• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    In any case mine is also an Upper made for the caliber, not converted from something else. The lower is made to take the AK mags as well, not re-engineered.
    I want to point out, for the sake of clarity for those shopping for a 7.62x39 AR that the AR-47 (produced and sold by PSA) does in fact use a standard 5.56mm bolt that's been cut to accept the larger 7.62x39 round. This is known to cause problems in high round count guns as the bolt is no longer sufficiently strong enough due to the amount of material removed for long term durability. Here's an example of the bolt failures common to these types of conversions.

all.jpg

The AR-47 does have a redesigned lower to accept AK magazines which addresses the known issues with AR type mags converted to hold 7.62x39.

Fortunately PSA is still making bolts for the guns and they're not horribly expensive. I would highly recommend owners of such rifles to buy one or two spare bolts just in case they go out of production down the road and if you shoot your gun regularly.

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Not sure what your budget is but my CMMG MK47 is my favorite rifle. I love the 7.62x39 but hate the way the AK looks. MK47 is spot on and eats steel ammo just fine

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Any reason you chose to go with IO? I'm just curious, they have the worse name in the business without a doubt when it comes to AKs.
    I have purchased a number of things from Classic... and have been convinced more than once to purchase based on their spokesperson Ben's evaluation.I was somewhat aware of I.O.'s history. When I watched the attached video where Ben addresses the past quality issues I felt like I would give the new company a try.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK1J3RPCbVI

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I would get a VEPR in its import form and then slowly add the furniture as you can afford it. It's totally usable in it's import configuration until that time. Meanwhile, you have the best made AK on the market at any price sans something like the new Galil Ace which is a salty $1700.

Michael762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Centeral
    Wasr can be had at a fair price well below the I.O. And you get 1000x better gun, I sold mine and have a Saiga and an AWS AK on the way. I bought an AR to shoot AR rounds and an AK to shoot AK rounds. The way it's supposed to be lol. Plus I heard 7.62 AR has problems, not the Mutant though it has a bigger bolt and carrier

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    Based upon the reviews I have seen I would NEVER buy an IO AK. Spend about $50-75 more and get an RAS-47 IMO.

I agree 100% I never hear good thing about IO or RAS NEVER, Me personally would just grab up a wasr 10/63 or spend more money and get something tons better, for I have had several 10/63 and never had any trouble outta them what so ever..IMO IO and RAS-47 ARE ****! save your money and get something tons better youll be happy you did

Top Bottom