7.62/.308 Battle Rifles - Looking for INGO Opinions...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmeseeks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 19, 2017
    Bloomington
    FAL is all nice and good, But really - a PTR91 with sharp shooter stock, and good glass is as good as the rest. Softer recoiling and cheap as can be magazines, most of which are marked HK. I carreid a G3 in Columbia and loved it...weight be darned. Ive had several iterations of it in the cvilian world...cetme, SAR, Hesse.....PTR is a cadillac. best running one ive owned.
    PTR’s are nice but ergonomics suck, used one while training with the German army and I was glad to give it back...try checking a stoppage while in the prone and not expose yourself from cover.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    PLEASE stop telling people you can't reload CETME/PTR91 brass. If you have a port buffer to keep the dents away and can find them after they get flung into the next county, they reload just fine. Striping from the DI system is cosmetic.

Napalmx9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bluffton
    FAL SBR FTW

Nice! How do you like the DSA rail cover? I really need to get one, and maybe have this barrel cut down a tad bit before I put a can on it.

ws0Wd0Gh.jpg

Mrmeseeks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 19, 2017
    Bloomington
    Those are nice FAL's, I would say SCAR 17 or FAL for the win, the rest either have not been battle proven or have operational issues. Oprods bent, weakened aluminum over time...etc

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A quick look to wiki shows that the G3 and its variants serve or have served with over 75 countries in countless battles. The only reliability issue I've ever heard came from a guy who fell into the corner of an APC and bent the receiver...the weapon still functioned just not reliably through a full mag; he thought it was a weak design because of that, I think he should have been thankful the weapon still functioned after his buffoonery.

If you don't like the placement of the charging handle that's a personal issue.

Most of the weapons referenced on this thread are quality...pick the one you like.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    A quick look to wiki shows that the G3 and its variants serve or have served with over 75 countries in countless battles. The only reliability issue I've ever heard came from a guy who fell into the corner of an APC and bent the receiver...the weapon still functioned just not reliably through a full mag; he thought it was a weak design because of that, I think he should have been thankful the weapon still functioned after his buffoonery.

Most of the weapons referenced on this thread are quality...pick the one you like.

Thor, was that a German G3 from back in the day? :):

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Nice! How do you like the DSA rail cover? I really need to get one, and maybe have this barrel cut down a tad bit before I put a can on it.

ws0Wd0Gh.jpg

The cover is very well built and holds in place like a rock. It is a great platform for mounting an optic. Likewise is the quad rail. Makes a forward grip very steady

Jump62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Fenwick Island

I got to ask if the Rifle got bent while mounting the APC did the Infantryman get bent or damaged too? If it happened to me and to my rifle I would have been impossible to live with all day until I could get my rifle fixed. G3s are built very stout.
    Jump62
    aka Paul

survivor of Reforger 81 and being crossed attached to the Armored Maniacs of the 4th Panzer Grenadiers Division

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I got to ask if the Rifle got bent while mounting the APC did the Infantryman get bent or damaged too?

Not really, he had the rifle slung across his back and jerked a crate off the ground he was loading, over compensated and slammed into the back corner of the APC. The rifle basically took the blow...and then of course it was the rifles fault :rolleyes:.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    The Bundeswehr didn't think so. But this is getting to the whose dress do you think is prettier stage. Take whichever one you like and wear it. :ingo:

Mrmeseeks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 19, 2017
    Bloomington
    The Bundeswehr didn't think so. But this is getting to the whose dress do you think is prettier stage. Take whichever one you like and wear it. :ingo:

I think it had more to relying on the Belgians to supply arms and parts over buying a good design from the Spanish of which they could produce themselves.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think it had more to relying on the Belgians to supply arms and parts over buying a good design from the Spanish of which they could produce themselves.

You mean buying back the design that was originally a German design. The Cetme was based on the STG45, an updated STG44. The German engineers responsible went to Spain with their design. It because the Cetme. The Germans simply brought everything back to Germany to become the G3.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You mean buying back the design that was originally a German design. The Cetme was based on the STG45, an updated STG44. The German engineers responsible went to Spain with their design. It because the Cetme. The Germans simply brought everything back to Germany to become the G3.

:yesway:Yup...though they did give the other designs a fair trial.

Top Bottom