7.62/.308 Battle Rifles - Looking for INGO Opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Love my HK41 (like a -91), but it is truly a brass mangler, and like someone else said, throws the brass into the next county.

It's also a LOT dirtier after firing than my STG-58/Imbel FAL build. When it comes to ease of cleaning, the gas piston system beats the delayed blow-back system all day long.

Both have acceptable battle rifle accuracy (minute of *********). Both are HEAVY if that matters to you.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I picture the hk,ptr, cetme rifles with the 308 battle rifles. I know the scars and m1a exist as I have a champion m1a. However when I think battle rifle I think of one that I wouldn’t mind getting beat up, dirty and that could run in the field despite the nasty conditions. I have always wanted to pick up a cetme or sorts and run it through it’s paces to see if it lasts. Man they are heavy!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Gotta love Aero Precision. I matched one of their lowers with just about any upper I could throw at it! So what are the specs? What type of rifle did you build and its purpose?

They're out of stock at the moment, but it was this one:

Aero Precision .308 / Lr-308 Assembled Upper 20" W/ 15" Premium Super Slim Key Mod Handguard

1:10 twist I believe. Just wanted a little longer barrel and easier to attach a bipod to. (My old upper is for sale in Parts and Accessories). I'm limited to 350 yards at the club where I'm a member, but I'd like to try some longer distances sometime. It was built from PSA's standard build kit, so really just your basic AR setup. Might like to look into a better stock for it someday too.

Went from this upper:

To this:

Last edited:

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    FAL SBR FTW

jrxogj.jpg

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I have owned my M&P 10 for about a year now and love it. I have only put about 500 rounds through it so far, but have had zero issues. Mainly Federal XM80 and my handloads, but also commercial 308 and some Russian steel cased stuff. Not a single issue. Between my brother and I, we accounted for 7 deer with it this last season. Some of the parts are proprietary, but that seems to be the case with just about all of the 308 guns. There are some parts on it that are common and it takes PMAGS. The weight comes in a little under 8 pounds. I put a Leupold 3x9 VXR Patrol on it and with my hand loads am shooting just about an inch at 100 yards. I haven't really got into load development too much, and if it stays at an inch, I doubt I even bother. It gets two thumbs up from me.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    308 SBR. Goodbye hearing. Most people I know that have 308 SBRs have to wear earplugs AND earmuffs. The blast is like a damn grenade going off.

One thing about the FALs, is there are TWO patterns for these, and the stuff may or may not exchange. There is the INCH (Comononwealth) patern. (L1A1,C1A1, Think former british empire nations). And then there is the METRIC Patern (Belgians and everyone else). Even the mags may or may not exchange.

One thing about the AR10, is the larger volume of DI gas WILL foul the gun quicker. Bigger cartridge, more gas.

The other US gun the M14 is an expensive rifle if done right.

G3 types are probably your best bet. Just ahh, don't plan on reloading..... They are brass eaters.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Back before I knew very much about FALS, and I still don’t know that much, I stumbled into a deal on a genuine Argentine FAL, apparently much desired, for 700 bucks. The thing was beautiful, shot great, and I really liked it. Because I was stupid, I traded it even for a, please don’t hate me,................WASR 10 AK! Man I wish I still had that FAL. A really good rifle.

Ngale496

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Fishers
    I love my older 1970's M1a, I also love my FN FAL. Both Great guns. Just depends on your goal. The HK 91 is fun as well. all expensive but all a good investment.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Back before I knew very much about FALS, and I still don’t know that much, I stumbled into a deal on a genuine Argentine FAL, apparently much desired, for 700 bucks. The thing was beautiful, shot great, and I really liked it. Because I was stupid, I traded it even for a, please don’t hate me,................WASR 10 AK! Man I wish I still had that FAL. A really good rifle.

I feel your pain, brother. I stupidly sold my Belgian FN FAL 50.00 years ago, thinking, no biggie, I can always buy a replacement. Easier (and cheaper) said than done!

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    FAL is all nice and good, But really - a PTR91 with sharp shooter stock, and good glass is as good as the rest. Softer recoiling and cheap as can be magazines, most of which are marked HK. I carreid a G3 in Columbia and loved it...weight be darned. Ive had several iterations of it in the cvilian world...cetme, SAR, Hesse.....PTR is a cadillac. best running one ive owned.

Top Bottom