing thread?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Should I explain to them that 673 police officers don't work 24/7 which means that the actual officers on site, assuming 40 hour shifts, is actually about 160?

Should I explain that the World Trade Center site is more than 2 buildings and actually comprises 16 acres of lower Manhattan property, giving this the policing power of 10 officers per fully developed acre of skyscrapers?

Should I explain that because the World Trade Center site is municipally owned, security is provided by police rather than private security firms?

No. It doesn't fit into the unicorn and cotton candy view of fantasy island.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

160 on duty at a time? That's more police than patrol the entire town I live in of 35,000 people!! Do police have to actually walk through businesses to keep them safe? Or could they be trimmed back and simply respond to calls? Does it make sense for this complex to have a larger police force than any other precinct? (The WTC is not its own precinct BTW). Would this many cops have prevented 9/11?? Its not like ritzy skyscrapers are exactly the type of place that a lot of gang-bangers hang out at. This is strictly a result of the War on Terror.

Boo hoo. I'm not criticizing your brethren in blue. Whoever hires them needs a head check though. 9/11 was not due to a lack of police.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I don't get it, 1000 officers on site, at one time would have only increased the death toll on the attack by about that many. It's all for the warm fuzzies anyways. You can just take some Prozac and get the some feeling I believe.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis

the cops are clearly wrong here... silverstein is putting up a private building... why are we providing security for him??? path handles the subway security,,, most of the property backs up to streets... this is waste... by the way,,,whatever happened to that stupid freedom tower with the beacon they showed us plans of??? they dropped that bad idea... the new building looks just like a building... i wonder if it is built with the new fire codes of making sure it can withstand a large and quick kerosene fire??? and that it wont pancake collapse??? and that its not being built out from a central core support because those collapse and explode??? what??? its not??? its being built just like every other skyscraper and wtc1 and 2??? how can this be???

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Machete brings up the other point I forgot to mention. Why do taxpayers have to pay for an army of cops to provide security on private property?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To make it truly safe, they should make the area a no-fly zone. That way any criminal that hijacks a plane would be deterred from crashing into the new structure.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    we already have locally what I believe a conflict of interest. police off duty wearing their uniforms with full arrest powers and ability to generate radio calls, but working for private security firms or companies in a security role but wearing their uniform. Crock of crap.

so cops guarding private property or individuals is no new concept.

In new york you already have police dressed as soldiers walking around with automatic weapons. THE BRITISH ARE HERE, THE BRITISH ARE HERE!!!!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    we already have locally what I believe a conflict of interest. police off duty wearing their uniforms with full arrest powers and ability to generate radio calls, but working for private security firms or companies in a security role but wearing their uniform. Crock of crap.

so cops guarding private property or individuals is no new concept.

In new york you already have police dressed as soldiers walking around with automatic weapons. THE BRITISH ARE HERE, THE BRITISH ARE HERE!!!!

I agree 100% on this and they need to get rid of take home cars. That would save money if you didn't have police officers driving their patrol cars everywhere off duty and should cut down on cars needed as well. You are either on duty in uniform with your car or off duty without uniform and no patrol car.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    I agree 100% on this and they need to get rid of take home cars. That would save money if you didn't have police officers driving their patrol cars everywhere off duty and should cut down on cars needed as well. You are either on duty in uniform with your car or off duty without uniform and no patrol car.

:+1:

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Oh yes, I forgot. Just because one set of terrorists attacked from the air means we have to eliminate all ground defenses because there was never a ground attack attempt in 1993 or a bomb attempt in Times Square just last year. :rolleyes:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Oh yes, I forgot. Just because one set of terrorists attacked from the air means we have to eliminate all ground defenses because there was never a ground attack attempt in 1993 or a bomb attempt in Times Square just last year. :rolleyes:

why is it the taxpayers job to protect larrys building??? lots of buildings in nyc already built,,,with people coming in and out,,, why not have 700 cops on each of those???

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    why is it the taxpayers job to protect larrys building??? lots of buildings in nyc already built,,,with people coming in and out,,, why not have 700 cops on each of those???

:rolleyes: Can someone explain to him how the port authority owns the site and Larry Silverstein owns the lease please? I have no patience for this today.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

im lazy today. so can you please refresh my memory on how many times we have been invaded here on U.S. soil by terrorist who have been stopped by police. .... police :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    dont quote me news stories of a couple lone nuts who were paraded by the police after the govt threw them a bone for the capture after they did all the work. cops dont do **** to fight terrorism. if you wanna argue this point further, then PM me and we can compare credentials on fighting terrorism.
    Police are here to enforce laws, military is here to protect us from invasion. cops playing soldier some more.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Not interested in a whip it out and measure argument Ranger but the way we do things on US soil is police patrol the neighborhoods here, not soldiers. I have no problem with the number of police put on the security of this high value 16 acreage area but I would have a problem with that number of military personnel in full military gear there. This says nothing against either soldiers or police but we can't confuse the proper deployment to the proper places of either.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom