7.62/.308 Battle Rifles - Looking for INGO Opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    What I hear from a source who should know, is that the Scar doesn't hold up well to full auto abuse. Personally, I'd pick one of the others.

+1 for SCAR 17. My guess is you aren't going to use it full auto. My other guess is that not much civilian hardware holds up well to full auto abuse for .308.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I have a Scar 17. Nuff said. You know where my vote lies.

I eventually want to get a DMR 308 semi auto and have leaned towards the DD.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I had a chance to run the SOCOM 16 out to 300yrds. Was going to be my choice if I could afford the ammo.

Stepped down to an AR. After owning an AR I would consider an AR10 over the SOCOM 16

Check out the DPMS LR308. I think POF is making an AR15 sized gun now that launches 308

If price isn't really an issue why settle for a lesser gun and get a DPMS?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    +1 for SCAR 17. My guess is you aren't going to use it full auto. My other guess is that not much civilian hardware holds up well to full auto abuse for .308.

Yeah, I don't think any of the options would hold up well to FA. So that isn't really a fair comparison, nor is it a realistic criteria.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    I don't post much because I don't feel that I have much to add to the conversation most of the time. .308 battle rifles/DMR is one of those areas where I can add though.

My .308 adventure started with a RFB, never could get comfortable with the fact that I had to adjust the gas for different weather and ammo. Definitely liked the 20" barrel with a 30" total length though. I think there are some aftermarket upgrades to help with the adjustable gas situation now.

Then got an L1A1, loved shooting it, super accurate with crap surplus ammo. Didn't like how heavy it was and the inch pattern magazines were a bit hard to get and a little pricey for my liking.

Moved over to an FAL, fixed the magazine problem now that I could run both inch and metrics. Wasn't as accurate as the L1A1 and still too heavy.

Shot my buddies M1A. Love the look and feel, but I was brought up in the 'AK/AR rifles have pistol grips' generation so I could never shoot it well. Also mags are really pricey, especially if you are like me and have 20+ mags for every gun you own.

Shot a SCAR 17, probably the best 'battle rifle' out there. I think with a vortex 1-6 scope the thing would be about unstoppable. When I was looking at them though the mags were expensive and the magwell adapter that lets you shoot on the SR-25 mags wasn't available.

This is when I transitioned from Battle Rifle to DMR. Bought an FNAR. That gun was way more accurate than I am, but again, mags are really expensive and at the time very difficult to get and no aftermarket support.

Finally settled on a .308 AR platform. SR-25 pattern and not Armalite AR-10. I got a POF with 20" fluted barrel. Good weight, excellent aftermarket support (not that I've needed that), cheap Magpul 20 rd. mags, super accurate, easy to suppress, etc. Installed a Vortex 2.5-10X FFP scope and couldn't be happier. They also make one with a 16" barrel for more of a Battle Rifle.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I opted for the SCAR because:

1. Under 8lbs.
    2. Holds MOA
    3. Still compact enough to be workable.
    4. Gas piston.
    5. Left side charging.

1. Every time I shoot long range I have to carry the rifle through the woods to the location. Heavy rifles are terrible when adding the rest of my range equipment.

2. What is the point of a .308 if it can't hold minute groups? MoM (Minute of Man) is fine to 300, after that things get spotty. Nothing is worse than shooting an inaccurate rifle at range. It's like playing a game that the rules keep changing.

3. See #1. Long rifles are cumbersome to carry.

4. I suppress everything anymore. Gasses coming back at me are a non issue, even shooting cheap ammo.

5. Coming off of a cheek weld after settling in is a pain. It also gives me a visual indication of the status of the rifle. (I can see a FTF/FTE due to the charging handle being farther back)

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Buy once, cry once. That SCAR has a "cry for a while" price tag! I looked into DSA FALs. Was told the recoil on the Para is not something anyone would want as they can't use a stock to house what soaks it up. Voyagers start at $900 new, and you could have some FANCY optic with what you save. Adjustable gas too. Other than that I'd build an AR. I know those options aren't as kickass as some of the stuff you mentioned, but when it comes to "battle" how could you go wrong with one of the most time tested battle rifles ever made?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes, FAL.
    I have a Semi-auto Austrian STG-58 that I built from an excellent all matching parts set with an Imbel receiver and it's a sweet rifle.
    Other than that, an M1A.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Remembered to add, FWIW, I lusted after SOCOM Scouts and SCARs and the RFB as well. The Ruger Gunsite many say is a beautiful bargain and I'd own it in a heartbeat.

I read somewhere there are things to keep mindful of with the SCAR (otherwise costly repairs) and it has the reciprocating handle.

The RFB will supposedly be hard to clear of a malfunction, due to its encasement in solid steel, otherwise IMHO, it seems to be one of the best inventions in .308. I dream of a lightweight, maneuverable and compact .308 and the RFB is a dream come true. Bullpup is underrated! Hell, I'm bullpup!

Your purchase will be a tough decision. If money's not a concern, pick them all up to try them out and buy what sings to you. Buy what makes you say "This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine." You will know it when you feel it and you just say "This is me.". That's how I felt after I shot the BA Stealth .308, but that's a different story.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Perhaps I am missing one that I should be considering also? I welcome all comments. I am not at all an expert and value everyone’s opinions and suggestions.

How about the LMT L129 or KAC M110?

Maybe a GI (get it? German Issue, gun puns are the best) of the PTR GayDry clones?

That Fulton Armory M14 ESR gets my juices flowing.

Oh, heck, I can go on all night.

Write all the suggestions down, assign a card to each and then draw one out of a hat!:D

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    How about the LMT L129 or KAC M110?

Maybe a GI (get it? German Issue, gun puns are the best) of the PTR GayDry clones?

That Fulton Armory M14 ESR gets my juices flowing.

Oh, heck, I can go on all night.

Write all the suggestions down, assign a card to each and then draw one out of a hat!:D

Don't you mean "hun gun pun"?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First off, all of the rifles you mentioned are great so you're not going to go wrong. Of those the closest thing I've got is an M1A scout that I really like and I'm very happy with. I bought it because it's close enough to a Garand that I can get the feel of that as well. Sort of like a two for one type of thing. Having said that I bought all my Springfield products long before their little stunt in Illinois. I don't know that I'd send them a penny again, or at least not for a good long while. After what they did our relationship is on a permanent time out until I see something that changes my mind.

I'd also echo all the other comments on the FAL rifles as a quality option to consider as well.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I can only say that among your group I own an M14, not a Socom. Solid gun, wouldn't hesitate to build another one or buy a Springfield,. That said, the DD and SCAR are attractive. FAL....... Yes. On my list

Top Bottom