• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have a mild addiction to SKS rifles. And its ammo. (I have a frequent buyer's card from Classic Firearms)

But this other thing keeps knocking...
    View attachment 49152
    M&P Sport II

But Mr. Obvious keeps whispering to me that with so much 7.62x39 on hand I should find an AR that shoots it like this one:
    View attachment 49153

Should I stick with more SKS's and ammo?
    Should I give the 7.63x39 a try in an AR and if so is the Bear Creek a decent entry level one?
    Should I give it up and build a second inventory with the M&P's & the 5.56 NATO

What to do... I'm just so in love with the smell of old canvas, leather & cosmoline.

Thoughts?

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wow! That's a great price. Not familiar with Bear Creek. I have a ARAK-47 and I enjoy it alot. However, I got my upper and lower from two different vendors and I have been buying from them since. They seem to match perfectly. I don't shoot steel though. I like the way my rifle shoots the nice 7.62x39 brass. :D

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Do you know if that is a standard AK mag on that rifle? Can't tell from their description. If it is, that would make it an even better buy for those that love the 7.62x39.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Do you know if that is a standard AK mag on that rifle? Can't tell from their description. If it is, that would make it an even better buy for those that love the 7.62x39.

Web page says: "Actual rifle has full heavy barrel and 30 round metal magazine."

I called and they say it uses an AR magazine not a standard AK.

Anyone have comment about sticking with 7.62x39 and adding the AR to the fleet?

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I bought that model, despite all the I.O. critics. Had it about 8 months but have not shot it much. Okay so far, but a couple of my mags are difficult to snap into place. Prefer the SKS to the AK platform. Another option may be to put one of those mag adaptors on one of your SKSs.

I have struggled with the idea of adding other calibers. On one hand, it is nice to be able to buy a LOT of the same caliber ammo. On the other hand, having a variety is kind of like diversifying your monetary investments, in case one type becomes difficult to get or the price increases dramatically. I'm leaning more toward the latter these days and just bought a rifle that uses a caliber I did not have before.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Personally I'd get one that used ak mags. There are a couple of different options out there. Psa and MGI in particular. Usually they require a special upper also, or machining away some material inside. That or get a mutant. Stronger bolt. Ak is still the best platform for this caliber though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I built a frankengun a few years back in 7.62x39 using Model 1 Sales barrel and bolt carrier group.
    Had feed issues right off the bat.
    Switched to CProducts mags and have not had one single problem.

Shoots to point of aim, feeds and fires just fine.
    I like my frankengun, but if you go the 7.62x39 in an AR route, save yourself the headaches and buy CProducts mags to start with.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have read a lot of stories where the bolt fails. The larger diameter case makes them have to machine away more steel off the bolt. The rim by the locking lugs is pretty thin on 7.63x39 AR bolts.

If I was to get into the 7.62x39 game, I'd go with an SKS fitted for AK mags.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have one, an AR-47. Works fine and has for many years. I'd sell it too as I am starting to get rid of a lot of my weapons and trying to get myself to the ones I shoot all the time. I love AK's so I shoot my 762x39 through them. I have this but haven't shot it a lot recently.
    main.php

takes all AR stuff so can be customized as you wish.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The only one I've ever really liked is the CMMG Mutant. The thing is engineered from the ground up to be a 7.62x39. It's basically part AR15 and part AR10. It doesn't have a 5.56mm bolt that's been hogged out to hold a much larger 7.62x39 case head. It uses AK mags like they all should. It's accurate even with Tula ammo.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Can't argue with an AK tough I haven't ever had a good experience with IO anything and I go back a ways with them,

In any case mine is also an Upper made for the caliber, not converted from something else. The lower is made to take the AK mags as well, not re-engineered.

I wish you luck, I do prefer an AK to an AR all day long. :yesway:

Top Bottom